Whipple procedure

Options
morgan30fla
morgan30fla Posts: 16 Member
edited March 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello there world. Im looking to find people who know about or have had a whipple procedure. Any ideas on diets meals or anything to help keep weight on.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @morgan30fla I moved this to general help in hopes you get more responses
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Hello there world. Im looking to find people who know about or have had a whipple procedure. Any ideas on diets meals or anything to help keep weight on.

The hospital where the surgery was done should have a dietician/nutritionist answer your questions. I would try to get facts, not opinions on what works.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Why did you have the whipple procedure? Do you have an oncology team to work with to provide some dietary guidance?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    My aunt had this surgery and she has to eat very small amounts throughout the day and night.

She has drinks from her doctor that also help her get her calories and nutrition in.

Wishing you good health, hers is a secondary from her kidney which was removed a few years ago.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I know someone who had it and could not tolerate much fat even after recovery. From what I know, each surgery is different and two people may have different needs and tolerances. I think this is best left to your doctors.
  • morgan30fla
    Options
    Thanks out there for all the advice. It all helps. What we can eat and how it affects us is different for all of us but again knowledge is power and Drs can only help so much
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    My dad had a terrible time with food after his procedure. Mostly liquids, I think.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    A lower fat diet with plenty of fiber and smaller, but more often meals. Seems like the most logical to me.

Depending on what exactly and how much of what gets removed, you'll need to adjust accordingly.

The pancreas produces bile, while helps emulsify fat and make it easier to digest in the beginning of the small intestine (duedenum). Partial removal will mean less bile made.

The gall bladder stores extra bile for future use. If there is no bile stored, new bile has to be made in the pancreas. Note the issue above if the pancreas is compromised.

Without the gall bladder, bile can sit in the duedenum which is not good for you. Fiber can absorb some of this bile and help it move out of your system.

With gall bladder removal, a high fiber diet with frequent smaller meals is usually recommended. With a compromised (but by how much) pancreas, a lower fat diet would be warranted as well.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    What can you safely eat right now? Can you eat fat? Do you need to eat frequently? Maybe that would be a good place to start experimenting?
  • morgan30fla
    Options
    What can you safely eat right now? Can you eat fat? Do you need to eat frequently? Maybe that would be a good place to start experimenting?
    For my diet lowfat and low sugar is the way to go. I eat alot of chicken , egg whites, wheat toast, veggies, some fruit. I stay away from things high in fiber, dairy, and of coarse fats and sugars. The biggest problem is the changes my body has and figuring out what i can eat while on the go in an emergency. I graze on food thru out the day so I dont always have enough food with me and i work on an island with very few choices. Thanks for the insite it is appreciated