Have to do it!

Options
Hi everyone,
I started my 100th (at least!) diet on Tuesday after plucking up the courage to weigh myself. So far so good but only 2 days in. I need to start to exercise as well but have rheumatoid arthritis which limits what I can do. Any tips would be very welcome.

Replies

• sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Look at it as a lifestyle change this is not a diet. Exercise while helpful is not required best to ask your doctor which would be safest for you to do. Look at the small goals not the large you can lose 5 lbs but 100 or 50 or 20 lbs might look too scary to wrap your head around. Never be afraid of the scale it does not define you in any way.
  • yvette1910
    yvette1910 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much. Yes, I need to change my mindset, you're right.
    I'm not on a diet, I eat healthily - thanks, feel more positive already. :)
  • margaret2908
    margaret2908 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey Yvette! I am in a similar position of you. I stepped on the scale 3 days ago and it read 241 lbs. I am 6' tall. A healthy weight for me is between 170-180. I also have arthritis. Was diagnosed with Stills Disease when I was 20 (basically it is periodic flair ups of arthritis in every joint in my body). Although I haven't had a full body flair up in years, the arthritis in my knees is constant and a killer. BUT I have to tell you. Yesterday I started exercising. My favourite workout video deals with LOW IMPACT cardio/aerobic. I have been filling Debbie sebers series on and off for years called "slim in 6". It is very nice on your joints because it is low impact and she always has modified moves for joint pain or muscle pain and builds you up slowly. She gets your heart rate up, helps you sweat and build strength. And please know with working out and building your strength and losing weight it actually helps relieve joint pain in itself. Also try to eliminate or cut back on inflamitory foods like wheat, dairy, red meat and alcohol. It will make a huge difference if your pain relief. (As soon as I have a beer I feel it instantly in my knees, it's kind of crazy). Hope thst helps! Please add Me as a friend if you would Like!
  • yvette1910
    yvette1910 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this advice. I'll definitely seek out the video you mention. I don't eat red meat but I do love my alcohol! >:)
    New to this site today- how do I add you as a friend? :#