calorie free drinks

I drink tea (with stevia) or diet soda (in addition to my water, of course)... Should I still put those drinks on my daily food log? I mean, they usually have no nutritional value, good or bad...

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    That's really up to you but if you have a lot of diet sodas the sodium is still adding up, so it just depends on if that is a concern for you. Too much artificial sweeteners are not good for you either, even if there are no calories.
  • lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Some have sodium, so if you watch that, it would be good to add them.
  • scantrll
    scantrll Posts: 271 Member
    Well, I know diet soda does have a sodium content, as do a lot of teas believe it or not. so if you're tracking sodium you probably want to just so you know what's going in your body.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    I do it so i know when i look back where i may have gone wrong and yes those diet drinks can hinder you sometimes.
  • pippyrlz23
    pippyrlz23 Posts: 40 Member
    I add all of my stuff just so I know what I'm taking in. I don't drink a lot of soda, but I even track my diet soda just so I know what I've had. :-)
  • Some have sodium, so if you watch that, it would be good to add them.

I agree with this
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    diet soda is bad for you and can actually make your weight loss harder then it needs to be.

I stopped drinking it about 3 months ago and I notice a HUGE difference in how I feel how my weight loss is and everything

tea is ok if you don't add sugar or splenda to it and just drink it the way it comes (which too me is nasty w.o sugar so I don't drink it)

you could try sobe life water- it's no calories and is all natural they use erythritol to sweeten it
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    I mean, they usually have no nutritional value, good or bad...
    Yes, they do. Sodium. And artificial sweeteners. There's always SOMEthing in them. Unless it's plain water.
  • Jycooper
    Jycooper Posts: 195
    I dont usually record them but I'm going to. Received a tip today (hungrygirl.com) that artifical sweetners like splenda actually contain about 4 calories per pack. The calories are not recorded bc the FDA does not require foods that are less than 5 calories to document. So if you have several packs per day it can add up.
  • lastninja
    lastninja Posts: 2 Member
    Hi!

I generally do, especially if I had it with a meal etc. If i drink tea during the day, i make a mental note on how many cups of tea I had then add it to the snacks when I get a chance :) For a cup of tea with milk (Semi-Skimmed) the value I have is 14 calories...so 5 cups over a day can make a bit of difference, especially if you sometimes have sugar (for me it is very rare).

I sometimes drink Coke Zero and log it, although I believe its maybe 3 calories(!) but it's really just for my benefit to know I have drank something.

I also try to log the water, but I must admit I'm not very strict with it - its really only to make sure you are drinking enough. For tea though, I would try and add it if you can (or at least a rough guess).

Hope this helps.

KR,

LastNinja.
  • anton73
    anton73 Posts: 6
    I track everything, but I would try to stick to water if all possible.
  • Thanks All! I'm trying to fight my addiction to Diet Coke - it's like CRACK! LOL
    So, I'll make it my goal to stick to water and herbal tea - I only have artificial sweeteners in my diet coke - other than that I use Stevia.