Calories burned counter - Insanity Workout

Options
k7n2w3
k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
I was wondering if there are any accurate calorie counters out there. I do the Insanity workout (love it) and want to know how many calories that I'm really burning. Of course the ad says up to 800 or 1000 per workout and of course when recorded as aerobics less is recorded. Is there a way to accurately see how many are being burned? Also, anyone doing insanity... what activity do you normally record it as?

Replies

• zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    get a hrm, each burns diffrent calories depending on how intense you wk-out
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Depends on your age, gender, weight, V02 Max (fitness level), average Heart Rate # reps of each, # of breaks etc. I would assume you would burn between 400 and 900 depending on all the above variables. The best way to know is get a HRM this will give you a pretty accurate estimate of calories burned
  • ywolfie
    ywolfie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Def get a heart rate monitor (HRM). They sell them at Academy and other sports stores. Thats the most effective way. In the meantime however, I was using the "Tae Bo" under exercise. For me, my workout is about 892 calroies per hour or approx 600 per 40 minutes.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    It definitely depends on the person. A friend of mine did it, and she said she never burned more than 450 calories in one session. I'd suggest a HRM to get your unique burn.
  • k7n2w3
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!!! I have seen a lot of heart rate monitors and bought one the other day. It is going back to the store because doesn't even consider my weight. 36 pounds ago I burned A LOT more than I do now so I know it will definitely not be accurate. Is there a particular heart rate monitor that anyone finds to be very accurate?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!!! I have seen a lot of heart rate monitors and bought one the other day. It is going back to the store because doesn't even consider my weight. 36 pounds ago I burned A LOT more than I do now so I know it will definitely not be accurate. Is there a particular heart rate monitor that anyone finds to be very accurate?

No heart rate monitor is going to be accurate because there is no way to accurately measure calories.. you can only get more accurate estimations of calories burned.

The most recommended brand around here is Polar.. I have the FT7 and I love it. Easy to use/set up and costs around 80 dollars. The other popular one is the Polar FT4 which is around 60.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM and I average about 10-11 cals per minute...so a 50 minute workout = 500 cals
  • irefusetoquit
    Options
    I've been through my share of HR monitors over the years. I have a Polar FT4 and love it because it does exactly what I need it to.
    - monitors hr
    - shows cal burn per workout
    - shows min HR, avg HR, max HR

The HR monitor is like wearing sneakers when working out. You gotta do it - no matter what program you're using.

Best part is this: whatever calories burned in your workout, you can track that here on myfitnesspal. Depending on how hard you workout will affect your cal burn, and your heartrate.

Calories eaten - calories burned exercising = total for day.

Hope that helps.
  • pjenkinsabq
    pjenkinsabq Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use the a Garmin FR60 and it works well, HR/Cals burned/Time - I have been doing the insanity workouts for awhile and I only bured 400-500 when I started but I can burn over 900 now, you just get better and go longer and harder. Being able to put your age, height and weight is important, it affects the Cals burned.
  • alexblem
    Options
    I enter it in manually, i usually low-ball around 300
  • k7n2w3
    Options
    Do these Polar ones take into consideration your weight? I know that is very important and want to make sure I get an accurate calories burned figure of course.
  • blancai88
    Options
    I too have a Polar HRM , In pink of course :) Love it !!! You enter your age, weight, height and gender. It was a good investment.