healthy solutions to hunger cravings

Options
This morning by 10 AM I was looking forward to lunch and feeling genuine hunger. BF was a bit sparse so i had a small snack. But the hunger continued so I ate lunch early at 11:10! What are some healthy, satisfying and not too calorie-dense snacks for those times you just have to have a between meal snack?

Replies

• RecognitionT
    RecognitionT Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    The best snack is having something to do.

I eat out of boredom all the time.

If I'm focused on a task I can go several hours at a time without giving food a thought.
  • laurenbastug
    laurenbastug Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    for me, I try and push breakfast till 10 am when i eat a high protein/high fat meal - it keeps me full till at least 2pm. you can try having some tea or look into consuming higher volume foods - strawberries are a personal fave.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    1. Make sure your calorie goal is appropriate and your deficit isn't too aggressive. You might be hungry because you are trying to lose weight too fast and your body needs more food to function.
    2. Make sure you are getting enough protein, fat, and fiber. One or some combo of those three things are usually the key to satiety.
    3. I find snacks that hit those three things I mentioned earlier do the trick. Like yogurt with some high fiber cereal crushed in. Or baby carrots with peanut butter. Or a Fiber One bar.
  • KrisJ125
    KrisJ125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I like your suggestion about the carrots with PB--seems as if it would be satisfying.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    KrisJ125 wrote: »
    This morning by 10 AM I was looking forward to lunch and feeling genuine hunger. BF was a bit sparse so i had a small snack. But the hunger continued so I ate lunch early at 11:10! What are some healthy, satisfying and not too calorie-dense snacks for those times you just have to have a between meal snack?

Maybe look at the calories and macros and timing of breakfast as well if you're hungry at 10am?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I find not eating on the morning is the best for me. As soon as I start eating I want to keep eating.

I have breakfast around 1-2pm.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Water first, as many times we are dehydrated and the body thinks hungry (silly body!).

Celery, cucumbers, pickles... all are very low calorie and you'll be hard pressed to find someone that got obese binging on celery >.>
  • KrisJ125
    KrisJ125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    DanaDark wrote: »
    Water first, as many times we are dehydrated and the body thinks hungry (silly body!).

Celery, cucumbers, pickles... all are very low calorie and you'll be hard pressed to find someone that got obese binging on celery >.>

Yeah, I hear you there! My early lunch was loaded with broccoli and the fiber is so nice and filling!
  • af240
    af240 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    KrisJ125 wrote: »
    I like your suggestion about the carrots with PB--seems as if it would be satisfying.

Just be mindful, it may be a healthy snack but peanut butter is high calorie AF.

If you are genuinely hungry it might not be bad to find a small snack to tie you over, but if you are just a little hungry or just feel like eating and want something to hold you off I usually go for a large cup of coffee or caffeinated tea. Gives me something to sip on and helps suppress appetite.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Also, when I am hungry between meals, I just remind myself that at that very moment, I am burning some fat. Helps keep me motivated to keep through and not go gorge on the peanut M&Ms in the break room right now... depending on the person, this could be a terribly mentality to take, but works well for me.
  • quebot
    quebot Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I get hungry late at night sometimes. When that happens, I'll make some decaffeinated tea, usually sleepytime or something similar. During the day, I just drink water and it goes away. I'm pretty busy, and that helps too.