How do you keep your focus?

Options
Hello everyone,

Happy Monday :smile: I'm here to try getting some ideas and inspiration from you. One of my biggest struggles when it comes to losing weight, is keeping my focus. I usually start well with eating healthy and exercising, but I soon lose my motivation/focus and end up gaining back the weight I lost or, at best, not losing any weight. In order to reach my health weight, I need to lose about 50lbs. So my question to you is: How do you keep yourself motivated and focused to achieve your long term goals? If you went through this, please feel free to share your experience.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    IDK...my doctor basically told me that I was on my way to an early grave, so that did the trick for me...especially since I had a 2 year old and an infant at home at the time. That was over 5 years ago now...

ETA: I also figured out a long time ago that an all or nothing mentality wasn't going to work and was unrealistic and it didn't matter if I got a bit off track today as long as I was on track for the most part. I didn't do a super aggressive calorie cut and I didn't have an overly restrictive diet...I eat lots of healthful foods and some not so healthful foods without avoiding things I enjoy all together.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I make a plan and I follow it. No motivation required. I have a job to do so I do it. Remove the emotion and it gets a lot easier.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You must find your why to do this and keep it on top of your priorities in life. Somedays that is easier than others but if your why is important enough that is your motivation. For me I didn't want to die early and wease going up a flight of steps anymore. Different for everyone but the secret is find your why then finding the how is here.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I make a plan and I follow it. No motivation required. I have a job to do so I do it. Remove the emotion and it gets a lot easier.

More and more, as time goes on, I find this is what I'm doing.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    At some point, after I started to lose weight this time around (2013), I stopped focusing on eating healthy and exercising. I lost 50 pounds too, and have kept the weight off for three years, the longest ever, for me. Before, I would always regain, because I couldn't keep it up. Now I just live a normal everyday life, happy, pretty effortlessly - of course I pay attention to what I eat, choose nutritious food, plan and prepare balanced and varied meals - but the black/white, all-or-nothing thinking is gone. I weigh myself daily. I move more, daily.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I dunno about maintaining motivation, because motivation in itself isn’t something I really believe it, but what keeps me turning back is knowing how tragic it would be if I undo all the hard work I’ve put in so far. I can’t deal with the idea of making all that work worth nothing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Also to add...motivation is something that can be beneficial in getting started...but nobody is 100% motivated all of the time...it's not realistic. It's an emotion. It ultimately comes down to discipline and forming healthy habits.

We all do things on the daily for which we aren't necessarily motivated. I'm rarely motivated to clean the bathrooms or weed the yard...but I do those things because otherwise my house would be a *kitten* show. Your body is your house...take care of your house so it doesn't go to *kitten*.
  • gloriadw41
    gloriadw41 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bikecheryl- you are so inspiring to me! I love your excel spreadsheet! There’s something about seeing it on paper that can keep a person on track. I kept track similarly for a year and lost 50 lbs. When I stopped keeping track I started gaining it back. I’m going back to tracking and I’m going to try your spreadsheet method! I love it!