Struggling For Will Power

Options
scredico
scredico Posts: 2 Member
I am just getting started (again) using the app to hold myself accountable, and my biggest issue is will power. The worst time of day for me is after work, watching tv, and wanting to snack non stop, or have a glass of wine. I have anxiety too and I find it hard to stay focused, and not stress eat. I think getting in a routine will help me, also I have poor self control so I know to be successful I need to cut certain foods/drink out completely. I’m not extremely overweight, but I am at least 20lbs away from where I should be. I have been asked on more than one occasion if I was pregnant (ouch), and that made me feel terrible! I want to be comfortable with my body again, and am looking forward to giving this another shot! Any advice on will power and motivation are welcomed

Replies

• Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    oh yes - after work. I am the same - just under 20lb left to lose - not grossly overweight but bigger than I want to be. I log my snacks prior to eating them then don't touch anything else. If I think I'm going to go over or eat something I shouldn't I try to put myself to bed - not much help but that's worked so far. I just hope I don't lose momentum.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately no one can motivate you more then you. I dont have anxiety issues, but I do know about the evening wanting to cram about anything down my face. Last Thursday i started back to logging everything I eat and it helps to see how many calories I have eaten and have left. not to mention as my fitbit adds exercise calories it gives me some eat back calories.

I also just joined a stepbet challenge again and if you dont want to lose your buy in pot money, you best get to stepping. :p Another motivator

I also notice that when i go back to the gym regularly and workout I can mentally tell myself to not eat crappy at night. Why kill it at the gym to defeat myself in the fridge at night. Just my opinion
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Save calories for night time snacking.

Keep busy - go tidy up your knicker drawer or something LOL...or do a workout.

Willpower will come and go but lasting better habits can be formed if you practise sticking to your calorie goals.
  • mwalle09
    mwalle09 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Will power is tough but when I have been able to be successful with this it is always like when I give myself a purpose. Avoiding times to sit in front of the tv or if I am sitting and watching something, doing something while I watch so I do not think about snacking or having a beer or whatever.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Read Habit by Duhigg. You have an after work habit that is taking care of a need right now. Disrupt the habit while taking care of the need and the struggle will be over.

I suspect you need a relaxing reward for after work. I have a few ideas.

1. Have your dinner pre planned and ready to go. Have your salad made in the morning. Maybe have a slow cooker going.
    2. Have a small snack just before you leave work so you are not ragingly hungry.
    3. Stop off at the gym for a quick 20 minute workout and finish with a hot steamy shower. Alternatively get off the bus twenty minutes from home and get your walk in.
    4. Serve yourself a hot chamomile tea for your evening couch time.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Sparkling water in a wine glass feels like a treat.
    Take a walk.
    Garden
    Clean
  • zenartist24
    zenartist24 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I 100% relate to your original post! I am also about 20 lbs overweight and anxiety and after work eating are the biggest culprits. I can eat really well breakfast and lunch but as soon as I get home i get into binge on snacks mode and by the time I look up, I realize I've eaten WAY too much! I agree that pre-logging meals might work and incorporating treats like wine.

Another idea is to pre-pack/pre-prep healthy snacks that are portion controlled for when you get home. For example, have cut up apple slices ready with pre-measured peanut butter. Or have low calorie popcorn portioned out in bags. One thing I want to do now that the weather should be getting better is planning outdoor running (and walking on off days) immediately after work.

Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My main meals are pretty healthy and not super calorie dense, so to maintain my weight I rely on afternoon/evening snacking and grazing. It's habitual and not a big deal in maintenance...but when I get serious about cutting my 8-10 Lbs of winter weight, that's the first thing to go given that I don't log.

It's hard for about a week or so and then it's not really too big of a deal. I usually get serious about it right around the beginning of April...which is also right around the time weeds start popping up everywhere, so I often busy myself in the evenings with weed pulling after my ride rather than sitting down to a cold beer and some snacks.
  • jessicarose22492
    jessicarose22492 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Great idea with the tea. Having something tasty to keep your mouth occupied is smart - I might use that!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Great idea with the tea. Having something tasty to keep your mouth occupied is smart - I might use that!

Another possibility is a new evening hobby, especially one that requires clean hands, or creates dirty ones: Knitting, sketching, learning to play a musical instrument, embroidery, home improvement projects, gardening, carpentry, stained glass making, whatever. Get absorbed in something.

Think of some things to relax and soothe yourself that aren't food: Aromatherapy bubble bath, yoga, nature walk, listen to music, meditate, read an inspiring book.

Willpower is over-rated. Change your habits.

Best wishes. :)