Post your Good Lighting / Bad Lighting photos

Options
I thought it might be useful to start a thread to show just how different our success stories come across depending on the lighting.

I was motivated by so many of the amazing stories here, but sometimes I also got really disheartened - when you catch yourself in bad lighting you can think you're a million miles away from where you want to be, especially since we tend only to see each other's successes in our very best photos. So I thought I'd put my vanity aside and show you what I look like at my "best" and at my "worst" - I've lost a little over 3 stone and I'm really happy with my progress, but of course I'm still frustrated that I don't always look perfect. I suppose in my mind I thought when I reached a point when I could see my six pack (in the right lighting) I'd basically look amazing 100% of the time. Anyway, I hope it's of some inspiration to people to see that even those of us who have achieved our "successes" look better or worse according to lighting/mirror etc - it doesn't mean we look "bad", it just means that everyone's body, no matter how perfect, looks a bit funny from time to time... so if you catch yourself in bad lighting and you're feeling disheartened, remember you're probably a lot closer to your goals than you think! :smile:

So, without further ado:

grh6igkjvzqk.png

Ripped!

And...

9b3jask2drtv.png

Taken 24 hours apart.

This is also a good reference for women (I haven't found an equivalent for men):

http://www.health.com/fitness/body-positive-before-and-after-photos

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @kpcwkpcwkpcw Awesome post and thread idea! You look great!

I haven't taken a photo in lighting I'm happy with sharing, but I really must! Thanks for the idea.
  • rnedwbt
    rnedwbt Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Taken 24 hours apart.

This is also a good reference for women (I haven't found an equivalent for men):

Im obsessed with this article! Everyone should see these photos. Thank you!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    rls1321 wrote: »

Taken 24 hours apart.

Im obsessed with this article! Everyone should see these photos. Thank you!

That article is great! As are your photos. Thanks!
  • kpcwkpcwkpcw
    kpcwkpcwkpcw Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey - missed the replies here... glad the post was useful :)
  • Orphia
    Options
    This thread deserves bumping, plus a repost of the awesome article of "before and after photos" taken the same day:

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I had one of those days a while back. Standing in the bathroom I saw a hint of a four pack. Different lighting...nope.

I can see it in both pics. <3
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I had one of those days a while back. Standing in the bathroom I saw a hint of a four pack. Different lighting...nope.

I can see it in both pics. <3

Same. The shadows in the one pic just make them "pop."
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    i'll never forget a friend who was on match.com ...she met a guy for coffee..and he didn't look anything like his photo, she was shocked and put out.
    She went home.. looked at her own photo and realized it made her look better than she did in real life..and she reposted one that was realistic..so she wouldn't shock a potential date the same way she was.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    mmmm you look the same.. you're just sticking your stomach out in the second..and maybe in need of a spray tan. ha. :) So,...here here to flattering lighting and good posture.
    I thought it might be useful to start a thread to show just how different our success stories come across depending on the lighting.

I was motivated by so many of the amazing stories here, but sometimes I also got really disheartened - when you catch yourself in bad lighting you can think you're a million miles away from where you want to be, especially since we tend only to see each other's successes in our very best photos. So I thought I'd put my vanity aside and show you what I look like at my "best" and at my "worst" - I've lost a little over 3 stone and I'm really happy with my progress, but of course I'm still frustrated that I don't always look perfect. I suppose in my mind I thought when I reached a point when I could see my six pack (in the right lighting) I'd basically look amazing 100% of the time. Anyway, I hope it's of some inspiration to people to see that even those of us who have achieved our "successes" look better or worse according to lighting/mirror etc - it doesn't mean we look "bad", it just means that everyone's body, no matter how perfect, looks a bit funny from time to time... so if you catch yourself in bad lighting and you're feeling disheartened, remember you're probably a lot closer to your goals than you think! :smile:

So, without further ado:

grh6igkjvzqk.png

Ripped!

And...

9b3jask2drtv.png

Taken 24 hours apart.

• Orphia
    Options
    rkmomm wrote: »
    Thank you for posting. This made me cry. I'm really hard on myself - I get so frustrated and disheartened. I work so hard and can't get my 53-year-old-post-twins-diastasis-recti belly to flatten, despite all of my hard work and dedication. Instead I should focus on what I have achieved! (sorry for making this about me.) :o

@rkmomm I clicked "hug" and am tagging so you know you got at least one more.

Sincere respect for admitting how this made you feel, and realising how hard you can be on yourself. Give yourself a hug. :heart:
  • Matt151288mfp
    Matt151288mfp Posts: 37 Member
    Options

So, without further ado:

grh6igkjvzqk.png

Ripped!

And...

9b3jask2drtv.png

Taken 24 hours apart.

Don’t worry about all that mate keep doing what your doing and if your seen improvements your on the right track bud regardless of lighting!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    In one set of pictures, it says there's 30 seconds between the two shots, but her hair is wet in one, dry in the other, and she's in a different room wearing different clothes. Seems fishy to me.
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    rkmomm wrote: »
    Thank you for posting. This made me cry. I'm really hard on myself - I get so frustrated and disheartened. I work so hard and can't get my 53-year-old-post-twins-diastasis-recti belly to flatten, despite all of my hard work and dedication. Instead I should focus on what I have achieved! (sorry for making this about me.) :o

@rkmomm I clicked "hug" and am tagging so you know you got at least one more.

Sincere respect for admitting how this made you feel, and realising how hard you can be on yourself. Give yourself a hug. :heart:

Awww, thanks @Orphia ! I know this is a few weeks old, but I'm just seeing this now. :smile: I appreciate your comment!
  • nettiklive
    nettiklive Posts: 206 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Today was an epic example of good lighting/bad lighting. These two photos are literally 30min apart. It's amazing what shadows and posing can do for you.

rr6xxy6lk3bu.jpg

damn! see, this *kitten* makes it really hard for me to be objective. I'm trying to not worry about scale weight as much as body composition and judge based on progress pics but it's like all of them are so different day to day - even in the same mirror, just slightly different pose, angle, or time of day, that every single picture looks completely different and I have no idea which one is the 'right' one so to speak - the good ones or the bad ones? lol

Also I've been taking all of mine in the flattering indoors light and I'm terrified of beach pictures when we go on vacation in two months! It seems like the full-on sun really does no favors for physique :neutral:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!