Fish oil supplements - those GOD-AWFUL "fish burps"

Options
SunBunzz
SunBunzz Posts: 165 Member
edited March 2018 in Food and Nutrition
nsi1phhoe7ks.jpg
Is there a way to make those fish-tasting burps less nauseating? Or prevent them at all? I chew sugar-free mint gum and use Listerine strips, etc. But I've was recommended to take fish-oil for concentration, memory and metabolism improvement, etc. I'd rather eat fish outright, but I do get sick of it after awhile, and plus, most fish is expensive. (The only fish I like is salmon from the butcher's, cod, etc. (Besides cans of tuna, but I don't like eating that much tuna all the time.

Any input appreciated! Maybe there's an alternative to these that aren't as unpleasant?

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Can you take them before bed?
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I use Barlean's Omega Swirl in Key Lime and love it. Not as potent, though.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I buy the burpless ones, Nature Made brand, and keep them in the fridge which I'm told helps even more.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I get my fish oil at Costco - the Kirkland brand - and have no fishy after-burps.
  • sbedwards1077
    sbedwards1077 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I take mine at night before bed and it helps.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Look for lemon-flavored fish oil. I get it in liquid form but they have it in capsules too. It will also absorb better when taken with a meal.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but that dr. Oz crap of freezing or refrigerating goes against the manufacturer stability/storage data.
    There is a version made by nature made with a rather thick coating (at one point had sodium alginate - same excipients in Gaviscon - forms a gel that floats on top of stomach contents to help with reflux) made for this issue.

With food helpful of course and big one most people may forget - stand upright/ortho for a good 30mins-2 hours or at least lay down with head prompted upright if taking before bed. Laying down right after is not good for reflux
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but that dr. Oz crap of freezing or refrigerating goes against the manufacturer stability/storage data.
    There is a version made by nature made with a rather thick coating (at one point had sodium alginate - same excipients in Gaviscon - forms a gel that floats on top of stomach contents to help with reflux) made for this issue.

With food helpful of course and big one most people may forget - stand upright/ortho for a good 30mins-2 hours or at least lay down with head prompted upright if taking before bed. Laying down right after is not good for reflux

Thanks for the info about refrigeration. My therapist recommended fish oil to me and suggested getting burpless capsules and keeping in the fridge to make them smell & taste even less fishy...but may have to check into that in case it's an issue.
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Not sure if Dr Oz is full of crap or not, but I have been freezing mine for years with no issues and no belching up a minnow bucket.
  • shannonreidwiltshire
    shannonreidwiltshire Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I was going to say that my doctor said to freeze them.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I find taking them with a glass of water, right before a meal does the trick.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend switched to Krill oil - similar mineral profile, no fish burps.

~Lyssa
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Good fish oil doesn’t taste “fishy”. That’s usually indicative of it being rancid.

I’ve used Nordic Natural’s Ultimate Omega, and some of the Barlean’s Swirls before and I’ve never burped them before. Flax and Krill oil are also options for you if you’re looking for supplemental omega-3’s, but you won’t get as much EPA and DHA from them.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Buy the burpless kind
  • lostsomeweightonce
    lostsomeweightonce Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Mine is orange flavour liquid, not the capsule. I don't get the fish burps but I taste orange all day. Which is less annoying. I find if I take it on an empty stomach it's worse.