My husband's negative attitude

Options
tamera_g
tamera_g Posts: 128 Member
have to apologize in advance for complaining. If I talk to anyone in my life about this, it might hurt someone's feelings. So I am asking advice from you out there.
-I have been working out at a gym for over a year. I have gained some muscle but not lost any body fat. I'm consistent in working out but not watching what I eat.
-I have not been to the gym in two weeks because I as well as my kids, have been sick.
-I have never been a small girl. In high school I was a size 10-12 (US size ). Now I am 38 years old and am a size 14-16.
-He wants to take over my weight loss efforts; talk to my trainer, get a pre-diabetes test, know my body fat percentage, and buy all the food.

My question is: should I let him do this? If I refuse, what do I say? Am I being too sensitive? How can I talk to him calmly in a rational discussion?

Replies

• tamera_g
    Options
    Great advice from both of you. Thanks. I will try these.
    Yes I do truly want to change.
  • tamera_g
    Options
    I am 5'6"(1.68m) and 85kgs(190lbs.). My muscle mass has gone up but my body fat percentage has stayed the same.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    tamera_g wrote: »
    Great advice from both of you. Thanks. I will try these.
    Yes I do truly want to change.

So you have tried on your own and got nowhere so husband has offered to tell you what to do?
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    No, other than "I'm going to the gym the kids are in the X room, bye"

Although if he wants to be the one to take over shopping, then go for it! With the stipulation that HE should deal with any kid whining about "where is X food?"
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    What is his reason for wanting to take over? Ultimately you have to do this, what if he pushes you to hard / a level you are not comfortable with? Will you continue or abandon your goals?
  • k8andchr1smom
    k8andchr1smom Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    have to apologize in advance for complaining. If I talk to anyone in my life about this, it might hurt someone's feelings. So I am asking advice from you out there.
    -I have been working out at a gym for over a year. I have gained some muscle but not lost any body fat. I'm consistent in working out but not watching what I eat.
    -I have not been to the gym in two weeks because I as well as my kids, have been sick.
    -I have never been a small girl. In high school I was a size 10-12 (US size ). Now I am 38 years old and am a size 14-16.
    -He wants to take over my weight loss efforts; talk to my trainer, get a pre-diabetes test, know my body fat percentage, and buy all the food.

My question is: should I let him do this? If I refuse, what do I say? Am I being too sensitive? How can I talk to him calmly in a rational discussion?

How do you know your body fat is the same and you have more muscle mass if you haven't gotten your body fat done?
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    There seems to be some disconnect here. In your OP you say your husband wants to help or "take over" your weight loss, but your title says he has a "negative attitude". What's the negative part? Personally, anyone wanting to take over any part of my life would be a negative, but I'm not going to judge anyone else. Further info would be helpful.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options

Regardless of the answers to my previous post, this here (bold) is your answer. If YOU want to change, then you need to closely track your calorie intake. Keep up with the workouts, but if you don't take control of your calorie intake then you'll probably burn out due to lack of progress.
  • tamera_g
    Options
    BZAH10 At the gym I go to, there is a scale that tells you body fat and muscle mass. I just haven't gone in a few weeks because of sickness.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

Do you want to let him do this? Do you think it will be a good idea for your marriage, or is it likely to be a source of friction if you disagree on what you should be doing? Do you think will be good for your fitness goals? Does he have any knowledge or experience that qualifies him to take over your weight loss efforts?

I don't think your being too sensitive. At a minimum, all people should have autonomy over their bodies and not have to cede control of it to anyone else.

As for your second and fourth questions, if you don't know how to tell your husband no or how to have a calm, rational discussion with your husband, you have problems that go far beyond your weight control issues. If you say no thank your and tell him honestly whatever your misgivings are, what do you think his response is going to be? Anger?
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think this entirely depends on your relationship with your husband, and only you can be the judge of that. For me, if my husband offered to help me I would jump at the chance of him cooking me good healthy food and making sure there was no nibbly junk in the house by doing the shopping. It would be coming from a place of love that he saw I was struggling and wanted to help me and shoulder the burden of the planning. However, the way you have worded your post it sounds like everything would be a point for argument... So really, only you can judge how this is going to end for you both. If you don't feel that you can sit down and have a heart to heart with your own husband, and need to ask a bunch of internet strangers about it then I don't think it's going to work. Good luck with your decision.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    There are always two sides to every story. Have you noticed yourself expressing frustration over not being able to achieve progress? Seeing a partner constantly frustrated or spinning their wheels can be straining and frustrating in its own right because you want them to succeed. I'm the "fixer" type and I have to consciously make myself back off. What tone did he use when he offered to take over? Was it an angry tone? a supportive tone? A frustrated tone? A controlling tone? Does he exhibit alarming control patterns outside of this topic? Is he getting suckered into fear mongering information sources? How is your health?

Too much is unclear here to give you specific advice, but I suggest trying to see it from his perspective first in order to have a healthy discussion with him about it. We often get so wrapped up in our own inner world and what is being "done to us" that we forget other people have their inner world too and feel like things are being "done to them". I'm not saying in any way that you're at fault and he is not or vice versa, it's just that real communication that involves true listening and compassion goes a long way in dissipating many conflicts or at least making good decisions (which could be happy or unpleasant) based on what really is happening not on the over-dramatized version our brains tend to tell us.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    It's possible that when you started at the gym with a trainer, that he expected the trainer to get your nutrition under control, so you would lose weight and better your health. Now he sees, after over a year, that it didn't happen. So, I'd say he's trying a different tactic. None of us want to be strong-armed into doing something (even if we should for our own good). Do you think he's doing this because he loves you and is concerned? Or, is he just a controlling type? Only you can answer. Maybe agree to make a doctor's appointment and have a complete checkup. If your doctor says you're fine you can both talk to your husband about your health and fitness goals. Good luck.