What is a serving size for...

Options
How do you calculate a severing size for a recipe? I made a low fodmap meat Ratatouille but I am clueless on what to put as a serving size.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    100 grams, or 1 gram, usually makes it easiest to log.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    For me, a serving size is the amount I'm planning to eat in one meal. It varies.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    If the recipe says "serves 4", you can say a serving size is 1/4 of the prepared dish.
    Or you can weigh the completed recipe and enter "1 gram" as a serving. Weigh each portion you remove and add that many servings to your diary (ie: 20 grams = 20 servings).

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Actually, you don't "put" or "enter" the serving size when you use the MFP recipe builder. The information it expects you to enter is the number of servings. Yes, they're obviously related, but don't go typing "1" in the number of servings field and then think you can log the number of grams you served yourself, but that will multiply the entire recipe's calories by the number of the grams you ate.

After calculating the number of servings I want it to be (which I enter in the appropriate field) and how much the weight of each serving is, I always include the serving size in the name of the recipes (e.g., "Apricot Almond Breach, srvg = 38 g.).
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    erased - pretty much a dupe of another answer I didn't see at first
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Weigh your finished dish minus the pot or dish. If it weighs 100 grams, then enter the recipe as 100 servings. Weigh the amount you serve yourself. If your serving weighs 30 grams , then enter that you ate 30 servings.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Weigh your finished dish minus the pot or dish. If it weighs 100 grams, then enter the recipe as 100 servings. Weigh the amount you serve yourself. If your serving weighs 30 grams , then enter that you ate 30 servings.

Yes this is awesome advice. I found it very helpful. Thanks for the great explanation.