Losing weight with an injury, is it possible?

Options
Hello All,
Up until now I have been yoyoing with my weight loss. Just recently it has become more consistent. Monday I was diagnosed with a stress fracture in my foot which has completely stalled my ability to exercise. I guess I am looking for advice on how to overcome this hurdle. I know CICO will help, but i am also looking for exercises that can be done while I am in my boot. I want to keep working on the leg that is not hurt since it is usually my weak leg and I am having to rely on it when I am on crutches. Any advice is great!

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you can lose weight sitting on the couch 24/7. Just be in a calorie deficit.
  • Pocket__Cthulhu
    Pocket__Cthulhu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    A few months back I sprained an ankle, and then made it worse by training on it. I ended up using a rowing machine at the gym. Some one else also suggested an elliptical bike with just using the handles instead of the pedals.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Exercise is mostly irrelevant when it comes to weightloss, so yes your ability to lose weight hasn't changed.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i'd focus more on preventative rehab to keep the muscles related to the injury from losing ground. agree that exercise is just one aspect of calorie deficit, but you want to think about the longer-term as well.

as in, being in a good position to resume when this setback is behind you.
  • Kclee2903
    Kclee2903 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I did some research and found some exercises that I could do in a chair. Lol believe it or not, but the act of walking on crutches at my weight seems like a major workout! I am going to just control my diet and do as much strength training as I can:)
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Check out the chair workouts on hasfit for some workouts to do while off your foot. Currently healing from torn ankle tendon and fractures and was able to do them while sitting in a folding chair
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Kclee2903 wrote: »
    Thank you all. I did some research and found some exercises that I could do in a chair. Lol believe it or not, but the act of walking on crutches at my weight seems like a major workout! I am going to just control my diet and do as much strength training as I can:)

Using crutches will definitely burn more calories than normal but you will probably find you spend more time sat down so will counter the benefit. Just make sure you don't overdo it and setback your recovery
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I lost weight when I had a pelvic stress fracture because I wasn't as hungry without the cardio. I focused on my diet and that was all it took.