Green Tea count as Water?!?

Options
Ok, so had always lost the argument that drinking Diet Soda counts as part of my 8 glasses a day. I have since freed myself of the soda obsession and have started drinking Iced Green Tea brewed by myself. Checking this topic online has given me both sides. Anyone have any concrete info to support one way or the other?

No side says tea is a diuretic
Yes side says as long as it's fluid it doesn't matter.

Thoughts?!?

Replies

• EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I count green tea as water.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Depends on if all you're looking for is hydration. Any beverage can help with that. But to get the benefits of plain water, you have to drink plain water. And lots of it. You can still drink tea. But no, it doesn't count toward your water goals.
  • poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, green tea is not water, and therefore does not count as water. If it has caffeine in it, it is a diuretic and can counteract water.

It is, however, better (again, in my opinion) than drinking diet soda or juice, etc.

It's not bad, but not as good as water. I think it can supplement your water intake, but should not replace your water intake.
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    HeelsAndBoxingGloves Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I would count it as water (as long as your brewing it yourself) since it really is basically flavored water. I use the crystal light flavors to help me drink more water and count them as water and then add the calories seperately
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Not for me. I don't even count plain carbonated water as water.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    If it is all i am drinking then i count it. I sometimes brew up some green tea and then throw it in a jug with lemon slices and chill it and i will drink it all day long and instead of water. So I count it on those days.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    If only if it's decaf green tea
  • legmotor
    legmotor Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Imho, tea is not water and therefore doesn't count toward the water goal. I love iced tea, but I know I can't count that as water, but I do log it. The crazy thing is that in the past 2 weeks I have drank tea, I haven't lost any real weight.... so you decide what is best for you.
  • jsstein19
    jsstein19 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I can understand if the argument comes from the caffeine standpoint I guess.

But if it's water and a wedge of lemon.... or water and crystal light.... is that REALLY any different?
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If it has any kind of nutritional value to it (green tea usually has sugar or sodium in it), then no. I count water as water and everything else, I log. Simple as that.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    My opinion: If it comes from powder or is already bottled, than this is soda. (Like lipton brisk, which comes in a bottle and used to come in powder).

If you brew it yourself from tea leaves, than this should count as water.

I'm also not a fan of decaf since making something decaf is a pretty unnatural process.
  • jaybee25
    jaybee25 Posts: 117
    Options
    I count it as water if you can count water with lemon or orange squeeze in it as fluid the green tea counts as well
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    If it is all i am drinking then i count it. I sometimes brew up some green tea and then throw it in a jug with lemon slices and chill it and i will drink it all day long and instead of water. So I count it on those days.

This is probably the handiest idea that I've read all day. Water has been getting really boring for me. I'm gonna do this when I get home.
  • olo567
    olo567 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Green tea can be counted as water. The diuretic effect of caffeine is extremely small for the amount present in tea. I would say don't drink 8+ cups of green tea as your water, but you can count it in your total.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5281046.stm
  • rdmchugh
    rdmchugh Posts: 76
    Options
    I buy organic loose leaf green tea and brew my own. 2 TBSP in a gallon jar filled with filtered water and set in the sun for 3-4 hours (until it looks like tea). Pour it through a sieve to remove the tea leaves. I find that dried mint leaves mixed in with the green tea really helps with those unhappy tummy days. Or 3 bags of Tazo Zen tea in the gallon jar instead.

Would that have enough caffeine to be a problem? Would that count as water?