Insane urge to eat\binge after eating.

Options
So as long as i can recall this is how i am.
Prior to eating I may not even be feeling hungry...no cravings nothing. But then I eat my balanced meal...bam i wanna eat everything in sight. Its intense too...like all i can think about...a million thoughts going through my head to justify eating more and more.
Sometimes it makes me hesitant to eat cause i'll be in control before...but not after. That cant be normal

Replies

• moototwo
    moototwo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yea I get that too. Not an urge to eat really but will just start snacking, I will eat something salty , then I think no that is not what I want and get something sweet, that is not what I want then I eat something else and so on and so on......and I do not think it is normal either, I do not know why I do it. Just mindless eating of calories I do not need.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    How long does the urge last after you eat? If you can quantify this--like, know it will disappear in a half-hour-- perhaps you can better manage it with an after dinner walk or some such, just to get away from the food.

What happens if you are not hungry and you push back the time that you eat? Does it get worse, is it about the same, does it get better? How might this response help you to better manage it?

What happens if you allow yourself to gorge on, say, additional servings of steamed broccoli?

If there are regular periods where you are not hungry, perhaps intermittent fasting would provide a helpful management tool? That would allow you to put off the "binge" and give you a larger amount to eat when you are ready.

I would take a scientific approach to it and seek to understand the mechanics, as well as what helps you best deal with it.
  • Pale_Green
    Pale_Green Posts: 64 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Well its nice to know theres others out there feeling this is a issue. Its very frustrating...i also have at times pushed back my meals till later...doesnt really help with the urge to keep going but theres a smaller window of time left lol
    Ive been vegetarian for 7 months (massively gained during the switch...youd think a vegetarian diet would have opposite effect...but vegetarian diet is largely carbs...and often lower in fat) so now im 4 days in to vegetarian keto. I cant push my food till later in the day now...reaching that fat quota just cant be left for a small window lol...but manalive i just had my lunch and all i can do is dream of food. But yes distracting myself seems to help...and it does pass till next time i eat. Its just frustrating...i hope to conquer my mind on this one day.
  • its_whisper
    its_whisper Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    i'm the same way! I'm really struggling lately. My daily allowance to stay at my current weight is 1930 and my goalis to lose .5 a week ( Iwant to do it slowly and healthy) and to do that I need 1680...well i am at 2100 right now and want to eat! I eat filling food...i just understand your struggle and if you want to talk message me!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Be patient and try different things. IF may be a lifesaver for you. Or maybe volume eating, higher carbs or a combo of a few things.

My first year, I was totally white-knuckling it like you, but after much experimentation— found a lifestyle I can maintain.
  • vajoseph
    vajoseph Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I do intermittent fasting and when it's time to break my fast, I want to eat my breakfast, snacks, lunch and dessert (and sometimes I do). I feel so out of control sometimes. It happens with every meal except dinner.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Pale_Green wrote: »
    Well its nice to know theres others out there feeling this is a issue. Its very frustrating...i also have at times pushed back my meals till later...doesnt really help with the urge to keep going but theres a smaller window of time left lol
    Ive been vegetarian for 7 months (massively gained during the switch...youd think a vegetarian diet would have opposite effect...but vegetarian diet is largely carbs...and often lower in fat) so now im 4 days in to vegetarian keto. I cant push my food till later in the day now...reaching that fat quota just cant be left for a small window lol...but manalive i just had my lunch and all i can do is dream of food. But yes distracting myself seems to help...and it does pass till next time i eat. Its just frustrating...i hope to conquer my mind on this one day.

can I ask how you are doing vegetarian keto? keto is high fat(60 pecent or more of your intake) ,low carbs and moderate protein. and correct me if Im wrong but dont vegetarians eat a lot of carbs? and you can gain weight even eating vegetarian its all about calories in vs calories out. so you can even eat too much being vegetarian. for you not getting enough fat or protein could be making you hungrier and therefore wanting to binge or it could be maybe you arent eating enough calories?(you didntsay what your calorie intake is)
  • klenz525
    klenz525 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I get the same feeling! I find if I pop a piece of minty gum immediately after finishing my meal, I do better with controlling the urge to eat more.
  • Pale_Green
    edited March 2018
    Options

can I ask how you are doing vegetarian keto? keto is high fat(60 pecent or more of your intake) ,low carbs and moderate protein. and correct me if Im wrong but dont vegetarians eat a lot of carbs? and you can gain weight even eating vegetarian its all about calories in vs calories out. so you can even eat too much being vegetarian. for you not getting enough fat or protein could be making you hungrier and therefore wanting to binge or it could be maybe you arent eating enough calories?(you didntsay what your calorie intake is)

