My Dr is insisting that I need wt loss surgery

Options
Hello everyone! I have been ow my entire life. Six years ago I lost 150 lbs by going to the gym 6 days per wk for 2-3 hrs per day and balancing my diet. Unfortunately due to my Rheumatoid Arthritis and my daughters health this past 2 years I have not been able to go to the gym. I have gained all the wt back :( and even though I diet and exercise at home it is not the same and instead of loosing wt I keep gaining. In my last dr appt she said I have to have the wt loss surgery. To be honest I am scared, specially because I have a teen daughter that needs me. Can you please share your experience with wt loss surgery...Thank you!

Replies

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Don't risk your health and your daughter not having a mother.

Ill be the one to say it, get a new doctor and find a way to make it happen without the surgery. Your daughter should be plenty of motivation. You gained it back because you ate too much. Eat less, find a way to move more that doesn't hurt.

You can definitely do it.
  • jyamiolk
    jyamiolk Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    hroderick wrote: »
    You've done it before, you can do it again!

My mom had gastric bypass years ago and lived to regret it. She lost a lot at first then gained it all back on the oreo+coca cola diet. After surgery, her diet was one cookie and 1/3 can was all she could hold, so she ate it every waking hour. Often half would bubble back up. She used to cook well but quit because she no longer enjoyed it. About 5 years after surgery she got lymphoma and did chemo. Shortly after that she developed ALS and there's no getting around that horrible end of life. I'm not saying her surgery or bad eating caused the diseases, but who knows. I wish my mom had taught me better what I'm learning now about eating. She did teach me the hard way not to get gastric bypass. I have 150 to lose and just passed the 40 mark. I'm going to do it the willpower way.

I think surgery only works out when people they made healthy lifestyle changes after the surgery. I think a lot of our problem is we use food for some kind of emotional crutch and surgery won't fix that.

Think about joining a gym with a pool for water exercise and swimming. Both are great for RA. Also what a great time to teach your daughter how good fitness feels and what it takes to be fit by going to the gym together. You can teach her how to live without ever experiencing fat shame. How proud will she be of her mom every time 5 lb disappears? Also teaching her healthy meal planning and cooking will make her such a fantastic mama in not many more years. I wish my mom had been healthy enough to play with my kids in the last few years of life.

I hope you make the most of whichever choice you make.

You nailed it on the head. Surgery is a tool and requires healthy lifestyle changes to be successful.
  • jyamiolk
    jyamiolk Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    lois1231 wrote: »
    garber6th wrote: »
    jyamiolk wrote: »
    My highest weight was 302 pounds and I had diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea and other medical issues with my health declining. I tried multiple diets and yo yo'd for a long time. I made the decision to have weight loss surgery back in 2014. I had the vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy and lost 120 pounds. I have been logging my meals on MFP for 1200+ days and have been in maintenance for 2.5 years keeping within about a 5 pound margin. This was the best decision I have made and am no longer diabetic, off HBP meds and no sleep apnea. It has given me a new lease on life. I have taken a love for fitness and this would not have been possible without the weight loss. I know that some are very much against it and CICO works. I had gotten myself to such a high weight that this tool was necessary. The WLS is only a tool and you have to also change your addiction to food and learn sustainable means to maintain. Let me know if you have any additional questions. It is definitely a personal decision and need to consider all the pros and cons. If you decide on WLS investigate the different procedures and discuss the pros and cons with your doctor. Don't rush the process.

I can relate to all of this. I was up to about 390 pounds when I had VSG weight loss surgery 4 1/2 years ago. I felt for me it was the best option to get myself out of danger faster. My quality of life is awesome now and I never thought I would live such a healthy and happy life. Like @jyamiolk said, it's a tool and you have to change your relationship with food. It's not a magic pill and you have to make a commitment to make permanent changes. Most of the time when you hear negative things about WLS it's because the people who aren't successful or have complications don't do the things they are supposed to do which not only causes regain, but more/other health problems sometimes. My doctor didn't tell me I HAD to have WLS. I made the decision, with the help of my GP, my surgeon, and my therapist. I had to make sure I was ready. Take your time, do your research, ask a lot of questions, and get as many opinions as you need. Also, this group on MFP has members in all stages of WLS, from pre-approval to preparation to post-surgery at all stages, and they will answer any questions you have openly and honestly, and from real experience -

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband

Good luck in whatever path you choose to get healthy and feel free to ask me any questions you might have!

