Mushed up Banana's

Options
Hello!

When I was at Slimming World I was always told that if you mushed up a banana you would have to Syn it (High in calories). Is this true? If I mashed up a banana would it change the calories/nutritional benifits? thanks

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    No.
  • yaakovw92
    yaakovw92 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think this is one of the strangest things I’ve ever heard. Why would mushing it up before you eat it be different from mushing it up with your teeth?

I could never work this out either!! lol
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Banana's what?
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    yn7tptn4jf7a.jpg
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Mushing it up must make all the "flightonutrients" active. :D

But the answer is no.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    Mushing it up must make all the "flightonutrients" active. :D

But the answer is no.

I thought that was only in soda... :ohwell:
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Maybe they count the calories needed to chew against the total calorie count but that seems excessive and silly.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I suspect it’s based on the idea that it’s really easy to ingest lots of calories from fruit in smoothie form. So they want encourage whole fruit, and discourage smoothied fruit. And that got turned into a misunderstanding about mushed-up bananas. That’s just my theory. No evidence whatsoever.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Presumably, this is mostly to discourage liquid calories which tend to be less satiating. That's the only reason I can think of, anyways, to have such a strange rule.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Hmmm similar to a Peurto Rican dish, but with fried mashed up plantains...mofungo (sp).

Energy can not be created or destroyed, only transferred...(blah, blah, blah...physics)
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hmmm similar to a Peurto Rican dish, but with fried mashed up plantains...mofungo (sp).

Energy can not be created or destroyed, only transferred...(blah, blah, blah...physics)

The energy used to mash it transferred to the banana :tongue:
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    what-the-heck.jpg

• rhonasaysso
    rhonasaysso Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree with everyone else. It's slimming world nonsense.
    Same with oranges/orange juice. You would be unlikely to eat 8 oranges, but you could easily drink 8 once juiced.
    So instead of telling you it's to do with quantity (and there by rubishing their 'free food' mantra), they imply that mashed banana is the problem.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    It's nonsense tenuously related, I assume, to loss of fibre content in fruits made into smoothies.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree with everyone else. It's slimming world nonsense.
    Same with oranges/orange juice. You would be unlikely to eat 8 oranges, but you could easily drink 8 once juiced.
    So instead of telling you it's to do with quantity (and there by rubishing their 'free food' mantra), they imply that mashed banana is the problem.

This was similar to the problem I had with WW after a while. They demonize some things excessively to the point where it feels downright judgmental. When points or "syns" are not a straight ratio of calories that makes sense with other stuff, they're driving you to certain foods because of their over-arching ethos and taking a lot of the personal choice out of things. Which I guess is the point, less freedom means less "mistakes", but it's definitely something I grew out of.