StrongLifts - too much with current workouts???

Options
Perhaps a silly one, but I'm looking to start StrongLifts to add some more formalised progressive strength training to my routine... but I don't want to give up some of my other favourite classes & workouts!

I aim to do 4-6 days of training a week, which includes a mix of general strength training, Body Pump classes, yoga, and NTC workouts when I can't make it to the gym.

I want to keep doing Pump (because it's superfun), and some of my other ones. Just hoping to get some thoughts on whether this is doable, or if I'll be killing myself/limiting progress on strength gains as obviously it would cut into some of the SL "recovery" days. Also, I am currently training in a deficit at the moment, so I know this obviously affect speed of progress too... Hoping for some thoughts from the MFP community!

Replies

• beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'd do 2 stronglifts a week and use body pump as the third weights day, along with other workouts as you mentioned - see how I felt after that.
    Love BodyPump and wouldn't want to miss out on it either :D
  • _averagepowerlifter_
    Options
    I think at the start of 5x5, you’ll be able to continue those other classes. As you progress in 5x5 and the weight increases, recovery becomes more important. IF increased strength is the top priority, I think at some point you will need to cut back on the other classes.

As you’ve stated, you don’t want to give up other methods of training. With that said, it’s manageable to do all of those, but not optimal for strength gain.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    To some extent, it will depend on your priorities and your expectations for your training. If you're just looking to do some things you enjoy and burn some calories, then it's probably fine, and you can do more classes or more lifting or whatever based on how you feel that week.

But if you want to make meaningful, consistent progress with your lifting, then you'll want to make SL a priority. It might not be a problem early on with the program, but most people progress quickly early (the program is designed this way), and once the weights start getting heavier, you'll want/need sufficient recovery time.