Popcorn

Options
Coco_Puff
Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
Okay, I'm out of my microwave popcorn and have to replace it cause I LOVE POPCORN!!!! I want to start making my own and get away from the prepackaged stuff. I just like it with salt and a little butter flavor. Anyone got a good healthy recipe?

Replies

• tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    bump id like to know
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    i use the website dLife.com. It is a website for diabetics but the low carb, low sugar receipes are great for everyone. Some interesting popcorn receipes on this site.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I eat Light Popcorn every night. I have for years. I alway's used microwave but decided to buy a air popper and I hate it. I cook it on the stove with oil and a little salt or chili powder or Grated cheese, it's better then air popped but then you have to clean the pot. I went back to microwave. It's easy, fast and clean.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    i use the website dLife.com. It is a website for diabetics but the low carb, low sugar receipes are great for everyone. Some interesting popcorn receipes on this site.

I love that site!!! Especally the fact that you can choose low carb, cal, fat......
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    An airpopper would do the trick....you put some kernals in the bottom, some butter (or whatever you want) in the top and its like delicious magic.
  • Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You really should air pop it, buy you don't actually need to have an air popper. Just put the kernels in a paper lunch bag, fold the top a few times, and microwave that. Super easy.

I eat mine sprinkled with vinnegar and salt. (Like salt and vinnegar chips, but a fraction of the calories!) Or sometimes plain with salt. Before MFP I ate mine with melted butter too, but I learned to like it better without. Which I highly recommend. It's way better for you, especially if you're using the simulated butter flavour popcorn. At least real butter would have less chemicals and sodium. I hope, haha.
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I really like popcorn for a snack, too, but recently I read that the microwave stuff contains carcinogenic chemicals, so I bought a microwave air-popper container. It works pretty well, and then I use light spray butter (in moderation!) and some popcorn flavorings that I found at the store-- I think they have white cheddar, ranch, nacho cheese, etc. I've also heard that you can use those ranch dip mix packets, but haven't tried it.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    I use a microwave popper (like a big bowl with a lid, you place a paper "cup" on the bottom that helps all the kernels pop evenly). I think it's by Orville himself :-D It makes like 9-10 cups popped (from 1/3 c. kernels). I put 1 T EVOO over the kernels, a sprinkle of salt, and I can eat the whole bowl in 5.7 minutes one handed.

Don't go back to the pre packaged stuff!
  • byukid
    byukid Posts: 55
    Options
    I like air poppers best. I eat mine all sorts of ways, but my favorite is maple and chili flakes. Pop your pocorn, and then in a glass or metal 9x13 pan, combine and toss with maple syrup and red chili flakes.

mmmmm.....
  • mindfulmunching
    mindfulmunching Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I like air poppers best. I eat mine all sorts of ways, but my favorite is maple and chili flakes. Pop your pocorn, and then in a glass or metal 9x13 pan, combine and toss with maple syrup and red chili flakes.

mmmmm.....

Ummm...you just changed my life with this suggestion!! YUMMMMM
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I love popcorn. I only like it with butter and salt too.....but since I started watching everything, I made some substitutions to get that buttery salty flavor I love.
    I air pop my kernels like usual and then instead of using actual butter, I use "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray.
    Then, I light sprinkle with a salt substitute like Nu-Salt....I've also played around with different varieties of Mrs. Dash.
  • BigCountry00
    Options
    FWIW, I sprinkle my popcorn with some garlic powder. Pretty good stuff.....
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I pop mine in olive oil. The olive oil kinda has it's own rich taste that I find to be an acceptable substitute for the butter. You can also try spraying it with non-fat, butter flavored cooking spray.
  • foremaar012
    Options
    I stove pop mine with peanut oil ( I know terrible) but I just do a few tablespoons of kernels ( yields about 3cups) and spit it with my boyfriend ( or myself if it's been a hard day) and spray some Can't Believe It's Not Butter and a little bit of kosher salt sooo yummy :) i think air poppers are healthier but there's nothing better than stovetop.
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options
    When I read / heard from two doctors in the same week that they won't eat microwaved popcorn because all the chemicals from the heating pad (thing) steam into the popped kernels, I ran to get an air popper!!!! I've drizzled warm caramel (yum), sprinkled with parm cheese and I love it with ranch sprinkled on it. I just tweek it to suit my cravings for the moment.
  • elizabethaustin
    Options
    Popcorn is so good for you and everyone is ruining with all their toppings and methods of cooking! If you want to feel good about eating it, PLEASE PLEASE BUY an air popper! Plain popcorn cooked in an air popper is only 20 calories a cup. You can eat 5 whole cups for the same amount of calories as your little tiny 100 calorie popcorn bags! And, you'll save so much money! Experiment with toppings, or make unique sauces that you can easily dip the kernels in (this prolongs the eating process and you get to enjoy your snack for longer as well without really noticing!) Shredded Mexican cheese (or any kind of cheese) and crushed red pepper is really good. Try peanut butter, or chili sauce, vinegar, garlic salt, minced garlic, make bean dip or guacamole! If you don't mind the calories, throw in some low-sugar chocolate pieces or Reese's pieces. Sugar free caramel! Parmesan! Honey, cinnamon, fresh/dried fruit and nuts. Go check out the spice section at your grocery store and experiment. Chili powder and cayenne pepper or paprika, or anything you can think of. Try 0 calorie salad dressing. Buy some fancy cool salt. Throw fresh tomatoes or salsa on top with some melted cheese and make it pizza popcorn! There's so many options and you are seriously limiting yourself (not to mention ingesting awful chemicals) by not air popping your popcorn.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    You really should air pop it, buy you don't actually need to have an air popper. Just put the kernels in a paper lunch bag, fold the top a few times, and microwave that. Super easy.

I eat mine sprinkled with vinnegar and salt. (Like salt and vinnegar chips, but a fraction of the calories!) Or sometimes plain with salt. Before MFP I ate mine with melted butter too, but I learned to like it better without. Which I highly recommend. It's way better for you, especially if you're using the simulated butter flavour popcorn. At least real butter would have less chemicals and sodium. I hope, haha.
    Hey how many minutes do you put the popcorn in the brown bag in microwave for? Just the popcorn? Any oil?