4% cottage cheese. Good or bad?

Options
I've been eating this as a side lately. 150 cals and 18 grams of protein so I assume this js a great snack to compliment my lifting plan

That said, does it hurt that I am choosing the 4% over the less fat versions? I can't stand the taste of anything under 4

Thanks

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Good because tasty!
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    One of my favorite foods...fairly low carb but you can always tweak it with additions (fruit, nuts, oats, cereal, etc.) based on what your specific macros & goal(s). Very little lactose overall (more tolerable). I can't imagine the fat content is anything too drastic to worry about unless this is more of an opportunity/trade off for some other food you prefer more (also containing similar fat content)

good? bad? how about neutral...boils down to your goals
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I always eat as high-fat of dairy as I can find - whole milk, full-fat cream cheese, 4% cottage cheese (if it came in a higher percentage, I'd probably buy it!)

There's no reason to limit your dietary fat unless you have some sort of medical reason to do so. High fat foods improve satiety, as do high protein foods. I had 180g of 4% cottage cheese and an iced coffee with whole milk and protein powder for my pre-workout snack today and I still feel satisfied 3 hours later.

Personally, I try to hit my protein and fat macros first and let the carbs fall where they may, because I never have trouble getting adequate carbs.

ETA: ad the above poster said, it can be very versatile, too. Some people add salt and pepper or veggies or tuna (ALL the proteins) and for a long time I went through a kick of adding honey and dark cocoa powder to mine for a sweet treat.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I love the 4% the most. When I'm bulking I have it more often. When I'm cutting it's usually 1-2% because I prefer to get fat elsewhere.
  • HvymetalMG
    HvymetalMG Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Great!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I would definitely be choosing the 4% if I didn't have poverty macros
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I regularly buy a gallon of whole milk for $2 on sale at Dillon's which is similar in protein content. Maybe someone will enlighten me, but I find swigging down some milk is tastier, cheaper, and faster.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I don't do low fat versions of anything. The flavor is so much better that it's worth it to fit it into my calorie allotment, especially cottage cheese and milk.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Questions like this were where the acronym 'IIFYM' (If It Fits Your Macros) was born. Alan Aragon and a few others came up with it on bodybuilding.com when people would ask "Can I eat <insert food here>?" or "Is <insert food here> good or bad?". Their answers were condensed down to "IIFYM" - if it fits your macros (and calories, of course), any food is perfectly fine.

FWIW, I don't consider any food as "good" or "bad". I consider how it fits in the overall context of my diet.

In regards to the original question, I eat low fat, no salt added cottage cheese because I don't mind the taste and I get more bang for my buck in terms of calories. I'm good with a lot of substitutions that allow me to eat more food.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    HvymetalMG wrote: »
    I've been eating this as a side lately. 150 cals and 18 grams of protein so I assume this js a great snack to compliment my lifting plan

That said, does it hurt that I am choosing the 4% over the less fat versions? I can't stand the taste of anything under 4

Thanks

Does it hurt what?
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    It's not good and it's not bad.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Nutritionally, it’s neither good nor bad. Taste? Pure Evil.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    HvymetalMG wrote: »

Thanks

If it fits your macros....No food is good or bad. I have 3325 calories to work with, so I get a combination of everything. Each food serves it's purpouse, some it's because I just love the taste even though nutritionally it isn't great...but there are other foods in my diet that help me with my micronutrients and fiber goals...some food I choose because of their high protein macro...and so on. As long I hit my minimum protein and fats, as long as I am near or at my caloric daily intake, as long as my fiber and micronutrients goals are met...there is no good or bad food. I fuel my body with the foods that I enjoy and I make sure my diet as a whole meets all my goals.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Dairy %'s are so confusing...........4% cottage cheese is full fat. So it would be like choosing whole milk, just pick whatever fits your macros.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    I don't do low fat versions of anything. The flavor is so much better that it's worth it to fit it into my calorie allotment, especially cottage cheese and milk.

This. Whole milk greek yogurt, too. Lower fat versions are icky.