Yea I wasnt cal counting when i went vegetarian. Sigh...and ive always known my body isnt a fan of carbs in general. I never crave stuff like bread, pasta, rice, lentils etc. But had added them in..grant my cals were obviously high to gain. But i also just wasnt feeling well after eating alot of the carb vegetarian meals. I was a massive meat eater prior...naturally craved meat and dairy.

Anywho i am able to easily get my protein ...theres protein drinks most of which also fit into keto range. The one i have delivers 40g protein so i dont have to worry too much after that..my food fills the rest in. So far my diet is wake have bullet tea...chai tea with coconut milk and14g of coconut oil. And 125g of organic greek gods plain yogurt.then at lunch 60g arugula and 50g baby spinach. With a greek yogurt dressing 30g of cheese. Than i take my plant based omega 3...its oil of some plant.
    Then at supper 4 egg omelete with 30g cheese..a little more greek dressing like 15g. And franks red hot dressing. My day comes to about 1300-1400 cals

That said it doesnt matter if im currently following a program or not once i first have a meal i always have a hard time stopping.

Sadly i dont think my body type actually likes being vegetarian. But i didnt really make the switch for health reasons. I am kinda sad i didnt get the feeling great going plant base as others say they do.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Yea I wasnt cal counting when i went vegetarian. Sigh...and ive always known my body isnt a fan of carbs in general. I never crave stuff like bread, pasta, rice, lentils etc. But had added them in..grant my cals were obviously high to gain. But i also just wasnt feeling well after eating alot of the carb vegetarian meals. I was a massive meat eater prior...naturally craved meat and dairy.

Anywho i am able to easily get my protein ...theres protein drinks most of which also fit into keto range. The one i have delivers 40g protein so i dont have to worry too much after that..my food fills the rest in. So far my diet is wake have bullet tea...chai tea with coconut milk and14g of coconut oil. And 125g of organic greek gods plain yogurt.then at lunch 60g arugula and 50g baby spinach. With a greek yogurt dressing 30g of cheese. Than i take my plant based omega 3...its oil of some plant.
    Then at supper 4 egg omelete with 30g cheese..a little more greek dressing like 15g. And franks red hot dressing. My day comes to about 1300-1400 cals

That said it doesnt matter if im currently following a program or not once i first have a meal i always have a hard time stopping.

Sadly i dont think my body type actually likes being vegetarian. But i didnt really make the switch for health reasons. I am kinda sad i didnt get the feeling great going plant base as others say they do.

how active are you? and do you eat back your exercise calories? for some people certain ways of eating arent sustainable for them. but as for keto how much fat are you getting per day? also if doing keto and doing low carb, your body can get whats called keto flu in which you need to up sodium to 3500-5000 mg. and make sure you are getting enough potassium and magnesium as well. that could make you feel better. you body needs a good amount of fat to help with producing ketones. fat is what your body uses as a fuel source.
  • Pale_Green
    Options

how active are you? and do you eat back your exercise calories? for some people certain ways of eating arent sustainable for them. but as for keto how much fat are you getting per day? also if doing keto and doing low carb, your body can get whats called keto flu in which you need to up sodium to 3500-5000 mg. and make sure you are getting enough potassium and magnesium as well. that could make you feel better. you body needs a good amount of fat to help with producing ketones. fat is what your body uses as a fuel source.

I was feeling ill just being vegetarian. Not now doing keto...i feel back to normal now. My macros are 70% fat...25%protein and 5% carbs. And i am meeting them. My urine shows a 2.75 ketone level so im doing good. And im staying under 1500cals. I average 1300-1450 cals.

I think the higher carb lower fat vegetarian diet does not like my body. So thats why im doing keto. Plus i regularly lived a keto life when i was a meater. And always felt great.

But as for just the urge to always eat after i just eaten. Thats always been there no matter my diet or if i was vegetarian or not. But i feel good..just wonder if its normal to always feel the urge to eat more after eating a adeqate amount. Lol
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Maybe intermittent fasting would work for you? Save all your eating for a few hours window, so you can have large portions.

