Weight loss question

Options
Eagles8080
Eagles8080 Posts: 197 Member
Has anyone lost weight strictly with diet alone?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Everybody loses weight through a calorie deficit, but it's up to you where you'll take the deficit from - eating less, and/or moving more. For most people, focusing mainly on eating less, is most effective.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ditto to everyone has in some form or another, but many have with no exercise.

But what you end up with after losing fat, if it's even only fat you lose - is determined more by some sort of workouts.

Diet only usually ends up with a smaller version of current self.
    If you have flabby arms and rolls of fat above belt line, you still will - just smaller.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    btente wrote: »
    Watch "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead." They drop some massive weight while pretty much only walking. They do pickup the exercise a bit after 30 days.

Walking and drinking only juiced fruits and veggies for 60 days. Anyone would drop massive weight consuming only juices for 60 days.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Watch "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead." They drop some massive weight while pretty much only walking. They do pickup the exercise a bit after 30 days.

I mostly do walking and do weights 3 times a week because I have an ankle injury do you think that is okay? You made me wonder if I am doing enough right now. I was doing the elliptical but I can't right now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    bashore98 wrote: »
    Has anyone lost weight strictly with diet alone?

Yes you can...it's just more difficult because your calorie requirements are that much lower.

I lost a good 20 Lbs before I did anything other than walking my dog...I personally got tired of only eating 1800 calories to lose weight. Eating 2300 calories or more and still losing the same amount of weight was a much better deal....plus, I got my fitness back. Once upon a time I was a competitive athlete and it felt really good to get my fitness back again.
  • Freyhb
    Freyhb Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20.4 pounds in the past 68 days without any added exercise. The only time I get to move around is when walking to and back to my bus stop which is like a 12 minute walk each way. I am in an academically rigorous program and have a major national exam coming up which leaves me with little time for my own self. I eat my alotted calories for the day and it's been working so far. Now, would I start exercising soon? Yes, once I have some more time in a few months, I will because I want to have a healthy lifestyle but right now, this is working for me.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    lois1231 wrote: »

I mostly do walking and do weights 3 times a week because I have an ankle injury do you think that is okay? You made me wonder if I am doing enough right now. I was doing the elliptical but I can't right now.

Not that poster, but what you are doing is great. Walking can absolutely be your exercise. And for weight loss, you don't HAVE to do any exercise at all, but it's easier if you can and do.