How many grams in a cup of cooked pasta?

Options
Could only find conversion from dry weight uncooked pasta to cups cooked. Thanks!!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It’s going to vary depending on how long you cook it/how much water it absorbs. This is why it’s suggested to weigh things dry/pre-cooked.
  • misosoupaha
    misosoupaha Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks, but unfortunately the whole package is already cooked :)
  • BlendaBrenda
    BlendaBrenda Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I weigh the whole cooked lot and then do it based off that. So if you cook 450g dry weight (approx. a pound box) and it now equals 1000g cooked, then 100g of the cooked pasta will be 10% of the calories of a whole box. Does that makes sense?
  • misosoupaha
    Options
    Makes sense, thank you!
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    This is per the folks at the United States Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference Release 28.

Source: Basic Report: 20121, Pasta, cooked, enriched, without added salt

1 cup spaghetti not packed 124 g
    1 cup spaghetti packed 151 g
    1 cup elbows not packed 120 g
    1 cup elbows packed 132 g
    1 cup penne 107 g
    1 cup farfalle 107 g
    1 cup rotini 107 g
  • misosoupaha
    Options
    Yes! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much for taking the time to find and post this info
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    This is per the folks at the United States Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference Release 28.

1 cup penne 107 g
    1 cup farfalle 107 g
    1 cup rotini 107 g

How is that going to help though? You still won't know how much a serving of each will make. I'm confused.

Anyway, typically a serving of cooked pasta is about 120-130g depending on the brand and how long you cook it for, I usually overestimate and use 120g.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    CyberTone wrote: »

1 cup penne 107 g
    1 cup farfalle 107 g
    1 cup rotini 107 g

How is that going to help though? You still won't know how much a serving of each will make. I'm confused.

Anyway, typically a serving of cooked pasta is about 120-130g depending on the brand and how long you cook it for, I usually overestimate and use 120g.

This is cooked weight - not uncooked weight - it’s not perfect but would get you close
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I just last night cooked one weighed-out serving (56g dry) of spaghetti to al dente, drained it, then weighed it. Cooked weight was 125 g. So almost exactly what the above chart says for a not-packed cup of cooked spaghetti. Someone else had done the same thing and posted it--2 oz dry spaghetti equaled 4.5 oz cooked. My 125 g = 4.4 oz.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I just last night cooked one weighed-out serving (56g dry) of spaghetti to al dente, drained it, then weighed it. Cooked weight was 125 g. So almost exactly what the above chart says for a not-packed cup of cooked spaghetti. Someone else had done the same thing and posted it--2 oz dry spaghetti equaled 4.5 oz cooked. My 125 g = 4.4 oz.

But that chart gives you the weight by cup, not the weight by serving cooked, so it's not helpful at all lol.
  • misosoupaha
    Options
    [
    But that chart gives you the weight by cup, not the weight by serving cooked, so it's not helpful at all lol.

It's helpful because if you look at, say, barilla website, it only says how many cooked cups of pasta you would get from x oz of dry pasta. But it doesn't say how much a cooked cup would weigh, which is important for people who use a food scale. The best practice is, of course, to weigh your individual serving of dry pasta before cooking it, but that may not be practical when cooking for the whole family.
  • Francl27
    edited March 2018
    Options
    [

It's helpful because if you look at, say, barilla website, it only says how many cooked cups of pasta you would get from x oz of dry pasta. But it doesn't say how much a cooked cup would weigh, which is important for people who use a food scale. The best practice is, of course, to weigh your individual serving of dry pasta before cooking it, but that may not be practical when cooking for the whole family.

But that's not what the chart tells you. It doesn't tell you how much a SERVING weighs... which is what you were asking... what the volume of a serving is is irrelevant when you use a food scale... Most servings are pretty much never one cup of cooked pasta...
  • misosoupaha
    Options

But that's not what the chart tells you. It doesn't tell you how much a SERVING weighs... which is what you were asking... what the volume of a serving is is irrelevant when you use a food scale... Most servings are pretty much never one cup of cooked pasta...

Most pastas specify a serving as 2 oz dry pasta. Per Barilla website, 2 oz uncooked penne makes 1-1 1/4 cups of cooked pasta. Per the chart above, 1 cup cooked penne is 107 grams.
    Hence, if you didn't start out by weighing your dry pasta before cooking it, you can weigh 107 grams cooked penne and call it a serving, correct?