Not able to work out do to autoamune

Options
I have AS and it makes my body really hurt, so I’m not able to walk for long distances any more which sucks since I’m only 33. I’ve gained about 75lbs so I have cut my calories and I’m doing IF my calories have been cut to around 1000 a day but it doesn’t bother me as I’m not hungry that much. Any advice?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't go below minimum (1500), but log correctly.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I have AS and it makes my body really hurt, so I’m not able to walk for long distances any more which sucks since I’m only 33. I’ve gained about 75lbs so I have cut my calories and I’m doing IF my calories have been cut to around 1000 a day but it doesn’t bother me as I’m not hungry that much. Any advice?

I understand completely. I have 2 autoimmune diseases and deal with chronic pain. Only 1000 calories is really low for a male your age. Eat plenty of protein, healthy fats such as fish, nuts, avocados, and lots of veggies. You can eat more that way and get the nutrition you need. Plus monounsaturated fats like these are good for inflammation.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys. I have went to a dietitian before, a couple years ago they told me around 1500 also but I’m not hungry that much which is good I think lol I’m trying to lose as much as possible before October because my husband and me are going to universal studios for a week so there will be a lot of walking ALOT! Lol. So that’s why I cut to 1000 calories a day. About 5 years ago I had got to my highest weight then at 200lbs and lost close to 60lbs in 4 months but I only kept it off for 2 years and not I’m at 215 but I’m not able to work out like I did then since I’m in so much pain all the time. Iv also heard pain meds make you fat too so I think that’s working against me also

Losing as quickly as this is going to cost you muscle mass as well as fat. Not to mention all the other long-term and short-term effects of eating so lowly. You're not doing yourself any favours here. If you find that you're not hungry as much then focus on building meals that are very calorie dense. Also I don't think being hungry is a sign of much - I've had many days where I didn't feel hungry and had I followed those feelings, I'd have way too many days of not eating at all. Your body needs fuel. Eat.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I have a few autoimmune disorders, one affects my muscles (including my breathing and swallowing muscles) and another my nerves. Both limit my exercise ability because the more I use a muscle, the weaker it gets. To the point that I become paralyzed and stop breathing altogether.

So, to lose weight, I use a step counter (I like the Fitbit One). I have it set to “negative calories,” so the less active I am, the fewer calories show up on MFP. On days when I’m more active, I might get positive exercise calories. Along with a low-carb diet to manage cravings (but going too low causes problems with my autoimmune issues, so it’s a balancing act), it helped me lose weight even when on full bedrest. Just make sure you’re getting adequate protein, so you’re not catabolizing your body’s muscle stores.

I followed an anti inflammatory elimination diet, it helps me tremendously with aches and pains. It hasn’t reversed my diagnosed autoimmune issues, though.

Look for any kind of exercise you can, to keep your body moving as best as possible. There are all kinds of new treatments available for autoimmune disorders. Make your goal to stay as healthy as possible for any healing that may come.

Isometrics, pool therapy, open-chain exercises.... there is always something I can do. Even when I’m on full bedrest, I can exercise the muscles I can still move in a way that’s safe and not over-taxing for them. I bet there are similar exercises that you can do that won’t aggravate pain of AS— find a top-notch Physical Therapist who can teach you. The MDA, or of you have an AS support group, may be able to help you identify a good PT.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Iv also heard pain meds make you fat too so I think that’s working against me also

not a doctor, but about this . . . depends on the meds? for instance i've had a few friends say prednisone made them heavier. but 'weight' from that cause may be from water retention, not fat. so calorie restriction won't change that much afaik.

so i did some very rough math. let's say it's about 6 months to october? that's 24 weeks (very very roughly becuase i'm too lazy to figure it out). you didn't mention a goal weight or goal loss amount that i saw. i think it's better to know the general safe-loss rate (1 to 2 pounds a week afaik), and then take it from there.

you CAN lose three pounds a week for 25 weeks, but i think it's worth asking yourself if it's worth it if the cost is something like flareups or generalize weakness or muscle loss or whatever. your motivation is awesome, but remember that physical weight is only ONE factor in being comfortable in your body and in less pain.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm not sure what "AS" means. Tai Chi is fantastic for arthritis, chronic pain. Some with chronic conditions (my wife has Fibro) can't do the pool. She's chemically sensitive and the toxins converted from chlorine combined with urine/sweat make her deathly ill. Tai Chi has been proven clinically to reduce pain. It's gentle and easy on your body. Also, nearly any autoimmune condition can be improved (or reversed) with the right diet. I personally believe the more prescriptions someone is on, the harder it is to get better.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Iv also heard pain meds make you fat too so I think that’s working against me also

not a doctor, but about this . . . depends on the meds? for instance i've had a few friends say prednisone made them heavier. but 'weight' from that cause may be from water retention, not fat. so calorie restriction won't change that much afaik.

so i did some very rough math. let's say it's about 6 months to october? that's 24 weeks (very very roughly becuase i'm too lazy to figure it out). you didn't mention a goal weight or goal loss amount that i saw. i think it's better to know the general safe-loss rate (1 to 2 pounds a week afaik), and then take it from there.

you CAN lose three pounds a week for 25 weeks, but i think it's worth asking yourself if it's worth it if the cost is something like flareups or generalize weakness or muscle loss or whatever. your motivation is awesome, but remember that physical weight is only ONE factor in being comfortable in your body and in less pain.

Prednisone affects both water retention and appetite. So yes, If you're diligent about monitoring and disciplining intake, dropping the water off afterwards isn't that big of a deal
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    If by AS you mean Ankylosing spondylitis, I feel for you. My husband has an issue with joint inflammation (I'm not sure what his diagnosis actually is but it's manageable with lots of NSAIDs right now) and has tested positive for the gene (or mutation?) that tends to lead to AS, so he has researched it a lot.

Have you spoken with your autoimmune doctor about your desire to lose weight, and the limitations you experience due to your AS? They may be able to refer you to a nutritionist who specializes in autoimmune diseases and a physical therapist (or someone like that) - it would probably be really helpful for you to have a team behind you working together to create an anti-inflammation diet & exercise regimen to help you lose weight while eating a healthy amount of food and reduce flare-ups.
  • BluEyedMama85
    BluEyedMama85 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    My dad has AS too and I have Achalasia. I get it. Do what you can but don't stress over what you can't. Hugs <3
  • Ziggy2875
    Ziggy2875 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I tore my tendon in a January, you can still loose weight with out rxcercise. Just set the goals to sedentary, you will get less calories which sucks, but you don’t have to go below them. I started my weight loss journey in December so most of it has been without exercise. I’ve lost about 36 pounds so far, most of it with counting calories and no excercisr.