"If you're REALLY serious, you'll do XYZ"

Options
I am pretty guarded at work about my weight loss journey, but I somehow let it slip out over conversation that I have dropped 12 pounds since the New Year. The following irksome conversation followed:

Co-worker: What are you doing? Anything special?

Me: Really just counting calories.

Co-worker: Well, if you're REALLY serious, you shoud try the Duggan Diet - it's like Atkins on crack. I lost 42 pounds last year doing it. [Side commentary - no she hasn't]

Me: Uh, ok (trying to walk away)

Co-worker: (following me down the hall) It's REALLY painful the first week because you have to eliminate sugar, which is totally evil stuff. That's what makes you gain all the weight.

Me: I don't think that's really true . . .

Co-worker: Yes it is! The pain is tooottttaalllly worth it.

Me: Well, I'm not in pain, and I think I'm doing ok . . . thanks . . . (runs off to a meeting)

WHY WHY WHY do people insist on buying into misinformation and then attempt to impose it on others? But I'm just irritated with myself mostly for opening up the door to this, and I'm sure future conversations too.

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, your experience is very typical. There's a current thread titled "Nosy Coworkers". You should read that one.

Congrats on your weight loss! Since you "opened the door" you can also close it. Firmly, but politely inform whomever comments on your weight loss and diet that it is not a topic for discussion and that if you WANT advice you'll ask for it.
  • innogenchi
    innogenchi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I try to go with "different diets work for different people, and calorie counting is what has worked for me".
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    What gets me is when people who look like I used to want to give me weight loss tips. Sometimes I tell them I have given up on losing weight and half the time they don't get the joke (news flash - my BMI is in the healthy range now) and start offering encouragement along with their tips.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,659 Member
    Options
    **Sometimes I tell them I have given up on losing weight** and half the time they don't get the joke (news flash - my BMI is in the healthy range now) and start offering encouragement along with their tips.

You just made my day with that one!!!!
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think some people say things because they think what works for them, will work for EVERYBODY. It doesn’t, everyone is unique.
    Or because they did something drastic and didn’t see results and you counting calories AND had weight loss means their jealous that you dropped pounds but didn’t have eat the cabbage soup everyday! It can’t possibly be THAT easy, so they give you side eye.