Keep exercising?

Options
I am new to working out. I have worked out only the past 2 days today I'm feeling sore and my legs feel a little weak. Should I push through and work out again today or take a break after just 2 days of workouts?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    What type of workout? Cardio based or weight training?
  • RainaL1987
    RainaL1987 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Day one focused on core and day two was more cardio with lots of lunges and squats. It's p90x2
  • burnhamlandscape
    burnhamlandscape Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    RainaL1987 wrote: »
    I am new to working out. I have worked out only the past 2 days today I'm feeling sore and my legs feel a little weak. Should I push through and work out again today or take a break after just 2 days of workouts?

Take the break. Look at this as a long journey that will last over years. Missing a day or two will not hurt. Feeling miserable for weeks with no breaks will make you quit. Set a goal of what day you will go next and stick to it. Nutrition is however a daily thing with small breaks meaning a meal here or there.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Take a break... You need to give your body time to heal. In no time you won't have to do this as often, but for now, listen to your body. I always walk on days I need to rest or do yoga to give my bod a good stretch.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    If you are sore, it doesn’t hurt to take a day off. Go for a nice walk tomorrow, your muscles need to recover. Fitness is a lifelong endeavor.
  • amlelas68
    amlelas68 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would take a break and listen to your body. But defintley walk on off days.
  • KC3354
    KC3354 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Get lots of water and stretch a a lot. As noted previous, consider a nice walk on your day off.
  • brig220
    brig220 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You need a day off, or work on something completely different, or more gentle like cycle, walk or swim. You don't have to work out hard every day to be fit. You just have to keep doing it your whole life :smile: . Some days can be gentle days like a 30 min walk. good for you for starting, it is great for mind and body
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

First off, what type of working out are you referring to? If you are referencing weight lifting, it would be smart to take a break and do cardio only to let the body heal.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Feeling sore is totally normal as long as you aren't in serious pain with it. P90 is some hard stuff so you should give the body time to recover. When I first did that program I walked around like a robot for a week I was so sore! Maybe drink some coconut water to hydrate. You can always take a simple walk or sit on a yoga mat going extended stretches in a Yin class on lighter days.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Workout every other day to allow your muscles to rest and repair.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

If you're new to working out, you need to ease into things...going from nothing to working out everyday is just a disaster waiting to happen. Take a day off and go for a walk.

Also, most people who exercise 6-7 days per week didn't start that way...and they also aren't balls to the wall everyday and work at various intensities and cross train. If you're lifting, you shouldn't be working the same muscles/groups of muscles on consecutive days and ideally you'd run a beginner 3x per week full body program.
  • MaggieSheridan1
    MaggieSheridan1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I usually workout 3 days then take a rest day. IF you are new to working out and your body is telling you to rest, then do so! or just do a lighter workout, like cardio on your sore days. It will get better the more often you workout!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

If you're new to working out, you need to ease into things...going from nothing to working out everyday is just a disaster waiting to happen. Take a day off and go for a walk.

Also, most people who exercise 6-7 days per week didn't start that way...and they also aren't balls to the wall everyday and work at various intensities and cross train. If you're lifting, you shouldn't be working the same muscles/groups of muscles on consecutive days and ideally you'd run a beginner 3x per week full body program.

I cannot agree more. It feels great to push yourself a little bit, but pushing yourself too hard can quickly become exhausting, not to mention run the risk of injuries. If you're doing more than you were doing last week/month/year, then you're doing a great job.