anybody have an opinion on weighing yourself?

Options
2»

Replies

• jmetzger10
    jmetzger10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also force myself to only weigh once a week. Try to keep to the same time and day of the week
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself on days that ends in ...day. I find that works for me.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    You are the only one who can determine if it is healthy for you to weight yourself that much. I weigh myself every morning after my morning bathroom rituals though I only update once / week. That said... there are days like today I weighed.... went to physical therapy ... then headed home and jumped on again....

as long as you don't OBSESS about the numbers it's okay.... to me the numbers are just that ... but I get a charge every time I see them go down... even by just 0.1 pounds!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't find it discouraging, you can weigh yourself as often as you want. I mean, who is going to know unless you tell people? You could even get special shoes made to constantly record your weight. That would be cool.

The thing is, you already know that it isn't accurate and you only record your weight weekly, so why bother?

Anyway, do what you want. It doesn't affect anything.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I'm not one of those people that can check every day. My weight can fluctuate by 5 lbs in a day and I find that very discouraging. I weigh myself only on Friday mornings. And honestly, I don't even like to weigh myself once a week. I dread Friday mornings.
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I currently record my weight once a week and use that as my goal/progress, but I actually get on the scale 5-6 times a day... usually whenever I pass the thing. It can fluctuate between a half pound and a pound and a half. I have no idea why, but I just do it. I've been told this is 'bad.' It makes me think of Ghostbusters... "wait a minute Egon, you said crossing the streams would be 'bad.'

Love the Ghostbusters reference :tongue:

Read this article...it makes a lot of sense about weight fluctuations and the scale.

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/articles/scale_lies.htm

:drinker:
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I do also weigh myself several times a day... I find it facinating to see my weight go up 1.5 lbs after drinking several large glasses of water, then an hour later after I pee to see it go down 1.5 lbs. I record my morning neckid weigh in every wednesday, but I feel seeing it everyday helps me stay in control to see my number every day. My biggest fear is that one day Ill step on the scale and it will suddenly be over 200 lbs again. I am so concerned about it that I find myself holding my breath waiting for it to register.

wow.... I sound like a freak....
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    I weigh myself daily but only log once a week. I've found in the past when I stop hopping on the scale daily, my weight will creep back on, so this kinda helps keep things in check. It's something that works for me, but not everyone. Good luck!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I record my weight once a week, but I step on my scale every morning. I just like seeing the lower numbers!
  • the_other_kitkat
    Options
    Weighing myself everyday helps me stay on track and I find it interesting. I also don't freak out about water weight gains, and like some people here I had a lot of fun weighing myself multiples time each day when I first got my scale. I like seeing how my body works and how water weight can fluctuate throughout the day. I only log new lows here on MFP, but I also keep a graph on my computer and I find it helpful to be able to see that the overall trend is down. Before I did this I would sometimes feel like I was plateauing when I really wasn't.

YMMV, obviously there are people for whom this strategy does not work so well.
  • missymuffet
    missymuffet Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Julia your stats are what I'm trying to accomplish! I weigh every morning also..........it's not weighing everyday and being accountable that has my weight up to 154, hoping to be down to 130. Any advice?? I'm currently doing 30 day shred.........at least 60 min. ex./day and goal of 1200 cal/day I am 5ft.5in.

:happy:
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Mine is weigh in the morning, every day, after going to the rest room, naked. I don't weigh myself throughout the day because that would be like putting rocks in my pocket and getting on the scale. I do not need to know how much the food and drink I consume weigh.

Ditto to this!

I will never weigh myself later in the day, I try and drink alot and even though because of this I am constantly on the loo, I can imagine it still makes me gain a fair bit over the course of the day!
  • jillwaller
    Options
    I forgot to weigh in... Like, it's been about a week since I last checked my weight and I'll remember in the evening that I should, but then I want to wait until the morning when it's recommended to weigh-in. Eventually I'll check again, I do feel a difference.
  • missymuffet
    missymuffet Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm a daily weigher also.............try to wean down to morning and night. It helps keep me accountable ...........it's not weighing that got me needing to lose weight in the first place!! So I think you're ok to weigh daily as long as you don't obsess.
  • porksiopao
    porksiopao Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I do daily readings too, usually before breakfast. Sometimes I weigh throughout the day just to observe how it fluctuates. Like other I don't react to the day-to-day readings, instead I focus on the trends (weekly). Good thing my scale reads very consistent, which gives me more confidence that weight loss trends are accurate.
  • katellery
    Options
    I think you should weigh yourself everyday... multiple times a day. Obsess over it. Let it consume your life.

That's me being sarcastic.

In reality, I weigh myself every Thursday morning. Consistency is the key to life.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day........not to be too OCD about it but I find the body facsinating because of all the little ups and downs. I like to see how a workout or food affects my weight. it helps me feel a bit more in control and able to fend off a gain.

You are not bad - you are a scientist!

Same here. I weigh myself everyday, sometimes more than once. I only record it in MFP once a week though.

I like to weigh myself right before I go to bed and right after I get up in the morning because it's interesting to me how much it varies. I also do it sometimes right before and after a workout - kind of puts into perspective how much water you lose through sweat after a really good workout.
  • Jennfur2610
    Jennfur2610 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day, at the same time, on the same scale. People tell me I shouldn't do it every day but I do anyways ;-)

THIS. It helps keep me on track. I record my weight on Tuesdays with MFP to show progress.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every day, at the same time of day, in the same clothes every day. I don't much care what it says today as opposed to yesterday, I care about the general trend of those numbers over time. As long as I see a general downward trend over a month's time, I'm happy.

I do also weigh myself at other times just for my own curiosity, but I only record my weight first thing in the morning... right after I pee but before I eat or drink anything.