What are your worst triggers?

Options
2»

Replies

• rrxxxnnee
    rrxxxnnee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    * when I start playing xbox I feel like I have to munch on something. I was 165lb and I gained 50lb because I did nothing but play Xbox and order pizza. I got married and started a family and now I’ve lost 20lb. I still play a lot of Xbox and the craving doesn’t fail to appear lol. But I’ve gotten waaay better at suppressing it by drinking a lot of water or eating a peach..
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Boredom and my period.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    rrxxxnnee wrote: »
    * when I start playing xbox I feel like I have to munch on something. I was 165lb and I gained 50lb because I did nothing but play Xbox and order pizza. I got married and started a family and now I’ve lost 20lb. I still play a lot of Xbox and the craving doesn’t fail to appear lol. But I’ve gotten waaay better at suppressing it by drinking a lot of water or eating a peach..

Oddly, I'm the exact opposite. When I play games I don't want food anywhere near my gaming gear. I don't know if it would work for you, but do you think if you buy high-end controllers/headset...etc you'll be reluctant to touch them with greasy hands or have crumbs on them?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    i dont really have any stress eating but i do eat alot late night- iv actually found adding alot of green veggies helped kill that im amazed lol. BUT if i have icecream or cookies or anything around i eat it, eat it all, until its gone no matter how much there is (seriously) Once i start i dont stop. So i have to keep those foods out of my house and buy small portions while out or whatever. I stick to eating late in the day and eating veggies/frozen fruit for snacking on late night that way its kind of hard to overdo.

I found out its easier to keep active and prioritize things i eat daily like spinach, brussel sprouts, broccoli, green/yellow beans, carrots and tuna and frozen mixed fruits help. I know im in trouble when i start trying to convince myself i dont need the spinach calories i can use those calories on -whatever- instead. Slippery slope :p i gota just eat them and then i feel fine.

edit: also coffee helps all xD
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Wonky sleep.
    Stress.
    Boredom/lonely.
    Just generally feeling bad about myself.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    Boredom and alcohol fo sho
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't have any food triggers, unless you count hunger pangs. Eating has never been a coping mechanism for me. Instead, when I'm stressed, I tend to shut down, procrastinate and take naps. I don't get fat this way, but I don't get anything done, either... :s
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Definitely alcohol. It's like a domino effect - buzzed, stay up later, munchies, poor judgment, overeating etc.
    Also, buffets. Seeing all that food makes me hungrier and more difficult to stop eating.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Yep, stress here too. End of day is the worst - mornings aren't as bad.
  • jennrissa
    jennrissa Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Stress. Mostly from my mother and also trying to get a job. The last 5 days I've been stress eating to hell because my mom has been picking fights (calling the cops on a neighbor and firing her home health aide).
  • deason91
    deason91 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Alcohol and sleepiness. Also, working at a computer. I love crunching on something while I'm typing.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Same as many others here, apparently.

Sleepiness
    Stress
    Alcohol
    Boredom

One I haven't seen mentioned is "lack of structure." I do great on days I work, because I plan my meals and eat at certain times (breaks). Weekends or vacations, though? Look out!
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Emotions and stress.
  • Frogprincess85
    Frogprincess85 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I'm angry I always feel like something sweet will make me happy again. Or mostly when I'm hungry! I eat the first salty starchy thing like fishy crackers!
    I try to keep these things out of the house, or else I drink tea. A warm drink often makes me happy.
  • ballison2012
    ballison2012 Posts: 10 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Not a horrible problem to have but my boyfriend is a huge trigger. He is underweight (6ft, 130 lbs) and has been trying to gain weight. He keeps asking if we can go out to eat, and encourages cheat days. When I told him I finally fit into a size 16 he said we should celebrate and brought me a chicken and waffle poboy with sweet potato fries.

It's not malicous at all, he just really enjoys food and wants us to eat great food together. He is super supportive he just doesn't really understand calorie counting. I now try to eat light breakfasts around him so i won't go over calorie goals during the day. I've also started avoiding visiting his family on sundays because they cook HUGE meals and I binge eat every time.
  • Hopeful2BHere
    Hopeful2BHere Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Stress.
    Sitting down and preparing my budget adds to this and I feel like I want and deserve to treat myself.
    And watching cooking shows.
  • Birder165
    Birder165 Posts: 484 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Boredom and reading food posts on MFP. I get too many ideas and my mouth starts watering. lol
    Also having highly palatable foods (mostly sweet treats like ice cream, cookies, cake etc.) in the house gets me in trouble.
    I can have dark chocolate in the house and be able to moderate but never milk chocolate.
    Rice is another problem. I've learned to only make as much as we'll eat in one sitting.
  • LittleAllison89
    LittleAllison89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My biggest trigger is knowing the people I’m spending time with are going to enjoy food and drinks the way I love to do. I have extreme FOMO—Fear of Missing Out! If I make a healthy choice out to eat I’m usually totally satisfied, but I tend to make poor choices (at least for someone who is trying to lose 30 lbs) right from the start because I love to enjoy delicious, decadent food; that’s what going out to restaurants is about for me. I’m working on breaking out of this mindset and simply accepting time out to dinner, or at a party, or a work function, is not about consuming food and drinks but spending quality time with others.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, sometimes it's logging. Like here's your allowence, spend it wisely. I spend money on 'practical things' I don't really want, trying to be good. Then sometimes it makes me say screw it and then I go on a spending spree of all things 'sparkly'. :blush: