I finally get it - how do people eat this much (healthy food)?

Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited March 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I mean I can eat greasy fried food or pizza galore. I mean I can devour an 18" pizza no problem but veggies are very filling to me...I'm a vegetarian and trying to up my protein. I always rolled my eyes when people said "I can't hit my calories" like then how did we get fat??? But no no it's not the same for me either... (and yes I weigh my food)

So just in my first attempt at this so don't judge but this is what I have pre-logged:

1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cucumber + 2 tbsp salsa verde

Wonderslim (a diet food) spicy cheese and pasta, 1 tbsp sour cream, fresh spinach

Romaine lettuce "wraps" with veggie bacon, hard boiled egg + an extra white, 1 tbsp parmesan

Small omelet with veggie sausage, fresh jalapenos and sharp cheddar

Veggie tenders (mock chicken), baby carrots and a few sticks of celery with 2 tbsp Mediterranean vegetable cream cheese

More veggie sausage with marinated fresh mozzarella, grape tomatoes

Spinach (salad amount), 1 tbsp of ranch (+ 1 serving of flamin' hot fritos)

I will admit tossed in 1 serving of flamin' hot fritos because they're amazing with spinach and ranch lol and I would rather not waste what's left because I love those chips more than words can explain. Also, I had a 10 calorie diet tea, but I barely hit a bit over 1,300 calories and I was thinking of exercising today with my kids (wii fit) and I usually work up a sweat for a while on there (probably play with them a few hours) on top of my normal activity. I think my BMR is 1500. I can usually eat all day nonstop by I notice I feel extra full from fresh vegetables. What's up with that?!? Lol. Could it be fiber? or something else in them making me feel full? Is there anyway to help it? I actually get LESS hungry when I exercise so I'm lost. Maybe I should nap or something lol... (opposite of exercise) Could it also be the mix of veggies and water? I drink a lot of water. I want to be able to eat the protein and vegetables without the stomach ache. Any idea how I might help this? Any tips?

P.S. I know my diet isn't CLEAN but it is way better than all microwaved frozen processed pasta and fried food which is what I would normally eat. I have 3 kids (7, 6 and 3) and the younger two are non-verbal with autism plus I am a full-time college student and my kids all have different dietary needs. So, please understand before you rant at me that I am doing what I can with the time I have available.

Replies

• Verity1111
    edited March 2018
    First, it sounds like you might not be weighing your solid foods, so it's possible you're eating more than you think.

If you are confident that you're failing to meet your calorie goal, try eliminating the diet foods and don't use calorie cutting "hacks" like eating just the egg white.

I am weighing it. It's just I am trying to eat more fresh vegetables but it makes me feel extra full so it's harder to fit in the protein. I'm not failing to meet it but failing to meet it without a belly ache lol like is there anything to ease the difficulties of it. I really want to be able to get protein in and fresh veggies without the stomach ache.
  • Verity1111
    So all of your tbsp measurements are actually how many grams?

Yep. 28g per ounce etc but I just didnt want to go read all the grams right now lol I check my diary before each meal to weigh them. Honestly I have no idea what the problem is. Maybe it's going from 0 fiber to at least some even if it's not as much as I need. Does fiber make you feel full? Because I also never got much at all...sometimes literally 0 grams
  • Verity1111

and if you meant exactly the cream cheese is 30g, cottage cheese is 113g off the top of my head... the only thing I dont always weigh is celery because I didnt see a grams listing and celery is very low calorie. I only eat about 3 sticks at a time.
  • Verity1111
    edited March 2018
    Eat fewer vegetables so you can add more protein.

I will be honest that I am clueless about what enough vegetables is per day... I was trying to eat a bit healthier since I'm always tired/sick (I may have an autoimmune disease). I probably need to look up what's necessary. Maybe I am over the needed value :/ The listed is about 100g protein. I was told 0.8-1g per lb of goal weight. Goal is 115lbs so I went with 92-115g per day.
  • Verity1111
    edited March 2018
    Verity1111 wrote: »

Yep. 28g per ounce etc but I just didnt want to go read all the grams right now lol I check my diary before each meal to weigh them. Honestly I have no idea what the problem is. Maybe it's going from 0 fiber to at least some even if it's not as much as I need. Does fiber make you feel full? Because I also never got much at all...sometimes literally 0 grams

I don't eat that much veg... I would be bored of cucumber before I'd eaten half of one... I agree with ditching the egg whites and anything low fat for the full-fat versions.

