Canadian Girl Off of WeightWatchers - back to MFP!

Options
After 4 months on Weight Watchers, and down about 8 lbs, I feel pretty good - but I get pretty depressed having to weigh in every week & sometimes it doesn't go in your favour.
I decided to get back to MFP as it does exactly the same thing - track your food, but without the shame & humiliation of the weekly weigh ins. AND the MFP food data base is so much better and varied than WW. There is so much more Canadian food to choose from MFP, I had forgotten what a great database there is. AND it's free, hands down, best part.
So, I'm happy to be back here & thought I might reach out to others who have had the same experience, or were thinking about WW.

Replies

• sunrize_sc
    sunrize_sc Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! I have done WW several times through the years and I agree this is so much easier!
  • coltonsmumma
    coltonsmumma Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I really (like REEEALLLLLY) prefer MFP over WW. Not only is it free, but it really is the same, only easier to understand! I hated that new plan on WW, it was horrid!
  • cvaneaton
    cvaneaton Posts: 154
    Options
    Welcome back. Hoe that you enjoy it as much as I do. Please feel free to add me as a friend. :flowerforyou:
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I tried weight watchers for a month and MFP is sooooo much better. 1) It's free, 2) the community on here kicks butt! 3)Isn't as complicated...I hated remembering points. 4) The database even has lebanese and other foreign foods. it totally rocks.
  • mandapanda777
    Options
    Same here. Four months on weight watchers I lost about 2kg, although I must admit I wasn't as motivated as the first time I tried WW. I don't think the new propoints plan works half as well as the old plan as it is much too lenient so I thought I may as well save my pennies and try something else. Sitting on the bus yesterday chatting to a woman who says she is using MFP and thinks it's wonderful, and it's free! Watch this space.
  • beth736
    beth736 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i did WW for 4 months i only lost 10 lbs. i wasnt happy with WW so i started mfp and down almost 30 much happier now
  • sesecat
    sesecat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yay! Welcome back! I too am an ex-weight watchers. I totally prefer this site as you can watch all the details, not just points. I found myself cheating too much on WW, by savings points for heavy desserts, rather than making well rounded healthy choices.

And the free thing, yeah, the best part. :-)
  • SACox65
    SACox65 Posts: 6
    Options
    I feel the same as you ladies! I lost 12 pounds in 5 months on WW and then BAM - hit a wall that there was no going around. I've been using MFP for 2 months on the 13th and I'm down 17 pounds. MFP is easy to use and understand and let's face it, FREE is always better! I always struggled with paying someone (a stranger) to read the scale to me... hello, I can do that myself!

Welcome back to MFP - I wish you the best of luck and lots of success!
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! I have been doing German Weight Watchers on and off for the past few years. It worked well for me when I was actually counting points but that got harder and harder for me, and now I think it just makes more sense for me to count calories and have an eye on my carb/sugar intake as well (I was just diagnosed with insulin resistance).

While MFP is much better in terms of website and community, WW Germany was actually easier when it came to the database simply because MFP's database doesn't have that many German products and because we use different measurement units (cups drive me nuts!). But usually, I can find an entry for a product that uses grams so I'll get used to it. I have only been with MFP for 5 days but right now I'm pretty positive I'll cancel my WW subscription at the end of the month.

I'd love to add you!
  • slimmer189
    slimmer189 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Welcome
  • slimmerchick
    slimmerchick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I did Weight Watchers last year and lost 32lbs in 4 months! I got to goal in November and carried on for a bit but as I'd cancelled my membership when I reached goal I lost access to the database of food.

In January I found MFP and agree that it's FAB!

Last year I needed the discipline (and the cost) of being weighed each week - there was just one week that I gained, I was always really worried about weigh in. However this did keep me on the straight and narrow! I try to log often on here but every so often I have a few days or a few weeks off!

So for me I needed the rigidity and accountability that WW gave me at the time. But now I know about MFP I doubt I'll ever go back - hopefully I won't ever need to as the food diary on here is terrific!

Edited to add - I also didn't get on with ProPoints - what a faff - calorie counting is far easier :-)
  • michelle9999
    michelle9999 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am also a Canadian girl off WW.. lol.. but this is the first time on MFP. So far it is great - I love that I can access everything on my BB, free is awesome, and it has been easier for me so far.
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I used to go to WW, did very well and lost 30 lbs.... and really got tired of figuring out points for everything I ate (even with the little calculator). So I eventually gained all 30 lbs. back. I am so happy that a family member recommended MFP to me because I love it! for me, it is so much easier to count calories. The MFP website is almost exactly like WW online, which cost a fortune to join and I love all the friends here and the motivation I've received. I am learning how to change my eating habits and not worried all the time about how many points something has. The tools here are great...... the people are great..... I am happily losing weight again!

So congrats to you for coming back to MFP! Good luck on your journey! We're all in this together!
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i have been a weightwatcher member in the past and even got to goal once.Problem was it didnt last because i had to go there to weigh in this is definetly MUCH MUCH better.and its FREE .Wish it had been around when i was younger all you younger people are so lucky but i am spreading the word to all my friends.
  • DivaDeva
    Options
    I too was a past WW advocate, but do find MFP much easier to work with; I have gotten side tracked the last few months, but started back in today with MFP and glad to be back! Say, can I use your ICON for exercise with the multicolors, I love it!