Time Of Day For Exercise?

Options
What do you find works best for you, and why? I generally walk for 1/2 hour at lunch time, but not sure I'm going to keep it up. It is nice to not have to worry about it after work, but I don't get the break I need during the day.

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    i wake up early to go to the gym i like the quiet and my workouts suffer when alot of people are around. Then its done and out od the way and my day starts off well, no worries about when ill fit it in later
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It depends on the season. In the summer I cycle in the morning before work to beat the heat and usually walk my dog in the evening...nothing major, like 20 minutes or so. In Spring and Fall I walk my dog in the AM and cycle in the afternoon/evening typically. My exercise is more hit or miss in the winter when I'm stuck indoors more.

I lift on Tuesday and Friday evening after work, and usually on Sunday AM though that one kind of depends on what we have going on.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    i wake up early to go to the gym i like the quiet and my workouts suffer when alot of people are around. Then its done and out od the way and my day starts off well, no worries about when ill fit it in later

Yep, this is my answer. I don't go to the gym anymore, I work out at home, but I get up and get after it first thing in the AM then have the rest of my day free knowing I got my work in. If I work out in the evening I'll be up for hours and never get to sleep.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    6am for me, I have zero energy after work.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    whenever can get there. morning is best for me...but
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Sometimes first thing in the morning sometimes in the evening sometimes in the middle of the day. I prefer morning as I usually have more energy and it keeps my energy up all day long. I only work 3 days a week so the 4 days I'm off I really can pick and choose when to work out. I have noticed if I work out within an hour of waking I don't nap. If I wait I tend to nap late morning or early afternoon.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Whenever you’re most likely to do it is definitely the only right answer. I’m a first thing in the AM person - I go to bed and wake us early just so I have that time to myself, so I don’t have any distractions or excuses not to do it. I’ve also found that I get a great energy boost from working out first thing. I mainly exercise in my basement or run around my neighborhood, so it’s all very convenient. I think a big key to willpower is making it as easy as possible to do whatever you’re trying to do.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning. I run in an area with a lot of wildlife--particularly coyotes and bobcats--so I don't feel comfortable running in the dark. Also in the summer, it's coolest just after dawn.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Whenever I can fit it in. I seem to benefit regardless of when I exercise. If it's after work before dinner, I sleep better. If I do it in the morning, I'm energized for the rest of the day.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I get up early and head to the gym before work as well.

#1, I know I'll get my workout in, there's not a full day's worth of excuses to keep me out LOL
    #2, the gym is emptier and I'm less likely to have to wait for equipment
    #3, I just feel more accomplished throughout the day.
    #4, at the end of the day, I can just go home, cook my dinner, and relax. Guilt free.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Except for avoiding the time directly before bedtime it really doesn't matter
  • jwilk241
    jwilk241 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I would love to workout in the morning, but I wake up at 5:30 with barely enough time to get dressed and put on minimal makeup so working out in the morning would mean I'd have to get up at like 4am. Not happening. So I workout as soon as I get home (between 4 and 4:30).
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I love getting up at 4:30 AM and hitting the streets. It feels like I am watching the city wake up. When the sun breaks through it gets my day going. Once exercise is done I don't have to worry about it the rest of the day.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Evening workout for me, I am not a morning person. For me, deciding to get up early to exercise = accepting that I'm not going to exercise. :)
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I prefer late afternoon after work, but sometimes I get out early to walk the dog a mile or so b4 work. Studies say early morning is best, but I say do it when it feels best for you, cuz then you will do it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Morning workout gal here :smiley: if I didn't workout then, chances are I wouldn't get round to it!
  • MaggieSheridan1
    MaggieSheridan1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Im an after work gym person (4:30/5pm). I used to workout in the mornings (6am) and found I was depleted and exhausted all throughout the day (and wanted to eat more). I do lift primarily, so not sure if lifting vs cardio makes a difference.
  • Spencerport
    Spencerport Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I workout in the evenings. I have to be at work at 6:30am, and I already get up at 5:30am to get ready for work. No way I am getting up any earlier!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I get up early and head to the gym before work as well.

#1, I know I'll get my workout in, there's not a full day's worth of excuses to keep me out LOL
    #2, the gym is emptier and I'm less likely to have to wait for equipment
    #3, I just feel more accomplished throughout the day.
    #4, at the end of the day, I can just go home, cook my dinner, and relax. Guilt free.

So what time are you getting to the gym?
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I already wake up at 5 am for work, so I hate to get up any earlier to exercise. Otherwise, I think morning would be best. I usually walk early on Saturday mornings in the Summer before it gets too warm, though.