Thanks! Again I am new to this. I am a taco, pizza, mountains of cheese, chips and pasta person... I really don't know what to drop and keep. I sure have missed egg yolks though so that's good to read. I thought I was still not even eating enough vegetables so maybe I am overdoing it which is why I feel so full? I am going to do a bit more reading to see if there's anything in particular that may cause me to feel this way...apart from fiber because I really know nothing about vegetables as far as how much to eat or how they may affect how your body feels, except that they should be eaten every day. Which is sad since I'm a vegetarian and have been for 12 years.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

I will be honest that I am clueless about what enough vegetables is per day... I was trying to eat a bit healthier since I'm always tired/sick (I may have an autoimmune disease). I probably need to look up what's necessary. Maybe I am over the needed value :/ The listed is about 100g protein. I was told 0.8-1g per lb of goal weight. Goal is 115lbs so I went with 92-115g per day.

Well 800g is recommended...

I get anywhere between 200g- 600g a day, I get over 20g of fibre so I'm happy. I'm a massive meat water as well though.

Bean & lentils are good for protein.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    First, it sounds like you might not be weighing your solid foods, so it's possible you're eating more than you think.

If you are confident that you're failing to meet your calorie goal, try eliminating the diet foods and don't use calorie cutting "hacks" like eating just the egg white.

I am weighing it. It's just I am trying to eat more fresh vegetables but it makes me feel extra full so it's harder to fit in the protein. I'm not failing to meet it but failing to meet it without a belly ache lol like is there anything to ease the difficulties of it. I really want to be able to get protein in and fresh veggies without the stomach ache.

Well, vegetables are good for you, but you *need* meet your need for protein as well. If the vegetables are interfering with your ability to meet your nutritional needs, you'll have to eat less of them. Or, if you don't dislike cooked vegetables, trying incorporating some of those. I often find it easier to eat larger quantities of cooked vegetables.
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    This is just a suggestion and I'm just going by the foods your posted above, but maybe the veggie "meats" (veggie tenders, veggie sausage and veggie bacon) you are eating have ingredients that are bothering your stomach or making you feel too full. What do they contain?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Too much of anything is not good. You can overdo it on the vegetable intake. When I did the 10 fruit/ vegetable challenge it was causing me some painful stomach cramping. I backed off some and feel better.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member

I get anywhere between 200g- 600g a day, I get over 20g of fibre so I'm happy. I'm a massive meat water as well though.

Where I live it's 600g of fruits (2 servings for 120g) and veggies (3 servings of 120g) per day, which seems a lot more realistic than 800g of veggies alone, especially if someone isn't used to eating that much fresh veggies. :astonished:

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

Where I live it's 600g of fruits (2 servings for 120g) and veggies (3 servings of 120g) per day, which seems a lot more realistic than 800g of veggies alone, especially if someone isn't used to eating that much fresh veggies. :astonished:

Sorry, should have said 800g of fruit and veg, not just veg.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    You're getting all of that food in for 1300 calories? It might depend on the brands and the portion sizes, but I'm also a vegetarian on 1300 calories, and something seems off to me here.
  • Verity1111

Omg I thought you meant protein LOL! I was like WOAHHH I may not be a dietician but that's bs haha
  • Verity1111
    edited March 2018
    AliceDark wrote: »
    You're getting all of that food in for 1300 calories? It might depend on the brands and the portion sizes, but I'm also a vegetarian on 1300 calories, and something seems off to me here.

Probably portion size then. I weigh everything I eat so it's definitely 1300-1400. It's a bit over 1300 actually. When I eat carrots it's only like 6 baby carrots at a time, 3 sticks of celery when I eat celery. A whole cucumber. For sausage I have 1 patty at a time (45-80 calories depending on the brand and 6-10g protein again depends on which brand I pick at the time) and then for eggs in an omelette I usually do 1 egg and 3 or four egg whites or 2 eggs. For cheese only 0.5 oz or 1 oz serving usually. Sometimes I'll do 2oz if I feel up to it/really am craving cheese. Brands are basic brands. Hood brand cottage cheese, Sargento thin grated sharp cheddar, Arla cream cheese (50 cal per around 2 tbsp which is 30g on the label). Plus veggie bacon I eat is 20 calories per slice and I eat 2 or 3 slices. Just to give an idea. But MFP did all the addition lol I just logged it.
  • Verity1111
    I think it sounds way too complicated. How about small portions of food you like and adding in SOME vegetables?

I honestly thought I was....I thought I wasn't eating enough? I don't eat a lot at a time as far as vegetablles. It's like 6 baby carrots at a time with 3 sticks of celery as I said. I do love spinach so I eat a lot of that even if it makes me full. But again I didn't realize it was 800g of fruit and veg for the entire day...I might be going over when I am eating a whole cucumber, a spinach salad, plus carrots and celery twice a day plus peppers etc... and I don't like fruit... I'm allergic to most of it.