I don't IF because I get hangry, but every few weeks I will go thru what the OP describes and my eating just snowballs.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I was feeling ill just being vegetarian. Not now doing keto...i feel back to normal now. My macros are 70% fat...25%protein and 5% carbs. And i am meeting them. My urine shows a 2.75 ketone level so im doing good. And im staying under 1500cals. I average 1300-1450 cals.

I think the higher carb lower fat vegetarian diet does not like my body. So thats why im doing keto. Plus i regularly lived a keto life when i was a meater. And always felt great.

But as for just the urge to always eat after i just eaten. Thats always been there no matter my diet or if i was vegetarian or not. But i feel good..just wonder if its normal to always feel the urge to eat more after eating a adeqate amount. Lol

the only way I feel the urge to eat more if I ate a good amount is if I didnt get enough sleep. otherwise most days I dont have that issue. or if I eat breakfast I want to eat everything in the house. which is one reason why I do 16:8(sometimes 18:6) intermittent fasting. I was never a breakfast person even at a very young age.but I try to get enough protein and fiber too. I cant do keto due to a health issue. I also make sure to drink enough water. so maybe if you arent getting enough fiber or water this could be why you feel like you want to "binge" so to speak.

but it just may be you need more calories especially if active.have you had blood work done? maybe you have a vitamin deficiency? anything is possible.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Your diet seems quite challenging. Maybe the urge to binge is just your brain rebelling against being forced into the very confining box that is vegetarian keto. Keep trying different things. When you find a sustainable (for you) way to eat, it will work with you not against you.
  • CBD92
    CBD92 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Vegetarian here who has gone through all these same problems! I've tried all different diets, different eating techniques etc, and really the only thing I've ever found that has been sustainable, has given me weight loss AND given me energy at the same time is paying attention to my BMR. If you're eating 1300 calories per day, you may not be eating enough for all the systems of your body to even function properly. Let me explain a little more.

Your BMR (or basal metabolic rate) is the amount of calories your body burns at rest. So all the bodily functions we don't consciously control (heart pumping blood, lungs breathing and exchanging gases, hormone production, food digestion, metabolism working, etc) all burn calories. The amount your body burns is unique to you and you can figure it out online by finding a BMR calculator (don't confuse it with BMI calculator) and input your height, weight, age, and sex. Yours will be different than mine, but we will use me as an example. My BMR is 1650 calories. This means if I did nothing but sleep for 24 hours, during that period my body would burn 1650 calories. It is SO crucial and important to make sure, at a very minimum, you eat your BMR every single day because without that amount, your body cannot function properly. All the systems in the body will start to slow down and you will become fatigued. This places a lot of stress on the body, and we all know that the stress hormone (cortisol) promotes weight gain (or prevents fat loss).

Sometimes people can have a hard time grasping the concept of "eat more lose more" because that's not what we've always been told, but if the systems of your body can function at their very best, you will be HEALTHY. And that should be the aim of everyone's lifestyle change is to just be healthy, because weight loss WILL follow a healthy body - it's just natural! You won't even have to try. :)

Think about it like this, my BMR, 1650, is burned off. So if I eat that, I burn it, they cancel each other out. So if I don't eat much more than that, any other activity I do during the day (walking, working, cleaning etc) will all count toward a calorie deficit. I always suggest eating a bit more than your bmr if you're moderately active and especially if you're exercising, but your bmr is a great baseline to make sure you never go under. Once you restore balance and total health and wellbeing to all the systems of your body, the weight loss will naturally follow and you will feel great and have lots of evergy!

Also if you have any questions about being veggie, I can help you with that. I've been doing it for 6 years and my son is 2.5 and has been a vegetarian his whole life. We are extremely healthy and get all the necessary nutrients as I've done extensive research. If you're tired, this is your bodies way of telling you it needs something. You most likely need more calories (just check your BMR) or you may be depleting yourself of one or more nutrients. Once I started weighing and tracking all my food and making sure everything was totally balanced, I stopped binge eating and didn't even have to try. The urge just left. And this is something I struggled with badly for over 20 years. Up until a few months ago I would easily eat 2 plates of food then go eat 2 chocolate bars, cookies, ice cream, all night long. My body just finally has what it needs, it's happy, so the cravings are gone. Good luck to you!!!