lost old POST regarding calories burned in weight training :

Options
Ok, so I have searched the forums and my "bumps" and to no avail I cannot find this terrific post someone had replied to with a formula for calories burned during weight training. I thought Livestrong was mentioned as the base of the information. It had something to do with how much you weigh, multiplying it by the minutes and then by .029, .039 and so on depending on how heavy, or vigorous the training was/is...it was something like that and it's driving me NUTS! Can anybody help me with this?

Replies

• AveryWays
    AveryWays Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    That would be awesome! I do strength training and I know I'm burning calories when I do this but just don't know how much :grumble:
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that I cannot help with that question. I gave up trying to calculate it myself and just bought a HRM.
  • Monika135
    Options
    THANKS....AND I FOUND IT!!!!

See below, I copy and pasted it from other post.

A great formula (via livestrong) on how to figure out calories burned via strength training.

Step 1
    Weigh yourself before each weight lifting session. The number of calories you burn partially depends on your weight.

Step 2
    Time the number of minutes you lifted weights. This includes the time spent resting between repetitions.

Step 3
    Determine the intensity value of your weight training. A bodybuilding level of effort is vigorous and burns 0.055 calories per pound per minute. Circuit training with weights burns 0.042 calories per pound per minute. Strength training with free weights burns 0.039 calories per pound per minute. Lighter weight lifting with moderate effort burns 0.028 calories per pound per minute.

Step 4
    Calculate the number of calories burned. First, multiply your weight by the number of minutes you exercised. For example, if you weigh 140 lbs. and lifted weights for 35 minutes, the formula would be 140 x 35 = 4900. Then multiply this number by the intensity value to get the number of calories burned. If you were circuit training, the formula would be 4900 x 0.042 = 206 calories burned.
  • elysetoplin
    Options
    bump for later!