Is this routine HIIT training?

Options
I've written myself a little routine doing jumping jack's, squats, jump rope, crunches, lunges, russian twists, push ups, mountain climbers, leg crossed, jump lunges and sprints. I do 45 seconds of each exercise, rest for 15 seconds and complete the circuit twice. It lasts about 20 or so minutes, is this considered HIIT training? Thanks

Replies

• Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a cardio workout.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    No.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You can call it interval training or circuit training if you want to name it?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't think so, but the name doesn't matter. Do you enjoy it? Will you be able to keep it up? Do you have a good progression plan for it? Those are the things that matter.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    No.
    Circuit training or callisthenics.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I've written myself a little routine doing jumping jack's, squats, jump rope, crunches, lunges, russian twists, push ups, mountain climbers, leg crossed, jump lunges and sprints. I do 45 seconds of each exercise, rest for 15 seconds and complete the circuit twice. It lasts about 20 or so minutes, is this considered HIIT training? Thanks

I would describe that as circuit training. That is not to say it's not similar to a number of programs who's advocates would describe as HIIT for marketing purposes.

The main question is, does it do what you want it to do. Don't worry too much about labels, focus on outcomes.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    As above, it's calisthenics, not HIIT. Overall, it's not a bad circuit.

I'd suggest adding a 1 minute full rest at the end, and adjusting the exercises so that you've got a dynamic exercise followed by a rest exercise and do a full minute of each. I'd also suggest dumping the mountain climbers and jump lunges as they're very form intensive and thus higher injury risk.
  • jenmarqueiro245
    jenmarqueiro245 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all :D have taken it all in board and making some adjustments. I do love the training and I do weights as well on differing days. I used to do these kind of circuits when I went boxing, unfortunately the club closed, and my fitness levels are so down it gives me a focus to get in more reps and finish sets and is something I enjoy doing so I'll stick with it :D
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I do some routines that are somewhat similar. In my HRM app I either choose 'crossfit' or circuit training for the type of workout depending on what I'm doing that day.

Technically I consider them "muscle endurance" days, but that's not an option on my app LOL.
  • maineapple
    maineapple Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My experience with HIIT training is to raise the heart rate for about 30 seconds, and then slow down for about 1 minute, then repeat. The goal being to bring the heart rate down considerably during the slower period.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    maineapple wrote: »
    My experience with HIIT training is to raise the heart rate for about 30 seconds, and then slow down for about 1 minute, then repeat. The goal being to bring the heart rate down considerably during the slower period.

fwiw in HIIT the goal is to raise HR into the 95-98% maximum during the work period. That drives the outcomes from HIIT which are largely around improving blood oxygen saturation. That's a very perishable physiological improvement largely restricted to training in advance of a particular goal race.