The snack craving is real right now!

Options
What do you do to help with late night snacking ? Any low cal snack that save you ? How to avoid it altogether ?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I knit
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    It's hard because I get really hungry before bed. I can either go to bed starving or have a late night snack. And I'm diabetic, so that means dealing with a higher fasting blood sugar reading in the morning. I try to have something low-carb and high-protein like pistachios or peanuts, maybe a few cheese cubes. Tonight I had a mandarin orange. I'd say just keep healthy snacks on hand (I love Sargento Balanced Breaks. It doesn't look like much food but it's very satisfying), things you know you like, and if you get hungry, eat.
  • paulbrttn
    paulbrttn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Pickles/gherkins or pickled onions. 200g is around 25 calories and especially good at removing cravings for sweet things (at least for me)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I plan for it, usually save around 250 cals for that.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Have a snack that fits in to your calories.
  • LW3380
    LW3380 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Rich Tea Biscuits dunked in a cuppa...only 38 cals for one ( I normally have 2 or 3 in the evening)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Everybody gets cravings. They aren't dangerous. A craving is not the same as eating. You can decide to eat, or not eat, regardless of cravings. If you decide that you want to avoid snacking altoghether, change the attitude that you need to be "saved", and that a low cal snack can do that.
  • wsusan162
    wsusan162 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Work on a puzzle,keeps your hands occupied. A lot of Libraries have them to borrow, or the dollar store. We always have one going
  • ladyshellbelle
    ladyshellbelle Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Try to plan and save some calories for a treat, or buy an adult colouring book and enjoy :)
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I find that I am happy to miss breakfast and lunch to give myself more calories in the evening. That way, I eat a good, balanced evening meal (with ALL the veg) and have the calories left for whatever takes my fancy - in moderation (last night was two packs of French Fries crisps and two slices of wholemeal seeded toast with butter and jam. Other nights it can be berries and Greek yogurt or ice cream. Spend your calories wisely and you can afford the things you crave.
  • Biggster69
    Biggster69 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Anytime I feel like I want to snack I eat hard boiled eggs or babybel cheese. Protein helps me to get over cravings.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I usually save some calories for after dinner and eat something like a small container of applesauce, a fiber one bar, an ounce of cheese, a couple dark chocolate truffles, a small bag of popcorn.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Apple cinnamon rice cake with some cream cheese.
    Clementines
    Sliced cucumber with cream cheese
    Banana
    Eggo with peanut butter or sometimes chocolate sauce and cool whip. (Really good)
    Cup of tea with a biscotti
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

Me too.
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I make seaweed snacks out of nori. Each full sheet has 10 calories. 0 fat, 1 carb, 1 fiber and 1 protein. I do add a small bit of oil and salt before I toast them, but it’s better than a whole bag of chips...sometimes.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I plan for it as well--about 300 calories designated for after dinner, which has to include a glass of wine, beer, etc if I choose. But it can still be a struggle to keep it to the 300. Sometimes I just let myself go over by a little, and sometimes I go to bed early to avoid eating more.

If I do have something, it will be half a serving of cheese with a few crackers (under 100 cal), a couple of bites of dark chocolate (about 50 cal), carrots and hummus (50-100 cal), or a bowl of homemade vegetable soup (about 100 cal). Or sometimes just a mug of hot tea will do the trick.

Good luck! It's been a struggle for me, too, this week. I figure as long as I'm in a deficit for the week, I'm not gaining!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I like eating at night so I plan for it...

Yep!