For those of you that have had any sort of success...

Options
brittanyjeanxo
brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
This is, sadly, not a success story, but a question to those who have had one. Did you find that working out every day vs. the recommended three times a week helped or hindered your weight loss/inches loss? I personally have been working out every day, and I have lost 7 pounds. I know eventually I'm going to hit that plateau but for now, should I do 3 times, 4 times, every day, or just what works for me?

Replies

• nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    Do what your works for you, what makes you feel like you are doing something without trying to kill yourself. i workout everyday but switch up my workouts....cardio then strength train cardio strength train....then sundays i usally rest. if you hit a plateau, change the exercises.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I really is what works for you. You also have to consider what kind of workout it is you are doing. Is a big workout with a burn of over 500 calories??? If so, those only 3-4 times a week should be good and maybe a 30 min walk on the other days.

Just remember the 1200 min calories. If you only eat 1200 and burn say 500 more in exercise then you may not be eating enough.

Don't forget your water, protein and fiber!!!

You can do it!
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you..I work out 6 days a week changing it up with weights and cardio...on my rest day i usually go for a walk with my kids.
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week - I force myself to take 1 day off or else I would probably go everyday! Do what feels good for you!
  • StormChaser217
    StormChaser217 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 3 days a week , but I am going to start exercising everyday except for Sunday ( thats my day off , lol )
    I have a lot of weight to lose .
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I've heard ONE rest day a week is important. Never heard that you should only work out 3 days. I try for 6 days a week.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree - do what works for you. I usually work out 5 to 6 days per week and honestly, that's not just for fitness, that's also because I like earning the extra calories for the days when I need them (which is most days LOL).
  • jeankh
    jeankh Posts: 68
    Options
    I've just been doing it when it works for me. Some weeks its everyday, some its only one or two times, just whenever I can fit it in. I lose about 1-1.5 lbs a week
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    Do what your works for you, what makes you feel like you are doing something without trying to kill yourself. i workout everyday but switch up my workouts....cardio then strength train cardio strength train....then sundays i usally rest. if you hit a plateau, change the exercises.

^ this is great advice! just do what works for you but NO INJURIES, PLEASE (as jillian M would say).

i'm celebrating my success of losing 2.4 lbs! yay!
  • NuMe46
    NuMe46 Posts: 128
    Options
    Agree with doing what works for you. I do cardio every day but switch out strength training concentrating on upper body one day then lower body the next day. Sundays I usually just do some cardio. If you hit a plateau then it is time to change your routine. I heard of a trick of wearing a vest while doing cardio and putting weights in the pockets equal to the amount of weight you have lost. Might try that myself.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    For me, initially I worked out 6 times a week. I also got in some double work outs (morning than evening). But if there was a day I was really dreading it or really tired, I listened to my body and missed that workout, or did something much less vigorous. I set a goal for myself of 5 lbs a month. That seems really small, but for me it was managable. There have been months I have lost more, but only 1 where I only lost 4. Having that modest goal has kept me from getting discouraged.

Hang in there and take one choice at a time. Before you know it, you will be that success story you see in others!!:flowerforyou:
  • kaylamayers
    kaylamayers Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I usually work out 5 days a week switching up my workouts. I do a mix of elliptical and sometimes running, Pilates, yoga, and Brazil Butt Lift. I kind of feel like I'm at a plateau right now too, so I'd like to hear what everyone else says as well.
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I try to get in some form of exercise every day, but usually one day a week I keep it light like only a 30 minute walk or play the wii fit or something easy, just enough to keep my body moving and still feel like a rest day for my muscles. As long as you stick to your calorie/nutrition goals and keep your body moving as much as possible you should still see results whether you workout 3 days a week or 7. I have a few different routines that I cycle through for 4-6 weeks at a time, you should always change up your routine when your body starts getting used to it. Good Luck!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    I agree, do what works best for you. I have fibromyalgia , so some weeks I am able to work out everyday and other weeks it is only 2xs a week. The most important thing is to not give up, hang in there and keep going ...........
  • JennysMan
    Options
    This site is about several things: 1) Getting started....most people won't succeed because they're simply not willing to start. 2) Getting people to become healthier by following general guidelines that work for most people. There are a lot of things that make sense just because they work, especially when you are beginning this journey, and your body simply needs a wake-up call. 3) Finally, once you get the hang of it, start tweaking things to work for you. Plateaus are common as is sometimes gaining weight when you're "doing all the right things." In the end, it's my opinion that MFP isn't a one size fit's all solution, but it teaches us how to be healthier by listening to our bodies. In the end, you will know what works for you.

To answer your question in the context of what works for me, I typically work out 5 days a week, incorporating 45-60 mins of cardio each day, plus additional strength training to help my body build muscle and increase metabolism. I try to mix up my routines so that I don't get bored and my body doesn't get used to a specific type of exercise.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I workout every single day, sometimes twice a day. I eat my exercise calories. I run, I lift weights, HIIT, Insanity, P90X. No Plateau.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. So far I have been doing every day this week. I've really only just started exercising this past week, before it was whatever exercise I got at work 3 times a week. Then I started changing my eating habits, and now I've been jogging, doing lots of cardio. Even just changing the way I've eaten, without any exercise, I lost 7 lbs. in 3 weeks. I think every day is working for me though. I'm getting better at pushing myself. I looked at the calories I had burned on the Wii Fit (269) and we had a little battle. I wanted to stop, but I knew I could go just a little longer and burn a few more, so I did. I'm not doing strength training just yet, I want to lose some fat before I try to tone my muscles ;)
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on each person. You might want to consider whether the problem is your amount of days of exercise or really the type of exercise, and the duration, whether you are eating enough to fuel your body for the exercise, whether your calorie count is right for you, whehter you are drinking enough water, what you are eating (protein, sugars, too much salt)?. I usually try to get some kind of exercise at least 5 days a week, even if its just walking.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I personally work out with goals in mind. Without them I feel like I'm going no where. I have two plans I'm on that I found I could fit in a 6 day week. I am working on Couch to 5k and am currently on Week 4. This gets me to do cardio on the dreadmill of all things. I'm also doing Stronglifts 5X5 which is introducing me to the basic compound lifts in weight lifting. Otherwise I would never get around to it. I need structure and some kind of end goal with like a 3-4 month accomplishment time otherwise I can go astray or whatever you call it.

I would make working out something that is enjoyable and doable.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. So far I have been doing every day this week. I've really only just started exercising this past week, before it was whatever exercise I got at work 3 times a week. Then I started changing my eating habits, and now I've been jogging, doing lots of cardio. Even just changing the way I've eaten, without any exercise, I lost 7 lbs. in 3 weeks. I think every day is working for me though. I'm getting better at pushing myself. I looked at the calories I had burned on the Wii Fit (269) and we had a little battle. I wanted to stop, but I knew I could go just a little longer and burn a few more, so I did. I'm not doing strength training just yet, I want to lose some fat before I try to tone my muscles ;)

Don't wait on the strength training. I'm serious. It'll help you lose faster.
    Great job BTW.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!