How do you "get back on the wagon"?

Options
Ok, so I fell off. BAD. It all started when we went on vacation. Now I am trying to stick to my calories, and I am successful during the day but when my fiance gets home he wants to eat crap. AND WANTS ME TO EAT CRAP WITH HIM!!! I am weak so I give in. I also stopped taking my Zoloft. That was out of laziness. I think the Zoloft helped me feel like I could actually lose weight and kept me on an even keel mentally. Who knows. I need to get back to taking my vitamins and meds and eating right and exercising. How do you "get back on the wagon"?

Replies

• whisperingdragon
    Options
    You forget about yesterday. Today is a brand new day. Don't look back.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    As Nike says..."Just Do It"....Put it in your mind and stick with it....
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Just start over. Track your calories religiously. Prepare meals ahead of time. Plan what you're going to eat every meal. Have plenty of healthy snacks around.

I hadn't really fallen off, but rather stalled. I wasn't keeping up with it. I was eating better, but wasn't keeping to my strict calorie limit. I was eating out a lot. I finally got on the scale after about 2 months and realized I gained a little. That was motivation for me to start over.

I've stepped up my exercise and am watching what I eat a lot more. It's easy.
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "just do it" mentality. I also believe in the "just say no" mentality when it comes to your fiance :)
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Just get on like you never fell off, basically...
  • MissesCampbell
    MissesCampbell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In asking the question, you are already back on the wagon.....congratulations! There is no failure, only obstacles to hurdle; which in turn, make you stronger. Stay Motivated!
  • cnewyou
    cnewyou Posts: 40
    Options
    It doesn't have to be all or nothing. ry doing one thing at a time. Log all of your food for a week. Then add exercise the next week. Baby steps. You'll get back on track!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    You forget about yesterday. Today is a brand new day. Don't look back.

This is perfect! Plan your meals for the rest of the week, take your meds as soon as you get up and do your workout. Remember when you workout your endorphins get released and you feel 100 times better. :)
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i set one small goal (like get in 2 works outs this week, or log EVERYTHING, or whatever) and just focus on that. then next week i'll add another goal. These goals must be easy to achieve and they help me to get on the wagon.

I also put post-it notes with reminders of why I want to be healthy on my fridge and pantry so I'm reminded of my motivation whenever i'm tempted.

GOod luck!
  • Pucker508
    Pucker508 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I completely understand the feeling, and your situation. Vacations are a killer for me. For starters, I want to be able to go on vacation and actually enjoy myself and not worry about counting calories! But of course then that makes it just that much harder when I come home. Some things I do to get back on track:

1. I don't weigh myself right after a vacation: this is a mental thing. I know myself...if I see a weight gain (which of course I will after a vacation) then I automatically feel defeated and I "give up" in a way.
    2. Try to start cooking for your fiance (if your into that) or if he is the cook...give him healthy recipes you want him to try. My husband and I cook for four...but there's only two of us! So, right away, I give myself what I can half (1/4 of the recipe) and either offer him the rest, or put the other 1/4 into a container for my lunch right away.
    3. Just tell yourself...I can do just one more day. For just one day get yourself back on the wagon...once you've done that, you will feel much better and most likely will continue.

Hope this helps!
  • fitnessGETZeasy
    fitnessGETZeasy Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    First of all, I don't think you're supposed to stop taking those kinds of meds cold turkey. You may want to talk to your doc about that. Second, tell Mr. Fiance you heard your sex drive increases when you lose weight. Maybe he'll start craving veggie trays instead of junk. ;-) Hang in there. You've got this. Vacation can derail anyone. Obstacles are just in the way to see how badly you really want to reach your goals.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Just get on like you never fell off, basically...

Exactly.

Don't over-think it. Don't ruminate on past mistakes. The best way is to make a plan for the day and stick to it like your life depends on it.

I'm getting back on the wagon, too, and once you get into the rhythm of things it feels GREAT.

Resist the temptation to eat junk with the fiance. You could encourage him to eat healthy with you, as a supportive partner should anyway, but I know that in reality people can be stubborn and he might refuse.
    When he tries to get you to eat crap with him, you could say, "Fine, I'll eat that if you eat a stalk of celery first." It's worked for me before... it gets my brother to stop offering me crap, because he doesn't want to be offered health food!
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    In asking the question, you are already back on the wagon.....congratulations! There is no failure, only obstacles to hurdle; which in turn, make you stronger. Stay Motivated!

i totally agree you never really got off the wagon its just all part of the journey which will never run straight just by asking for help that proves it just get on with it like you did in the beginning
  • red_hatorade
    Options
    It doesn't have to be all or nothing. ry doing one thing at a time. Log all of your food for a week. Then add exercise the next week. Baby steps. You'll get back on track!

I LOVE this! Thank you!