What's Your Chosen Eating Lifestyle?

Options

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm strictly kosher and ovo-lacto vegetarian (was before I started weight-loss, still am, plan to continue). I eat what I want within my calories, try to hit protein and iron and let the rest fall where it falls. Which is usually moderate-to-slightly-high carb, lower-fat.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm strictly kosher and ovo-lacto vegetarian (was before I started weight-loss, still am, plan to continue). I eat what I want within my calories, try to hit protein and iron and let the rest fall where it falls. Which is usually moderate-to-slightly-high carb, lower-fat.
    Can I ask, because I'm curious, isn't an ovo-lacto vegetarian automatically eating according to kosher? As long as you're not eating meat or any meat products, you're not breaking any Jewish food rules? (Oh, leavened bread. Anything else?)
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I eat the see food diet in moderation. We see food, we usually eat that food. We just eat in portions to fit our goals.

Excellent. A bit of self control is half the job done.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Can I ask, because I'm curious, isn't an ovo-lacto vegetarian automatically eating according to kosher? As long as you're not eating meat or any meat products, you're not breaking any Jewish food rules? (Oh, leavened bread. Anything else?)

That's the basics, but there are some other restrictions. Fruits and vegetables have to be carefully checked for bugs. Wine and grape products (not fresh grapes) must be kosher-certified. Which is a problem when you figure that many products contain vinegar, white grape juice is often added to canned fruit, etc. Certain additives and preservatives may come from (non-kosher) slaughterhouse by-products. One red food coloring comes from insects. No idea if it's still on the market.

In practice, if it's not bottled water, fresh fruits or vegetables, or certain raw bulk products (flour, sugar, baking powder, whole spices, for example) I won't buy it without a kosher certification.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Dash diet, although I don’t look at it as a “diet”. It works to keep my blood pressure in a healthy range and is basically meats, veggies, fruits, whole grains, nuts and low/nonfat dairy. Of course I stay within my calorie allotment.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    None of the names mentioned. I follow my own thing. I don't even do portion control - in the sense that I don't follow any standard portions. My portions depend on what else I'm eating that day. My diet is mostly plants because I really like plants which makes it inevitably moderate to high in carbs. I eat whatever I feel like eating, but it would be misleading to define my diet as eating whatever I want because some of my wants need to planned in advance and I engage in some serious self talk to get myself to choose protein over other options sometimes.

I guess it can be summarized like this: I eat whatever I want a lot of the time, eat what I like almost all of the time, and pay special attention to protein to try and hit the minimum most of the time because I tend to severely undereat it if I don't.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

That's the basics, but there are some other restrictions. Fruits and vegetables have to be carefully checked for bugs. Wine and grape products (not fresh grapes) must be kosher-certified. Which is a problem when you figure that many products contain vinegar, white grape juice is often added to canned fruit, etc. Certain additives and preservatives may come from (non-kosher) slaughterhouse by-products. One red food coloring comes from insects. No idea if it's still on the market.

In practice, if it's not bottled water, fresh fruits or vegetables, or certain raw bulk products (flour, sugar, baking powder, whole spices, for example) I won't buy it without a kosher certification.
    Thanks for the insight! It sounds a little difficult, I don't think I would make a good Jew :D
  • Choward33
    Choward33 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    High protein. Low carb. 12- 1300 calories daily . In also eat high fiber oatmeal.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Wing it.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    My eating lifestyle is simple.
    Buy as little prepared foods as possible (only buy certain treats and yogurt).
    Buy organic, grass fed meat and dairy.
    Buy quality fruit and veggies.
    Prep all the meals myself from scratch and make sure every meal is loaded with veggies for bulk.
    Eat what I want, when I want.
    Know that the amount of calories I eat will make me gain, lose or maintain my weight.

Pretty much this - just not a lot of dairy.... and absolutely zero gluten due to sensitivity.

• breathefire
    breathefire Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I eat vegetarian, trying to make my way to vegan or plant based. It forces me to eat my veggies lol
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    basically i feel better when i do "lower carb". i dont exercise and feel much better with higher fat and protein
  • TrevorJSanders
    TrevorJSanders Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Mostly plants. A bit of fish sometimes.
  • WithyWillow1
    WithyWillow1 Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Vegan/high carb (even before trying to lose weight) and now slowly leaning towards a more whole foods approach. Trying to kick diet soda, salt, sugar, and oil. I drink mostly water, unsweetened cashew milk with dinner, and some times coffee (or the aforementioned diet soda) in the morning.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Paleo (esque)

lotsa veggies
    not a lot of starches
    not a lot of refined sugar (next to zero)
    lean meats ( grass fed beef , grilled chicken )
    beverages are limited to black coffee, water & unsweetened tea ( no sodas, alcohol, diet drinks, milk )
    lots of healthy fat ( avocado and raw almonds every day )

if my great grandmother couldn't recognize it as food, I try not to eat it.
  • quebot
    quebot Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    What I eat is regulated by my health. I try to eat a lot of protein because it fills me up and I can't eat a lot of food. I hate food it makes me sick (thanks to auto immune disease). I wish I could figure it out. My "diet style" would be force feeding. I struggle eating enough every day. I dread meal time. It's simply a necessity I have to do to survive.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The politically correct Canadian Rainbow.

• Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Even though CICO is all that truly matters for weight loss/main/gain, I feel my best when I eat a plant-based way. I still eat meat but if a product that is vegetarian exists for something and tastes just as good to me (even if in a different way) I'll buy and eat that. I don't obsess over it much though.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    A lot
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I’ve been doing intermittent fasting for close to 2 months now. Haven’t really changed what I eat, just when. It has helped me be a little more disciplined to curb snacking after dinner.