This info looks really legit to me, what do you think?

Options
I've been looking for a SOLID BMR calculation (involving body fat %, lean body mass, etc).

I found this site:

http://www.hussman.org/fitness/bmrcalc.htm

After I filled in my info, it gave me a really good explanation about the equation used (Harris-Benedict formula) and also how to create my deficit after calculating TDEE (sedentary, active, etc.).

I want opinions from the information buffs!!!! Haha. Does this look correct to you?

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Well, since I don't know my body fat percentage, I can't exactly use this site to calculate my BMR.
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It says an achievable fat loss goal for me is 1.4lbs per week...Really?? I weigh 135. My BMR was 1307---I'm not very active, It says I burn 1700 cals per day....To lose 1.4lbs per week, I'd have to have a weekly deficit of 4900 cals...which is 700 per day...That would get me netting 1000 cals per day....Doesn't that go against everything I've ever learned???

GRRR...So much information out there...

He also adamantly says "DO NOT INCREASE CALS TO LOSE WEIGHT"........LOL
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    How efficiently your metabolism works can be influenced by a LOT of factors: your genetics, age, race, gender, height, altitude where you live, childhood illnesses, stage of your reproductive cycle, how much sleep you're getting... none of these calculations can compensate for all of those variables. So any of these calculations has to be taken as a rough estimate, at best.
  • letsdothis2010
    letsdothis2010 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Well, since I don't know my body fat percentage, I can't exactly use this site to calculate my BMR.

I know :( I wish there was an accessible way for anyone to find that out (I only found out today because I saw a nutritionist at my school)
  • sonybalony
    sonybalony Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    The problem is that most people are not capable of getting an accurate body fat %... electronic devices vary, formulas vary and not everyone can get calipered. (mine runs between 35% and 49% depending on method, and there is not somewhere local ND cheap where I can get the calipers done)

If the body fat % was right, it sounds good.
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    well that just seemed awsome to me :)
  • letsdothis2010
    Options
    It says an achievable fat loss goal for me is 1.4lbs per week...Really?? I weigh 135. My BMR was 1307---I'm not very active, It says I burn 1700 cals per day....To lose 1.4lbs per week, I'd have to have a weekly deficit of 4900 cals...which is 700 per day...That would get me netting 1000 cals per day....Doesn't that go against everything I've ever learned???

GRRR...So much information out there...

He also adamantly says "DO NOT INCREASE CALS TO LOSE WEIGHT"........LOL

I know! That's me too with the deficit. Pretty much any calculation I've ever seen for me to lose 1.5-2.0 pounds a week would put me well below 1000...thankfully I would never do that! I saw what you mean, it was odd.
  • letsdothis2010
    Options
    I'm looking back again and some of the written stuff in the results is weird (about the vigorous workouts & amount you can lose). I just think the numbers looked like solid calculations.
  • JudyQ
    JudyQ Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did mine and it looks spot on. I have used every type and kind of these and have the scale that gives the percentages. I would say it is right...but...sure does not leave me with many calories to use...explains my stall though! JudyQ