It's just not fair...

km8907
km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
I want a puppy dang it, but I work full time. I live in a condo so can't install a doggy door. Anyone work and have a dog? How did you do it? How do you manage to keep your dog happy while you're at work?

x3hnghoxynpd.jpg

Replies

• rmf01261
    rmf01261 Posts: 2 Member
    Puppies are a lot of work, but they are so worth it! I work full time and have had a dog for almost 5 years now. I'm lucky right now because I live very close to work so I am able to go home at lunch and walk her and make sure she's set with food and water. I live in an apartment, so she isn't able to go in and out like she pleases, but even if that were an option I would still keep her inside while I'm not home.

Getting a puppy while working full time is possible, you just have to make sure you spend your evenings with it and make sure you give it time to go outside in the morning.

If you get one, I would suggest getting it on a Friday so you have Saturday and Sunday with it. Also, crate training was a major help for me when mine was young. She doesn't need to be in a crate now but they were definitely life savers when she was a baby and I wasn't able to go home for lunch.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    With the right dog that's been trained properly - it shouldn't be an issue.
    A spaniel puppy - a very bad idea!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    If you work and have a condo, then perhaps a small adult dog will be a better fit. Particularly if you can find one that is "puppy pad" trained. Then the dog will use the pad while you are at work, and the personality of the dog will already be established so you can find one that is a good fit. Most rescue places will temperament test and know if a dog is good as an only pet, or good with being left alone most of the day, a breed that doesn't require a ton of exercise, etc. Small dogs are still cuddly lap pets like puppies, but without all the extra time and effort that a young animal requires.
  • km8907
    geebusuk wrote: »
    With the right dog that's been trained properly - it shouldn't be an issue.
    A spaniel puppy - a very bad idea!

But they're so cuteeee
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Ours always stay in their kennel while we are at work or gone for more than a few hours.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    edited March 2018
    They are too lonely alone (or at least many breeds/dogs are; mine went nuts when I moved and changed jobs and he was alone in a new home all day; tore the carpet to shreds, really anxious, poor guy) -- you need two so they can keep each other company. Better to get one that is already potty trained if you aren't going to be around during the day. You have to be committed to doing at least 30-40 minutes of brisk walking/running and play in the morning before work and walk/play after work.

Of course many dogs are fine alone all day and some are very low energy -- this is just my experience.

ETA: I had a golden retriever mix who was fine alone during the day and never went potty inside the house while I was away, but I adopted him at about a year old, and he wasn't left alone all day until he was a bit older and had settled down a bit.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2018
    When I worked in an office, all of mine were crated as puppies. For the fist month or so, I went home at lunch and came home as early as I could after 5:00. If you have a longer commute I can see this would be an issue to go home in the middle of the day. Once they are used to the schedule they are very accommodating. I would leave a few treats, their favorite toys and leave the TV on and crate doors open once trained. The same thing applies if you go out with friends or are away from home for several hours that is not due to work.

Is that pic the puppy you want? That little guy is super cute. A calmer less energetic breed might be what you want to look for, just make sure you exercise them accordingly.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    I got both of my dogs as older rescues, so I cant really speak for the puppy stage, but I will say one of my dogs needs company pretty much 24/7. She would get terribly lonely and depressed after even just 1-2 hours of being alone, which is why I got a second dog. They do wonderfully together though, and if it's going to be a long day my dog walker will come by to give them some attention and exercise. If you really want a dog I'd absolutely recommend an older dog, my girls just need one good walk/jog a day and then they are perfectly content lounging around the house together.
  • km8907
    Why can't we just bring our pets to work?!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    I have had a dog for 12 years and work full time. He was three months old when I got him. I crate trained him as a puppy, I could go home at lunch and check on him. Once he was a little older he had more run of the house - the living room and kitchen anyway. They learn and adapt to their lifestyle. Due to an emergency, he has made it over 12 hours without having accidents. I probably stopped going home at lunch after a month or so. I don't think I could live without a dog anymore.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    km8907 wrote: »
    Why can't we just bring our pets to work?!

This should be a thing for real.
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    My son works at a great company that allows him to bring his dog to work every day. I am not sure how he gets any work done!
  • km8907
    I would love to get one too...our cat recently passed away. Unfortunately, both girls are allergic to both cats and dogs :#:'(

Not sure how to fix that one...

What about a cat for you, though? They can be pretty cool, and seem to do fine on their own quite a bit moreso than dogs imo.

That's what I'll probably do. I love cats too and my cat is 19 and lives with my parents. I think I could be allergic though.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Please don't get a puppy if you can't spend time with it. Crating one for hours a day is just sad. I have a Rescue that was crated about 10 hours a day his first 2 years. He is 14 now and still so needy for attention. Rescues are great dogs and an adult dog, or even two so they have a companion, is very workable. If they are house broken you can even leave puddle pads down and no need to crate them.
    Or you may want to consider a Rescue cat. There are always tons of them who need homes and they use litter boxes.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Doggy daycare is great for people who work long hours. A lot of dogs love it and it's great socialization.
    You could also get a dog walker to come in a couple of times a day to walk and feed a mid day meal if needed.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Also if you have a friend or neighbor who could check on puppy for the first couple of months while training and feeding mid day meal that might help. Wouldn't need to be forever.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    I want a dog so bad but my boyfriend is a jerk and won't let me have one inside and I don't want to keep the dog out all the time. I have 2 outside cats though. They were strays that I kept feeding. They are scared to come inside.