Walking in Near Freezing Temperatures

Hey folks, I walked a couple miles today in windy Pennsylvania. It's the first time I really noticed the cold wind killing my stamina. I typically average 17 minutes per mile while walking, but with the wind chill somewhere in the 30s today, I was floating around 19/mile.

Cold weather is almost gone, but what do you guys do to keep the cold temperatures from sapping energy?

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Work from home, walk inside a mall or go to the gym.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Dress in layers, you stay surprisingly warm. I actually find it invigorating to walk when it is cold. For me, it is much worse walking in rainy, damp weather.
    Keep your feet and head warm with hat and boots.
    Long, cold winter here (MN) this winter. Hopefully the snow will be gone soon, but the long range forecast is for a cold Easter weekend, so the snow will still be here for Easter with highs in the 30's and low 40's for this week. Just the way it is some years. I do have a male bluebird coming to my suet feeder for the past few days, so there is hope for Spring!
  • pkweier
    pkweier Posts: 349 Member
    I'm with you OP here in good old PA. I bundle up real warm and head out even when it's below zero. I have a corgi that needs walked so that keeps me going.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    About the only conditions I don’t walk in is when lightning is in the area. Otherwise, I just dress in layers as others have said. I also wear a mask too if it’s too cold to prevent frostbite although I can’t wear my glasses as they fog up.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    We hike in Idaho year round. As others have noted, layer up. The base layer should be of material that will wick moisture away from your skin. I usually overdress and get sweaty/overheated. Then I'm peeling off some clothing at some point. I'm trying to learn to pay attention to body temperature and remove hats and gloves if needed. I also like one-piece pullovers with a zipper at the top. Open the neck area for ventilation.

The cold doesn't seem to slow me down, but I'm not all that fast anyway. 17-18 minutes a mile on level ground and a lot slower on the steep sections.

Good on all of you for getting outside in the winter. Heading out now myself - the sun is out and the morning snow is melting. Should be gorgeous.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    We have a large dog, so we walk twice a day, regardless of weather. If you have the right clothes, there is no such thing as too cold. Trial and error teaches what you need to be comfortable in any conditions. We're never very fast and snow slows us down even more because our dog loves to roll in it and eat it, but that's fine.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    I live in Chicago. The wind chill is a beast. I layer up in a base (tight underarmor), jeans, long sleeve, fur- lined hoodie, down- filled coat, long socks, lined gloves, a thick scarf, and a hat that covers my ears, and appropriate shoes. Also, walking into the wind will be far more draining than if it is behind you.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I live in Chicago. The wind chill is a beast. I layer up in a base (tight underarmor), jeans, long sleeve, fur- lined hoodie, down- filled coat, long socks, lined gloves, a thick scarf, and a hat that covers my ears, and appropriate shoes. Also, walking into the wind will be far more draining than if it is behind you.

After many years of experience, I plan all my routes according to the wind. Include frequent changes of direction when going in to the wind, plan to have it at my back on the way back home.

• rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I live in an cold environment and I walk outdoors year round. I can't go as long as I would like, but I need to take my puppy out on several walks and when I go solo it's great having the track or trail practically to myself. Layering up and wearing the right shoes really helps.

The majority of my cardio in the winter in done with using walk at home workouts where I get 2 - 5 miles in most days indoors.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I live farther north than all of you. I learned to run in the dead of winter. Dress in layers and unzip as you warm up. My ears are always covered.

I have the opposite problem. I wilt in summertime heat. How do you all keep from overheating?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Tech fabrics. Ski jackets are great.

Don't wear cotton. The wind goes straight through it!
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Hey folks, I walked a couple miles today in windy Pennsylvania. It's the first time I really noticed the cold wind killing my stamina. I typically average 17 minutes per mile while walking, but with the wind chill somewhere in the 30s today, I was floating around 19/mile.

Cold weather is almost gone, but what do you guys do to keep the cold temperatures from sapping energy?

The wind slowed you down.

Common sense.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Good base layer underneath, good wind break layer on top, Good air trapping layers between.

Cover you neck, cover your hands.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    I live in SE Pa.

Layers are key. Something to cover your neck, hat, and gloves.

I even walk and run in the snow because I think it's fun.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    I will run in temperatures down to about -25C (including windchill). Proper gear is essential. Typically moisture-wicking base layer and then fleece and a wind proof top layer. Adjust heaviness of layers to match conditions. If I've either over or underdressed for conditions I note what I wore and the conditions in my training log.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    I was just thinking on my Saturday long run how tired I am of all of this cold and wind.

I'm usually fine to run in most temperatures but something about the fact that the moderate wind was directly in my face for most of my 10 mile run (don't ask me how that worked because I don't know), and that I haven't had a run in the past three weeks where temperatures went above 30F and I've simply had enough.

We better get the spring warm up soon because if I have to do any more runs with temps below 40 and significant wind chill and I just might end up taking a break.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I do a lot more indoor training in the winter...and I don't even live anywhere that particularly cold. I am admittedly a fare weather cyclist.

Actually, a lot of it also has to do with the fact that during the winter it's dark during the times I would typically be able to ride...I do put on my winter gear on weekends and try to get in a good ride so long as it's not too windy.
  • Emmygm
    Emmygm Posts: 80 Member
    I'm from Canada. It was about -7Celsius when I walked to work this morning (which according to google is 19. 4 Fahrenheit). I find a thermos of tea helps keep me moving. it also keeps my hands warm!