Recovering from a desk job

Options
2»

Replies

• paulerdmann1
    paulerdmann1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    We've taken it up a notch my friends. My brother-in-law challenged me to a 100 day weight loss competition. Even though we are 21 days into the competition, the day 1 video just dropped on YouTube.
    Check it out!
    https://youtu.be/Q2vBtdDjWYM
  • paulerdmann1
    Options
    https://youtu.be/qMLQPiMaN94
    Here's the newest one.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing all your stories. I'm confident we can reach our goals if we work together. Maybe we can start a friend group of desk jockey warriors?

Count me in! I can seem my butt widening with every passing day and donut! :D
  • paulerdmann1
    Options
    thanks for sharing all your stories. I'm confident we can reach our goals if we work together. Maybe we can start a friend group of desk jockey warriors?

Count me in! I can seem my butt widening with every passing day and donut! :D

Ha ha ha. It's pretty epic to feel the widening.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I too have a 'desk job' - very sedentary. Sigh - I find reasons to walk around though lol. Inspired by your stories all keep up the great work and to Paul - what awesome results!
  • rdupuy1142
    rdupuy1142 Posts: 21 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story Paul. You know what, for me it is all about exercise...although so much of my life I had no idea. Looking back on it, it should've beeen obvious. In high school I reached 200lbs, but dropped back to 160lbs when a friend introduced me to jogging. After college I went back to 200lbs again, but lost it in the Army, where we exercised a lot. And later in life I had gone up to 240lbs but got my interest back in community 5k runs, and dropped down to 200lbs (funny that my formerly 'top' weight, was now a low). I briefly then gained back to 220lbs, but got down to 168lbs after taking up cycling as a sport. Anyway, that's only a partial run down of my ups and downs on weight. Most weight loss was due to exercise, a few times due to depression. I guess I'm 'lucky' in that depression causes me to not eat, I know for some it triggers the opposite.

I digress, but on the subject of exercise, I believe so many of us humans are built to expend energy. If we don't, our bodies store fat. I'm 179lbs now gained some over the winter cycling break.

Without exercise I couldn't diet to lose weight. I understand some can do it, but its an amazing achievement that I cannot reach. For me, exercise must occur.
  • rdupuy1142
    rdupuy1142 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    btw folks, I work in an office too. And I agree about it being a back killer. I got sciatica last year.
    I now carefully sit up straight. I don't need sciatica again, it was miserable! (for me, lasted 2 months)
  • paulerdmann1
    Options
    rdupuy1142 wrote: »
    btw folks, I work in an office too. And I agree about it being a back killer. I got sciatica last year.
    I now carefully sit up straight. I don't need sciatica again, it was miserable! (for me, lasted 2 months)

My motto through this experience has been "move more, eat less" I'm down 76lbs and have tons of energy.

Also cycling is my favorite.
  • paulerdmann1
    Options
    https://youtu.be/JzJJoS9N0oM
    here's the newest video
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Great job on losing weight. I too went from very active to 100% desk. I found that if I get up and run in the mornings I can lose weight. I have also found that if I don't run I gain weight. I need to get back out on the streets and lose the 25 pounds I put back on.
  • paulerdmann1
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Great job on losing weight. I too went from very active to 100% desk. I found that if I get up and run in the mornings I can lose weight. I have also found that if I don't run I gain weight. I need to get back out on the streets and lose the 25 pounds I put back on.

Right on. My father-in-law always says, "move more, eat less" seems to be a pretty simple weight loss formula.