Is my calorie in take too Low??

Options
Hey,
Quick question. I usually eat 1000-1200 calories per day, sometimes less, and I noticed that I'm losing weight at a very slow rate. Would eating more calories help me lose weight faster?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    Quick question. I usually eat 1000-1200 calories per day, sometimes less, and I noticed that I'm losing weight at a very slow rate. Would eating more calories help me lose weight faster?

What is your current height and weight? Are you using a food scale? How many lbs are you losing per week and how long have you been eating that amount of cals?
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    How do you determine your calories? Do you weigh all solids and measure all liquid?
  • Elizabethg2394
    Elizabethg2394 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    How do you determine your calories? Do you weigh all solids and measure all liquid?

...Actually, I just look at the nutrition facts and log what I eat in the fitness pal app.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by very slow?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,440 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

...Actually, I just look at the nutrition facts and log what I eat in the fitness pal app.

Then you’re likely eating more than you think. Buy a food scale, weigh all of your foods on it, and aim for 1200 minimum.

Yep. That^^
  • Elizabethg2394
    Options

What is your current height and weight? Are you using a food scale? How many lbs are you losing per week and how long have you been eating that amount of cals?[/quote]

5' 8", 170lbs. No, not using a food scale and I'm only losing like 2 lbs every 4 weeks, if that.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options

What is your current height and weight? Are you using a food scale? How many lbs are you losing per week and how long have you been eating that amount of cals?

5' 8", 170lbs. No, not using a food scale and I'm only losing like 2 lbs every 4 weeks, if that.
    [/quote]

lol your just being impatient then
  • Elizabethg2394
    Options

Actually, I just look at the nutriotion facts and log everything I eat into the fitness pal app.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Might be like me. I almost always under estimate my intake and over estimate my output.

Also, a "very slow rate" is a bad value. Is 60 pounds a week too slow? 1 pound? 2? Half a pound? 1 pound a week for someone 95 pounds would be super fast while 2 pounds a week for a 900 pound man would be a little slow.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    If you aren't weighing your portions to be sure you are really eating the amount you think you are, you ae probably eating more than you think.

My biggest surprise was the fact most boxed cereals are 50% more calories when you measure the serving size weight as opposed to the serving size volume.
  • kaitlynncolbourne
    kaitlynncolbourne Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling low on energy then you are eating too little .. your body wont be able to out put the same amount of energy as it would if you were properly fueling yourself. 1200 is the minimum and depending on your weight and height it might be too low. Make sure you are acurately measuring and accounting for everything you put in your body. And try to aim for the ratios of nutrients that is reccomended . If youre eating 1200 calories but they are all carbs, its probably not going to give you the results you want. Good luck !
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,440 Member
    Options
    Check out this thread, @Elizabethg2394. It shows why a food scale is such a powerful tool for weight loss.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1