Training for 5K

Options
SweetKumquat
SweetKumquat Posts: 10 Member
edited March 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Good morning, good afternoon, good evening.
I am currently training for a 5K which takes place in May. This is my second 5K that I've ever done. I have weird anxieties about these things so I don't do them usually... but I want to challenge those anxieties and do at least one or two per season this year. I run most days either inside the gym on a treadmill or outside of the gym on slightly warmer days - which might have been easily assumed....aha!!

My goals for this 5K (and general running things) are:
To improve my timed mile
Keep a good pace with a steady/healthy heart rate

I've been finding it difficult to improve my time. I know part of if is having patience... letting my body do what it needs to do in order to naturally progress. However, I want to know about your experiences. Where did you start? Where are you now? What helped you to improve?

I'm hoping to achieve my goals while preparing for this 5K.
I look forward to hearing from you all!

^^

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    How long have you been running? How far each week?

Typically for a newer runner or one that doesn't run long, you should start incorporating longer runs and more distance each week. Long, slow runs will improve your time dramatically.

If you are already running longer distances (6+ mile long runs, 15-25 miles a week), then consider adding speed work into your routine at least once a week.

For the heart rate, not sure that is possible in short race like a 5k. I am pretty much pegged from start to finish. When I cross the finish line I have nothing left to give and my heart is generally racing as fast is it can. This is not unhealthy (unless you have a heart issue, in which case you should consult your doctor).

Good luck.
  • SweetKumquat
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    How long have you been running? How far each week?

Typically for a newer runner or one that doesn't run long, you should start incorporating longer runs and more distance each week. Long, slow runs will improve your time dramatically.

If you are already running longer distances (6+ mile long runs, 15-25 miles a week), then consider adding speed work into your routine at least once a week.

For the heart rate, not sure that is possible in short race like a 5k. I am pretty much pegged from start to finish. When I cross the finish line I have nothing left to give and my heart is generally racing as fast is it can. This is not unhealthy (unless you have a heart issue, in which case you should consult your doctor).

Good luck.

I really appreciate your detailed answer and advice. Thank you so much!!!
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I've been finding it difficult to improve my time.

I suggest just putting in the miles at whatever pace you are comfortable running. On race day, the excitement of the race will lead to a faster time. Do try not to go out too fast at the race, but otherwise don't over-think it. Have fun!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    More miles will help your speed. Do most of your miles easy, but incorporate speed work one day a week. See http://halhigdon.com/training/50934/5K-Intermediate-Training-Program for an example of how you can structure your training.

As Dewd said, in a 5k, you won't have an even heartrate if you are really racing it. Racing a 5k is actually a good way to find out your maximum HR. I usually feeling like I'm going to throw up at the end of a good race.;-)
  • SweetKumquat
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If you're already doing 15-20 Miles per week, There's nothing wrong with taking one day a week to do pace work.

If you're not, then that should be your first goal.

Additionally, every run should be at least a little bit different.

1 day... really slow 4 miler. Another day 1/2 mile or so warmup slow followed by a quicker 2-2.5 miles with a nice slow 1/2-1 mile cooldown. Another day, find a nice paved or semifinished trail and keep it moderately slow, but let the terrain be your variation. IF you're always running on a trail. mix up how you go out and back. Where you turn around, where you speed up.... where you slow down. Run for time instead of distance. Take a longer slower warmup. 10 minutes instead of 5 or 8, etc 1.5 mile warmup/cooldown, with the middle mile being as fast as you think you can stand while still finishing your course. Load up zombies run, and run slow except for the chases. Or run hard when the first chase starts and keep running until you finish the second. Load up Pandora and run hard every other song. Or your Ipod.

Consistency in running can hurt you. In other words, if you're running the same 4 miles at the same pace 4 days a week, over time, you'll reach equilibrium and then start losing pace as your body and mind acclimate.
  • kimtober
    kimtober Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I’ve been regularly running for about a year. I really had no running experience before that and I kind of just jumped in. My first 5k was in June of last year and I ran about 11 minutes/mile. Nowadays I can do a 5k in about 8.5 minutes/mile if I push myself. I’m not sure what’s normal as far as progress goes but I’m pretty happy considering I haven’t trained terribly hard to improve speed. I only have about 30 minutes to run on weekdays so running farther isn’t always an option but gradually I’ve tried to add a little bit to my routes. I do try to get a longer run on weekends—right now it’s a 6 mile run. Mostly I’ve just tried to take everyone’s advice to run more—whether that means more days or more distance. I don’t have any big advice
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Join a running club if you can, big difference between running on your own and running with other people. There will be more experienced runners than you, you will push yourself a little bit more each time and progress will come for sure. I used to go to a gym, and one of the trainer used to be a long distance runner, and took on himself to start a running class once a week. We used to go to the near park, we did hill training, short sprint, longer runs etc, my running really improved a lot during that time.
  • kimtober
    Options
    kimtober wrote: »
    I don’t have any big advice

I just noticed this got cut off awkwardly! I meant to say, just enjoy yourself
  • SweetKumquat
    Options
    I don’t have any big advice

I just noticed this got cut off awkwardly! I meant to say, just enjoy yourself

That's so amazing!!! Way to go girl!!
    Hearing your story makes me feel inspired.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Where did you start? Where are you now? What helped you to improve?
    Well, I was running a ton before I had two kids in two years. I was doing triathlons and 5ks on the regular.
    Now I'm back to running and training on a c25k app. I'm in week 7 and feeling great. I'll do my first 5k in over two years on April 14th and I'm excited and nervous. I know I won't break any personal records but just getting out there and doing it again and finishing is my goal.
    What helped me improve was the c25k app...and the fact that I feel amazing after each run. I love what running does for my mind and my body. I can't wait to run a few 5ks then start training for 10k and beyond.
  • kimtober
    Options
    This thread is amazing! Bookmarked!

I'm brand new to running...just started in January. My 5k on a treadmill is at 34min with no incline, 35-36 with a slight incline. Can't do much outside yet because my car is broken down and it isn't very safe to run much in my area because of the busy roads. But that'll change this weekend or next! I just signed up for my first 5K (And first ever sporting event in my life) for June 2nd. So all the advice here is amazing.

My first 5k was pretty much my first sporting event too! I really enjoy them and in my experience, a lot of people walk so I’ve never really been towards the back which is nice. Have fun!!
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Lots of advice here. For what it's worth, I've done 100+ races (I'm oldish), and I still get nervous! This is especially true when there's a possibility that I might do something special (e.g., run fast). Also, 5k is my favorite distance! It still requires a lot of training but I'm done before lunchtime!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I found that the nervous energy (maybe adrenaline?) on race day improved my time by about 2 minutes!