"Healthier," unique recipes for cocktails/bar orders

FranksSandwich
FranksSandwich Posts: 22 Member
I don't drink diet soda so the whole diet coke & rum doesn't work for me, and I get really tired of a vodka soda as I actually care about enjoying a cocktail... not just getting drunk.

Anyway, what's some of your favorites?

Replies

• InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Coke zero and rum...

Hey, it's not technically "diet" soda.
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    edited March 2018
    Water with a Crystal Light packet and vodka.

ETA: whoops, you're tired of vodka. That's all I got!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Mix liquor of choice with a low-cal infused or muddled water or sparkling water (e.g., cucumber, ginger, various herbs) -- of course, you're going to have to go to good bars that have such things, as they're generally house-made, I think.

Mix liquor of choice with diluted fruit juice (fruit juice + water or sparkling water) of choice.

Bloody Marys. If you can't afford the cals in tomato juice, you can't afford the cals in vodka.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 941 Member
    edited March 2018
    Just a shot of Cuban rum on the rocks!! :)

If you are American & have never been to Cuba you don't know what your missing...lol
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    I like whiskey based cocktails. Boulevardiers, old fashioneds, and manhattans. Maybe a sazerac every now and then if I go to a place that knows how to make them.

Calories are fairly easy to control because they're straight liquor. Even the ones that have some added sugar are fine since the amount used is pretty minuscule.
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Cranberry juice + soda + rye is my favorite
  • kaitlynncolbourne
    kaitlynncolbourne Posts: 16 Member
    I love to drink a vodka watrr with a splash of bar lime ( usually a sweet lime juice but some bars dont have it and put acual lime juice in it and its just not the same ) but itss so good ! And keeps you hydrated ehile you drink too ! Always my go to, even when im not watching calories
  • kaitlynncolbourne
    kaitlynncolbourne Posts: 16 Member
    Also whisky and pickle juice ! If youve never tried it but like pickles, its worth trying it !
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Also whisky and pickle juice ! If youve never tried it but like pickles, its worth trying it !

It's called a pickle-back if you want to order it in a bar. I really like it, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's not something everybody is going to enjoy.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,126 Member
    ~70 grams (~2.5 fl oz; just a bit less that two shots) Hendrick's gin
    ~22 grams (~0.8 fl oz; about 2/3 of a shot) Dolin (or Noily Prat) dry vermouth
    Pour over five or six cubes of very cold ice in a steel cocktail shaker
    SWIRL the cocktail shaker until quite cold (if you shake it, you will create little ice chips that detract from your enjoyment).
    Strain into a chilled martini glass to which you have already added two large drained olives

Sip slowly. Don't have a second one. I've heard said of martinis that one is nice, two is too much, and three is not enough :)

210 calories, mostly from the gin as it's essentially a double.

Hendrick's gin is made with rose petals and cucumbers. Some like to use a cucumber slice as a garnish instead of the olives.
  • OliverRaningerVegan
    OliverRaningerVegan Posts: 349 Member
    smoothies
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited April 2018

It's called a pickle-back if you want to order it in a bar. I really like it, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's not something everybody is going to enjoy.

More people seem to like pickle backs than I think would like pickle backs. I like them. I also like to use pickle juice to chase vodka.
  • broomjoanna2
    broomjoanna2 Posts: 3 Member
    Moscow mule - low cal version of a margarita - ginger beer lime juice tequila
  • xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    Bloody marys are my fave but they are quite filling; or any good whisky on the rocks, vodka with a bit of water, ice and fresh lime... Personally I like whisky with iced black tea, though this is harder to find (nicer bars). We usually have a big jug of black tea in the fridge in advance of any house party/event we're throwing.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    JennJ323 wrote: »
    You said you're tired of vodka soda, but what about a flavored vodka and soda? There's SO many flavor options these days. One of my favorites is whipped cream vodka and soda with a lime squeezed in, tastes like key lime pie :) I'm not sure about the calorie difference (if there's any?) between plain vodka and flavored.

I have to try this!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    I love a dry vodka martini. 125 calories (that with a modest pour). Good for sipping AND it comes with a snack!

Sweet tea vodka with club soda and lemon or unsweetened iced tea.
  • anna32aries
    anna32aries Posts: 52 Member
    You said you're tired of vodka soda, but what about a flavored vodka and soda? There's SO many flavor options these days. One of my favorites is whipped cream vodka and soda with a lime squeezed in, tastes like key lime pie :) I'm not sure about the calorie difference (if there's any?) between plain vodka and flavored.

Sounds good! I had raspberry vodka, soda and a splash of Welch’s grape juice ... this will be my summer sipper for sure!

• EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member

I have to try this!

@JennJ323 - I just wanted to report back that I tried a version of your key lime pie drink - delicious! I mixed sprite zero with cake vodka and a splash of lime juice. Will definitely be one of my new go-to drinks!