Does coffee help you lose weight?

Options
From personal experience.
I noticed when I get Starbucks in the morning I stay full for a very long time, I satisfy my sweet tooth (love my sweets) and of course have to go to the bathroom more than usual. I noticed a lot of older skinny people are always drinking coffee. Does it help you lose weight or stay full?

Replies

• PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Instead of coffee, I'll occasionally take a caffeine pill in the morning (I get busy af and my coffee would go cold otherwise).

Same feeling of suppressed appetite. Not many calories.

To be fair, I drink my coffee black. No sugar/creamer/milk. So... I save a lot on calories either way.
  • Motherofship
    Motherofship Posts: 122 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I admittedly spend a fair amount of time and money at Starbucks...

(Edited because I forgot the emoji cut off)

You can make some changes to help minimize caloric impact or tailor drink to your diet. Sugar free syrup or none at all, and nonfat or nondairy milk.

I mainly drink coffee or americano and have been working on brewing at home more. but I do occasionally get a decaf latte in the early afternoon if I really am crunched for time and don’t want to have big lunch. I prefer nondairy milk but lately get nonfat as it is higher protein to carb ratio. I never add syrup or sugar. Milk is already sweet for my taste especially the nondairy.

Never bigger than a tall. If there anything you do, don’t go bigger than that! Your brain and palate will be just as satisfied by the tall and you’ll save money and calories.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    My father is an older skinny person - I guess older is subjective, Ann, but I think 78 qualifies in most people's eyes.
    He drinks very little coffee.

OP I see plenty of overweight older people too. I don't think coffee drinking is related to weight.

My own n=1 - I drink same amount of coffee for years, hasn't changed since I started losing weight.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    Coffee helps me everything.

Me too
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I think tea and coffee help me satisfy my cravings for food because I think sometimes my wanting to eat is just out of habit and wanting to occupy my hands, mouth and stomach...does that make sense? Like instead of craving cookies at night to eat in front of the TV, I found that a cup of tea and small piece of fruit satisfies that craving. The same with coffee. I just need to make sure I drink decaf if it's late in the day!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Caffeine is a mild appetite suppressant. So in a way I suppose yes, coffee can help curb feelings of hunger. But if you learn how to eat only when under the effects of a stimulant then it could be difficult to maintain your weight later unless you keep using that stimulant.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I mean, plain coffee will help you poop? That's about it
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Coffee suppresses my appetite, so in a very indirect way, yes.
  • petritabarnett02
    petritabarnett02 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, coffee makes me full in the morning.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I find coffee suppresses my appetite, it also makes my workouts more productive and makes me more active through the day. So it can indirectly help some eat less and move more.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking coffee forever...still got fat.
  • DarianJP
    DarianJP Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think tea and coffee help me satisfy my cravings for food because I think sometimes my wanting to eat is just out of habit and wanting to occupy my hands, mouth and stomach...does that make sense? Like instead of craving cookies at night to eat in front of the TV, I found that a cup of tea and small piece of fruit satisfies that craving. The same with coffee. I just need to make sure I drink decaf if it's late in the day!

I’m right there with you, I just have a desire to eat if I have free time at home so tea and coffee helps a lot!
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Coffee just helps me tolerate mornings!
  • xoxohopeann
    xoxohopeann Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well if you are getting a sweet coffee drink from Starbucks, you are probably getting a lot of calories also, which along with the caffeine is why you are staying fuller longer.

You can go on their website and see how many calories are in their drinks. That's when I stopped going there. Gazillion calories. I got a ninja coffee bar, bought sugar free flavor syrups, now I make awesome coffees with minor calories (and spend so much less money).

But to answer the original question, for me, I think the caffeine acts as a slight appetite suppresent. And by slight, I mean maybe 2 or 3 hours to get me through the morning. But I don't drink it for that purpose. I drink it because I love it.

I get a grande iced mocha with almond milk and no whip - 190 calories and totally worth it! I’ve tried a sugar free syrup and I hated the taste of it :( but glad that works for you!