• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What great ideas!!!!!!
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    There was a 3# cauliflower in my CSA box today; I love cauliflower, but if I eat too much at once I pay a digestive price! I think I'll make some cauliflower soup and I love it roasted with parmesan. Ideas please on what to do with a cauliflower half the size of a basketball.

Roast some, make rice with the rest, portion and freeze.

This reminds me ... you had suggested freezing cauli soup sometime before Christmas (I had reservations on its "freezability") , so I did an experiment. Forgot to report it back: yes, it did separate and clump upon thawing, looking, truthfully, awful. I remixed it thoroughly and microwaved it, and, Lo! It became nice soup again.

Like the OP on this thread, I had a beautiful, but massive head of cauli from the market, and rendered it into about 6 qts of soup with my slow cooker. Much too much to eat, even for the whole family, so I was wondering if freezing would keep it for another day.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    There was a 3# cauliflower in my CSA box today; I love cauliflower, but if I eat too much at once I pay a digestive price! I think I'll make some cauliflower soup and I love it roasted with parmesan. Ideas please on what to do with a cauliflower half the size of a basketball.

Roast some, make rice with the rest, portion and freeze.

This. Rice, portion for freezer. Wok it when you're ready to use it.
  • Foodfavor
    Foodfavor Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I cut up the cauliflower, tossing it with evoo salt and pepper, bake it, and then toss it in hot sauce and nutritional yeast. Super simple and super tasty.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Steam it, mash it, put some BBQ sauce in it, use lettuce and you have yourself a weird taco thingy.
  • Phaewryn
    Phaewryn Posts: 142 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I make "sheperd's pie" with it. I boil it until it is soft (a whole head worth, minus the bulk of the stem, cut into spears), then drain it, put it in the food processor with a tablespoon or so of salted butter, a shake or two of Kraft Parmesan, and a swig of half & half, then pulse it until creamy. I brown a pound of ground chicken with some diced onion in a nonstick pan, then I pour 3/4 a cup of water and 1 package brown gravy mix in the pan, and stir til thickened on medium-high heat. I put this in the bottom of a casserole dish, then spread out 1 can of well drained sweet corn over that, then evenly dallop the cauliflower on top and spread it evenly and shake a little extra Parmesan on top so it browns on top. Bake on a top rack at 350ish until it's lightly brown on top. It's the most guiltless "comfort food" ever made! The only fat is from the butter, half and half, and parmesan, so it's minimal, and it's pretty low carb since it's not got any potatoes like normal sheperd's pie has!

If you're not convinced, try substituting half the potatoes with cauliflower instead of using all cauliflower. It's still better than using all mashed potatoes.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions!!!!
  • TheMothership71
    TheMothership71 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I maranade in all sorts of different homemade sauces and grill it. Like wings. Ou favorite is Mediterranean style.
  • gloriadelangel
    gloriadelangel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower Mac n Cheese. Check out Pinterest that’s where I got my recipe from
  • misslibralove
    misslibralove Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love riced cauliflower mushroom risotto I make it by making riced cauliflower with the cheese grater. I then saute garlic and mushrooms with olive oil, set them aside. I add about 3-4 cups riced cauliflower, a little vegetable stock&coconut milk(about 1/2 cup each) , salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. I then Re add the mushrooms and cook until the juices boil down. It's so good and cheesy! Great leftovers

I have a head of cauliflower too I'm going to try some low carb sushi rolls using riced cauliflower. I just have to look and see if I've still got my sushi rolling mat. I'm going to stuff with maybe some cucumber, grated carrots and avocado.