Elimination diet

Options
I suffer from chronic hives and I can think of no trigger except my diet. I do have some of the symptoms from food sensitivities and,I am allergic to foods, Esspecially apples, derived from birch pollen (trees pollunated with birch tree pollen). Woukd it be worth it to experiment with it? Exclude dairy, wheat,eggs, and gluten from my diet individually for a week or so then reintroduce them and see how I feel?

Replies

• bumpbreakcar
    bumpbreakcar Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You might need to do longer than a week, and reintroduce the foods one by one. I cute out wheat, gluten and eggs.... occasionally I have eggs when it used in a meal but I never eat them but itself.dairy is very limited, with maybe some cheese occasionally. It’s really made a difference and I feel a lot better, less stomach issues and random hives!

Give it a go it’s not as bad anymore with all the alternative food solutions they have everywhere
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I also have chronic hives. Mine are due to pressure and haven't noticed any difference with diet changes. I'd love to know how your experiment goes. Feel free to add me if you'd like and feel better cause I know they suck.
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My advice would to journal/keep track of what you eat and how you feel afterwards. When you have a baby, they often say give the baby the same thing for a few day and see how they do and then start incorporating other foods. It may seem like a pain, but it might help.
  • staraly
    staraly Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If you are going to do an elimination diet, it should ideally be under the guidance of a nutritionist or a doctor who knows what they are doing. They would also be able to identify certain associations that the lay person may not even realise exist and allergies you've never heard of. You should also have proper allergy testing done by a dermatologist - both the skin prick test and the skin patch test. BTW a true birch pollen allergy, aka oral allergy syndrome, can cause anaphylaxis and can be life threatening. To be safe, I would strongly recommend you work through this problem with a medical professional.
  • emilycramsey19
    emilycramsey19 Posts: 15 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

staraly wrote: »
    If you are going to do an elimination diet, it should ideally be under the guidance of a nutritionist or a doctor who knows what they are doing. They would also be able to identify certain associations that the lay person may not even realise exist and allergies you've never heard of. You should also have proper allergy testing done by a dermatologist - both the skin prick test and the skin patch test. BTW a true birch pollen allergy, aka oral allergy syndrome, can cause anaphylaxis and can be life threatening. To be safe, I would strongly recommend you work through this problem with a medical professional.

I currently see an allergist. Ive had allergy testing done twice over a period of time. One,being a few days ago. They said I do indeed have oral,allergy syndrome along with hives with an unknown trigger. Btw everyone reacts to an,allergy differently. My face swelling up,twice its size when I eat foods that were pollinated by birch tree pollen is an,allergy.

I have had allergy testing done. I currently see an,allergist and theyre doing more testing. A doctor diagbosed me as having oral allergy syndrome. Every one experiences an allergy differently.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I also have chronic hives. Mine are due to pressure and haven't noticed any difference with diet changes. I'd love to know how your experiment goes. Feel free to add me if you'd like and feel better cause I know they suck.

Have you ever found a doctor knowledgeable about mast cell activation disorders, by any chance? Pressure based hives are pretty common with that, but the disorder is so rare that most doctors don’t know recognize it or even know how to test for it. Or incorrectly think certain symptoms, like anaphylaxis, must be present in order to have it.

There are some mcad support groups on facebook that sometimes can give you knowledgeable doctor names in your area, if you want to explore it.

• Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    When I do an elimination diet, it usually takes at least 3-4 weeks for all my symptoms to disappear completely so I wouldn't think a week would be long enough. You might get some relief in a couple days, but not complete relief.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Have you ever found a doctor knowledgeable about mast cell activation disorders, by any chance? Pressure based hives are pretty common with that, but the disorder is so rare that most doctors don’t know recognize it or even know how to test for it. Or incorrectly think certain symptoms, like anaphylaxis, must be present in order to have it.

There are some mcad support groups on facebook that sometimes can give you knowledgeable doctor names in your area, if you want to explore it.

[/quote]

I have not heard of that. My doctor recognized it right away with pictures, etc and some blood tests. I think I'm okay right now. Thank you though. How is the elimination working?