Burning feet while "ellipticizing"

Options
Does anyone else have this issue on the elliptical? It's like the balls of me feel almost "fall asleep" when I'm ellipticizing. I try wiggling my toes around and lifting my feet up to no avail. I also have tried shifting my weight to my heels.... no relief there either. The dull pain and discomfort is totally distracting me from working hard and having an effective workout.
I really can't run and walking isn't my fav either.
frustrated.
advice???

Replies

• Babrao
    Babrao Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yes, this happens to me also. I try to keep it in mind and try to move my toes alot and sometimes re-adjust my foot positioning. It helps, but it still happens. How long do you usually go on for? I usually do 30-45 mins.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a better pair of shoes...
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Your feet swell during the exercise. Loosen your shoes.
  • weeziews
    weeziews Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    YES!! It is like my feet are falling asleep! I also try to move my toes and feet in different ways and it doesn't work. I am usually on it for 30 minutes and it will start 15 or 20 minutes in. Sorry, I don't know how to make it stop, but curious if anyone else does.
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    It happens to me too, especially the insides of my feet. I have to remind myself to move them out a little, because I usually have them where the border of the foot thingy rubs against the inside of my foot. You might want to try a different pair of shoes too. I have one pair of shoes that kill my feet on the elliptical, but I have another that just causes minimal discomfort.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    BUMP- anxious to see if any good advice comes out of this. I have the same problem on a Gazelle machine.

I thought it was my shoes too- but it happens even with brand new, well made running shoes- made to take the impact of pavement.
  • flutatious1
    flutatious1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I usually go between 30-45 min as well. I've heard that loosening your shoes helps, but that hasn't really done a whole lot either.
  • bam0904
    bam0904 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    try going in reverse for awhile. I have teh same problem and when I feel my feet getting tingly I switch teh machine to reverse and pedal backwards. It works diffrent muscles, I beleive.
  • pizzygirltx
    Options
    Don't tie your shoes so tight. I had the same problem until I loosened my laces.
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem too. Tried every type of shoes I own, my sneakers are brand new. Someone else told me I needed new shoes, but like I said - mine are new.
    Sucks, I know. :( I hope someone has a solution.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I picked up runners socks they are polyester and have two layers. I also picked up really expensive shoes so i feel like i am running on clouds...
  • emlamar77
    emlamar77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes! It happens to me. However, I have figured out how to make it stop. If you warm up really well before you start (like yoga) and stretch your feet and heels really well, it minimizes the effect. You may feel it for the first 5 minutes, but the longer you stay on, the less you feel it. Also, when I bought new shoes and lost about 10 lbs, it went away totally. Don't give up! Try water aerobics if this does not work for you!
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Yessss. gawd. And I almost always tie my shoes too tight. I'm getting better though!
  • deesjourney2fit
    Options
    Try buying a wide pair of shoes. I had the same problem and went to a running store for advice. I was told that when my feet swell during exercise, my shoes are too tight causing the numb feeling. Once I switched to wide shoes, the problems stopped. I also tend to work out barefoot or use vibram five fingers shoes. Hope this helps!
  • annebuta
    annebuta Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have this happen, too! I try to lift my feet a little with each stride - so my heel comes up. That helps a little. Now I just do it for 20 or 25 minutes and have to switch to something else for the rest of my workout. I have tried different shoes...with no success.

I think it is just not a natural movement for your feet to be planted but your legs working like that...I look forward to someone having good advice though, because I love the elliptical and it burns more calories than other machines I do at the gym!
  • sarahlong09
    Options
    I have this problem. I cant make it stop. my shoes are always loose, my socks arent tight, and i have purchased new expensive shoes for this problem. Still happens!!! The only thing that helps is to try and move my feet often while im doing the eliptical. Also if i do it in 10-15 minute intervals.

u just gotta find what works for you.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    try going in reverse for awhile. I have teh same problem and when I feel my feet getting tingly I switch teh machine to reverse and pedal backwards. It works diffrent muscles, I beleive.

This is what I do too....
  • flutatious1
    flutatious1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I do have wide feet so that might be part of the problem, but my shoes aren't tight....even after working out. I wonder if perhaps there is some sort of insert that might help? I don't know... I guess I hoping for some concrete "yes, this works" advice because I too, love the elliptical and the burn that I get from it. :cry:
  • annie009
    Options
    My feet were numb the first number of times, this was especially because I was often on my toes. Now I keep my feet more flat and the numbness is barely noticable.
  • amyjthomas
    Options
    How old are your shoes? The trainer told me that you are suppose to get a new pair on sneakers every 6 months.