Intermittent Fasting? Results ?

Options
Hey yall, I'm doing IF with a 16:8. Have any of yall seen significant results?

I did it for about a week where I skipped dinner, but I've switched to skipping breakfast now. I then went on spring break and was and total glutton... I'm now about a week in. Feels great!!

Replies

• Sparkeysworld
    Sparkeysworld Posts: 107 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I.F works for some people.
    Personally I believe a balance macro diet is far better.
    Ultimately losing weight as all down to being in a calorie deficit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It's ALL about the calories. Meal timing is irrelevant. You won't see more results eating your calories in a 12 hour window or a 6 hour window.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Not eating until noon helps me to feel more full later.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    16:8 made me into a frustrated clock watcher, main result was irritation and feeling more hungry and more restricted for the same calorie allowance. YMMV.

Now I just skip breakfast when I feel like it and have a more flexible eating pattern depending on needs, wants and fitting in that day's schedule.
  • Jarlax
    Jarlax Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 IF and it works fine.
    I fast from about 8pm to 1pm, it helps control snacking.
    Using IF and Keto I’ve lost 10kg since Christmas
  • CarolT407
    CarolT407 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    IF is working great for me! I agree tho, that you have to eat well when you do eat. I make sure that the food I eat is nutrient dense and low carb. I've lost 19 lbs since the beginning of the year. :)
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hey yall, I'm doing IF with a 16:8. Have any of yall seen significant results?

I did it for about a week where I skipped dinner, but I've switched to skipping breakfast now. I then went on spring break and was and total glutton... I'm now about a week in. Feels great!!

I do it when I am cutting, it's nothing special like any other diet out there. The only reason I chose IF on my cut is because I prefer eating 2-3 big meals opposed to 5-6 small meals...but I still make sure that I am in a caloric deficit. I still lost fat at the same rate as my previous cutting phases without IF and I've been doing bulking and cutting cycles for 5 years now. It's only a tool, nothing else., there's no magical powers or fat burning mode that you go into because of it. Mind you, I would still use IF on my next cutting phase. It's just that like any diet out there, it's only a tool.
  • sternthefern
    sternthefern Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!! Yeah, I actually weighed myself and I'm down to 153 from 158 and feeling amazing. It's helped me get binge eating and other nasty habits under control. I got full off of just broccoli and chicken when I ate my lunch. I start my fast at around 1200 then eat till 7 pm usually. Keep it up, warriors, and thank you for the input.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I mostly do a 16:8 fast and have most of my life. some days its 18:6 but I havent lost any more weight or fat doing IF compared to the time I didnt do IF. I even overate fasting and became obese. if you want to lose you need a calorie deficit.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I tend to overeat in the evenings, so I do a 16/8 schedule with the first meal around 2 pm. That allows me two large meals and a treat or two. As everyone else noted, though, monitoring calorie intake helps. Following my schedule helps me hit my calorie target. Nothing magic about it.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    16:8 made me into a frustrated clock watcher, main result was irritation and feeling more hungry and more restricted for the same calorie allowance. YMMV.

Now I just skip breakfast when I feel like it and have a more flexible eating pattern depending on needs, wants and fitting in that day's schedule.

It’s supposed to work the other way or so they say, that you lose your obsession with food...
    For me? I doubt it!!!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    bfanny wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »

It’s supposed to work the other way or so they say, that you lose your obsession with food...
    For me? I doubt it!!!

it hasnt done much for appetite really for me at least. but if i eat breakfast I do tend to want to eat more than normal so maybe it helps a little. but there are days I can still overeat once I break the fast.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I hated IF, I will as constantly hungry and miserable. I managed much better with 3 large meals a day, one of those at 630am.
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get the last 3 lbs off. I'm skipping breakfast and eating a big lunch and then a couple of small snacks in the evening. I'm not really hungry in the morning and I think it's helping.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I'm trying to get the last 3 lbs off. I'm skipping breakfast and eating a big lunch and then a couple of small snacks in the evening. I'm not really hungry in the morning and I think it's helping.

the last 3 lbs will come off very slow and you have to be as accurate as you can with your calorie intake. it has nothing to do with fasting. if fasting helps you to stick to your deficit then great. otherwise its all about the calories.
  • jrowden0711
    jrowden0711 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I do it and love it. I work third shift so it really helps me control my appetite at work and at home. Keeps me on the same eating schedule whether I am at home or at work. I do 16:8, I usually eat my first meal of the day at 5 pm, and my last no later than 1 am. I have been using it for two years, I don't track at all, but do consciously make healthy choices and am pretty good about portion sizes. In the last two years i have lost 50 lbs.
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Absolutely. It's the change in eating pattern that's helping me eat less.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I do a modified version of it. If I'm not hungry in the morning I just don't eat until I am - no need to waste precious calories when I feel fine without them because I know I will need them later. This means having my first meal anywhere between 8 am and 3 pm. I naturally stop eating around 6-7 because I always have, but on odd days where I'm hungry after that I have something. If I know I will be eating out or having something exceptionally high in calories, I just don't eat up to that meal. Before dieting, hunger was not a big factor in my eating decisions and I didn't adjust for heavier meals, so yes, meal scheduling helps me, just not through some magical fat burning backdoor.

Meal scheduling is helpful, be it a pre-defined schedule that fits you or one you customize for yourself. Just find the one that makes keeping to calories easier and you're good to go.