Keto diet

Arw there any tips amd stories of people that have been on this ? Is it sustainable? Is therr a general meal plan or macro split? Is there a bedding in period. Can it break a plateau and what is a safe amount to lose ? Whats a safe amount to exervise/ walk on it? Thanks in advamce and chip in witj any questions ive missed

Replies

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    Watch Jeff Nippard's video on this topic, he explains it pretty clearly https://youtube.com/watch?v=qxmVsT_ZeNs&t=623s . As for my point of view, do keto if you just enjoy eating high fats and makes you satiated....that's it. If you expect it to be the best diet for fat loss, it isn't, no diet is. You chose a diet that you enjoy and is able to help you to stick at a caloric deficit. As long as your in a caloric deficit, regardless of the diet, you will lose weight.
  • Bintzie
    Bintzie Posts: 24 Member
    Quick answers:
    There are lots of tips and stories on keto specific sites (ruled.me, ketoconnect).
    Yes, it's sustainable IF you determine it's what makes you feel the best, which I'll touch back on at the end.
    Sure, it can break a plateau and a safe amount to lose is whatever puts you at a healthy weight (this isn't a keto specific value - underweight or malnourished on any diet is bad).
    You can exercise normally but some people have low energy levels the first week(s) in which case it's ok to take it easy and listen to your body.

The best advice I can give is to RESEARCH. As keto seems to be going through a fad phase, it seems like a lot of people are trying it based on minimal info/hype or "my friend is doing it, so I'm gonna try", and they end up giving up after a week or two of feeling miserable because they didn't educate themselves enough to be successful. I fully believe it can be a great fit for some people (my husband's been on it for a couple years now and I've had success with it as well), but I also don't think it's for everyone. (There is no one-size-fits-all way of eating IMO).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Arw there any tips amd stories of people that have been on this ? Is it sustainable? Is therr a general meal plan or macro split? Is there a bedding in period. Can it break a plateau and what is a safe amount to lose ? Whats a safe amount to exervise/ walk on it? Thanks in advamce and chip in witj any questions ive missed

Lots of people are using it and it is sustainable. I have done it for most of the past few years.

The macros are set mainly in grams. Most eat under 50g of carbs. Those with insulin resistance might go lower and healthy active people might go higher. Protein is moderate, often 0.8 g per pound. Fat is the rest.

Exercise as much as you wish. People run ultra marathons on it. ;) Some experience a slight dip in energy for the first couple of weeks. If it is a large energy dip, that is probably low sodium and you need salt. It is less ideal for making fast gains for lifting, but probably not by much if you consume adequate protein.

It is a good diet for health. Some find it helpful for weight loss too. Good luck.