Weight loss struggle

Options
I've been doing mfp few weeks now and only lost 3 pounds. Due to back problems unable to exercise much at all. Sticking to calories but no weight loss. Done this few years ago with great success. Any advice on this please?

Replies

• narsenault
    narsenault Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is typically 1-2 pounds per week. If you have seen some loss, that's a good thing. If you can do a short walk every day (10-15 minutes), that will help out. If you have issues, you should see your doctor about what kind of exercises are recommended for your condition. Good luck with your efforts.
  • saymyname2
    saymyname2 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I've been doing mfp few weeks now and only lost 3 pounds. Due to back problems unable to exercise much at all. Sticking to calories but no weight loss. Done this few years ago with great success. Any advice on this please?

I messed up my back in the past doing some arm exercises helped me burn some unwanted cals.
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    3 pounds is not no loss. You lose weight through a calorie deficit, and most people achieve that mostly by eating less, so exercise isn't necessary.

I agree. Although there is no doubt that exercise is beneficial all around it isn't 'necessary' for weight loss.

You have lost some weight so be patient with yourself - unfortunately it doesn't all just fall off immediately, it takes time for weight to accumulate therefore you need time for it to go back down.

Best of luck :)
  • mkyoungdds
    mkyoungdds Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Do what you can comfortably exercise wise, but you can lose weight without it.

To get the most benefit out of MFP, make sure that you're logging is accurate. Are you using a food scale? Are you choosing database entries that are accurate?

You may get more helpful suggestions if you provide your stats and open your diary for others to take a peek.
  • mmolter3
    mmolter3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do water aerobics 4 days on a 1200 calorie diet to lose weight and bring down my A1C. This was recommended by my dietician. I don't want to take medication. I have lost 5 lbs in past 8 weeks. My goal is to bring down my A1C but the weight is not coming off.
    Any suggestions???
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    mmolter3 wrote: »
    I do water aerobics 4 days on a 1200 calorie diet to lose weight and bring down my A1C. This was recommended by my dietician. I don't want to take medication. I have lost 5 lbs in past 8 weeks. My goal is to bring down my A1C but the weight is not coming off.
    Any suggestions???

You should start you own thread.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions???

The weight is coming off - you just stated that you lost 5 lbs in 8 weeks. You've lost weight. You aren't going to, nor should you, lose more than 2 lbs a week, depending on how much weight you need to lose. People need to dial back their expectations. The Biggest Loser is not a realistic way to lose weight and I think everyone thinks they need to lose 10 lbs a week. You don't.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    patience and accurate logging
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    that is great weight loss. don't be too hard on yourself
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions???
    You have exactly the same issue as the OP, so the same answers should apply to you too.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions???

Make sure you are logging accurately. Log every single bite, condiment, and drink, and weigh your food. Use the most conservative estimate of your calorie burn for exercise unless you observe that you are losing more rapidly than expected. If you are doing all this, be patient and trust the process.

The way I reduced my A1c from 11 to 4.7 was by testing after every meal until I learned how many carbs of which foods I could safely eat without my blood glucose going too high. You can do the same!
  • Barry73
    Barry73 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    3 pounds is great! Better than 0. So you have lost 3 pounds in 3 weeks. That's 1 pound per week. If you kept that up, by the end of the year you would have lost 52 pounds = 3st 10lbs.
    You'd be happy with that surely?
    Remember this isn't a race. It's a lifestyle change over time and results will take care of themselves.
    You are doing great. keep going! Well done!
  • maryyoung74
    maryyoung74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to see where you are struggling at....

Although I lost 3 pounds I've put 2 pounds back on. And I've been strict with my caliries
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to see where you are struggling at....

Although I lost 3 pounds I've put 2 pounds back on. And I've been strict with my caliries

If you're not weighing all your food, start. My losses got a lot more consistent when I started doing that.