Back exercises

Options
Does anyone have any recommendations on back strengthening exercises? Or an app with good tips?
I have a gym membership, so it doesn’t need to be stuff I can do at home.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    In no particular order...

rows (bent over barbell, 3 point dumbbell, wide grip cable row, etc), pull ups (assisted if necessary), lat pull downs, dead lift,
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you trying to do? Strengthening a weak lower back/core is very different from "back day" in the gym.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

jjpptt2 wrote: »
    What exactly are you trying to do? Strengthening a weak lower back/core is very different from "back day" in the gym.

This is a good question.

Without the answer, I echo what @cwolfman13 said.
  • miramaye
    miramaye Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I guess strengthen a weak overall back. Lol

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    miramaye wrote: »

I'd just look into a good beginner weight lifting program...most beginner programs are full body 3x per week and a good program is going to have it's foundation in compound movements that are going to strengthen your whole body, including your back.

New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good place to start if you're looking for a good general fitness oriented weight training program...it's a good read as well and will explain a lot of the ins and outs of weight training and what you're doing and why and how to progress, etc.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options

Why do you think it's weak? If you're experiencing back pain, that might not be related to strength, and doing strength exercises might make it worse.
  • miramaye
    miramaye Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Why do you think it's weak? If you're experiencing back pain, that might not be related to strength, and doing strength exercises might make it worse.

I have sciatic problems. A couple budging disks. But it was encouraged by my doctor to work out.

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

I have sciatic problems. A couple budging disks. But it was encouraged by my doctor to work out.

Ah, well that most definitely tints the conversation. Did your doc give you any meaningful direction, or simply a vague/general statement to workout?
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

I have recurring lower back issues and I got my program FROM my doctor to help with my issues. Exercises that were designed to help strengthen and stretch my back. You have some serious issues with a major nerve and bulging discs so I wouldn't be hitting up strangers on a forum but qualified professionals that can give you advice tailored to your specific issues and needs. A good physical therapist would be great at this, maybe do one session for a consult and another to get a program of exercises?

Lower back issues are not to be trifled with, they suck and can get worse if you do something goofy.

Working out in general is a great idea, and working on your back/core will help greatly (your abs have a huge say in your overall back health, I was surprised to learn). Just be very careful about which exercises you do and make sure you learn the right form to do them in. One bad deadlift or squat could put you in a bad place quickly.

Good luck!
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Moe: "How long have you had a weak back"

Curly: "Oh, about a week back."
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    Maybe your doctor could give you a physical therapy referral? Good physical therapists, especially those with sports experience, can be genius at figuring out what we need to stretch or strengthen to improve physical function, and at helping identify regular forms of exercise that will help us progress without aggravating the preexisting condition.
  • Coliroo
    Coliroo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wide grip pull ups on assisted machine
    Close grip pull ups on assisted machine
    Seated cable row
    Bent over barbell row
    Hyperextension machine
    Banded good mornings
    Superman fly's
    Standing cable row with straight bar
    Lat pull down machine
    Lat pull down machine reverse grip

• Coliroo
    Coliroo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Did not read the above comments until now. I'd definitely talk to a physical therapist or doctor first.
  • Piccolina46
    Piccolina46 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a group exercise instructor and I have had a lumbar laminectomy on L4-L5 spinal disc. I recommend BodyFlow—a tai chi/yoga and Pilates mix set to great music. It helps you get strong, helps your balance and leaves you feel centered and calm. That said, if any move during the class aggravates your sciatica, either take a lower intensity option or don’t do it at all. Do NOT do dead rows with a bulging disc!!! One false move and you will injure yourself more. Go to Lesmills.com for the BodyFlow class nearest you.