You are wrong by saying that most people don't do everything they are told. I went to every support group before hand, had years of therapy, did all my research but I still regained every pound plus some and got to my highest weight of 317 pounds. I collapsed both lungs having the surgery and spent 5 days in intensive care and 10 days or so in the hospital. When I got out I had a hard time keeping water down and was extremely weak. I still get sick from the smallest portions of meat or pasta. I learned to eat around it by finding foods that wouldn't make me throw up. On top of all that I wasn't a big loser. I started at 292 and only lost 70 pounds. I am almost back right now, only 25 pounds away from the weight I got to after gastric bypass. You are not that far out. I have been out since 2001. I now have barretts esophagus and chronic ulcers, hernias and had massive dental work from all the vomiting, problems which I didn't have before. Still I don't like to discourage people from getting it done because I had to lose the weight because I needed double knee replacements which I did have. My knees have been free of pain since 2003 which in itself is a blessing. My implants are 14 and 15 years old. My friend had the surgery and has kept the weight off but has ended up in the hospital numerous times for bleeding ulcers and dehydration among other problems. After gastric bypass after regaining the weight I saw a nutritionist when I was at my highest weight and got down to 220 from 317 pounds. Over the years I gained it back until I settle around 250-275. I restarted on here at 275 calorie counting in January and am down 37 pounds and am determined to make it. I don't want to discourage the OP from getting the surgery but it really is no picnic and is not the easy way out. If you can do it on your own, it would be better than getting surgery. I also should tell you my brother had it. He started at 450 pounds and lost over 200 pounds but also ruptured the staple lineafter surgery and spent a month in the hospital and also almost died. He has a zipper all the way down his chest to his umbilicus. He also has had some regain. I would tell the original poster to weigh out the pros and consequences, try and lose it on her own, research, talk to people who have succeed and those who struggled and go from there. You may also find the post of group support is severely lacking like I did. In ours both preops and postops would go and mostly they were so upbeat as not to discourage the preops from getting the surgery. You couldn't be honest.

Sorry you went through so many issues post op. With any surgery (WLS surgery is a major procedure) there can be complications as with any other procedure like having your appendix removed. Researching the doctor, facility, question on the number of procedures the surgeon did and also discuss any complications he or she dealt with.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    lois1231 wrote: »
    garber6th wrote: »
    jyamiolk wrote: »
    My highest weight was 302 pounds and I had diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea and other medical issues with my health declining. I tried multiple diets and yo yo'd for a long time. I made the decision to have weight loss surgery back in 2014. I had the vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy and lost 120 pounds. I have been logging my meals on MFP for 1200+ days and have been in maintenance for 2.5 years keeping within about a 5 pound margin. This was the best decision I have made and am no longer diabetic, off HBP meds and no sleep apnea. It has given me a new lease on life. I have taken a love for fitness and this would not have been possible without the weight loss. I know that some are very much against it and CICO works. I had gotten myself to such a high weight that this tool was necessary. The WLS is only a tool and you have to also change your addiction to food and learn sustainable means to maintain. Let me know if you have any additional questions. It is definitely a personal decision and need to consider all the pros and cons. If you decide on WLS investigate the different procedures and discuss the pros and cons with your doctor. Don't rush the process.

I can relate to all of this. I was up to about 390 pounds when I had VSG weight loss surgery 4 1/2 years ago. I felt for me it was the best option to get myself out of danger faster. My quality of life is awesome now and I never thought I would live such a healthy and happy life. Like @jyamiolk said, it's a tool and you have to change your relationship with food. It's not a magic pill and you have to make a commitment to make permanent changes. Most of the time when you hear negative things about WLS it's because the people who aren't successful or have complications don't do the things they are supposed to do which not only causes regain, but more/other health problems sometimes. My doctor didn't tell me I HAD to have WLS. I made the decision, with the help of my GP, my surgeon, and my therapist. I had to make sure I was ready. Take your time, do your research, ask a lot of questions, and get as many opinions as you need. Also, this group on MFP has members in all stages of WLS, from pre-approval to preparation to post-surgery at all stages, and they will answer any questions you have openly and honestly, and from real experience -

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband

Good luck in whatever path you choose to get healthy and feel free to ask me any questions you might have!

You are wrong by saying that most people don't do everything they are told. I went to every support group before hand, had years of therapy, did all my research but I still regained every pound plus some and got to my highest weight of 317 pounds. I collapsed both lungs having the surgery and spent 5 days in intensive care and 10 days or so in the hospital. When I got out I had a hard time keeping water down and was extremely weak. I still get sick from the smallest portions of meat or pasta. I learned to eat around it by finding foods that wouldn't make me throw up. On top of all that I wasn't a big loser. I started at 292 and only lost 70 pounds. I am almost back right now, only 25 pounds away from the weight I got to after gastric bypass. You are not that far out. I have been out since 2001. I now have barretts esophagus and chronic ulcers, hernias and had massive dental work from all the vomiting, problems which I didn't have before. Still I don't like to discourage people from getting it done because I had to lose the weight because I needed double knee replacements which I did have. My knees have been free of pain since 2003 which in itself is a blessing. My implants are 14 and 15 years old. My friend had the surgery and has kept the weight off but has ended up in the hospital numerous times for bleeding ulcers and dehydration among other problems. After gastric bypass after regaining the weight I saw a nutritionist when I was at my highest weight and got down to 220 from 317 pounds. Over the years I gained it back until I settle around 250-275. I restarted on here at 275 calorie counting in January and am down 37 pounds and am determined to make it. I don't want to discourage the OP from getting the surgery but it really is no picnic and is not the easy way out. If you can do it on your own, it would be better than getting surgery. I also should tell you my brother had it. He started at 450 pounds and lost over 200 pounds but also ruptured the staple lineafter surgery and spent a month in the hospital and also almost died. He has a zipper all the way down his chest to his umbilicus. He also has had some regain. I would tell the original poster to weigh out the pros and consequences, try and lose it on her own, research, talk to people who have succeed and those who struggled and go from there. You may also find the post of group support is severely lacking like I did. In ours both preops and postops would go and mostly they were so upbeat as not to discourage the preops from getting the surgery. You couldn't be honest.

I am sorry you had negative experiences with WLS but I am speaking what I know to be true from MY experience.